Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Skip roping like a pro. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've recently started skip roping to improve my endurance, agility etc as part of my mma training. The only problem is that I'm not as good as I hoped I'd be. I can skip but after 20 seconds or so I hit the rope against my feet. Tips etc?

ReputationRep:
    Practice? Surely you'll soon get better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WarmEye)
    I've recently started skip roping to improve my endurance, agility etc as part of my mma training. The only problem is that I'm not as good as I hoped I'd be. I can skip but after 20 seconds or so I hit the rope against my feet. Tips etc?

Practice, Practice and Practice.

Rope skipping is something which improves the more you do it, hence building endurance and coordination. Skip about 1000 to 1500 if u r a beginner.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm doing the same thing for similar reasons (improvement for karate).
    I can't do any fancy patterns yet, but I keep my elbows fixed to my side, and generate the movement of the rope from my wrists.
    As the others have said, practise, practise, practise lol.
    The more you do it the more you will get used to the timings.

Best of luck

Rather Game Than Revise

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any ropes that they recommend? this is something I would like to take up.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's "skipping rope like a pro" and not "skip roping like a pro"

no further comment...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwwhty)
    Has anyone got any ropes that they recommend? this is something I would like to take up.
    Lol any rope will do unless it's flexible and not heavy.

OP perhaps you don't synchronise perfectly or perhaps you sway a bit out of balance or perhaps you tend to accelerate/decelerate the rope spinning without adjusting your jumps. I dunno. It isn't that hard.

ReputationRep:
    Yes just practice. And don't listen to Vegitto - trying to count "skips" will distract you from maintaining coordination and breathing.

ReputationRep:
    Go for one of those cheap plastic ones from sportsdirect or something..rather than those leather or kiddy ones.

For training wise, maybe do 30 secs on/30 secs rest over and over and then build up as you get fitter...i use to skip all the time and my stamina was amazing back then..

ReputationRep:
    Practise everyday. Skip outside in the fresh air. + do more cardio? :dontknow: helped me. Oh and practise in the mornings :yep:

beat my score of 111 skips :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have quite a nice leather one which cost me less than £10 off the internet somewhere (Amazon seems to ring a bell..). It also has replacable weights in the handles so you can work your arms a bit, though they're completely removable so until you get proficient at it you can just take them out. This skipping rope seems to have done me well, though I havn't tried any of the plastic ones. I'd say it would go a bit slower then anything plastic though as the rope is much thicker and heavier.

As regards to hitting it on your feet, just keep at it, practice makes perfect. Perhaps try jumping a touch higher, it will be more tiring though will stop it from hitting your feet as much.

I also find it can get rather boring at times (thus where checking out some alternative skipping techniques on Youtube can come in), so I do it whilst listening to music or watching TV. Often i'll pop on a movie and skip in phases throughout it (you need high ceilings to do it indoors though - and watch out for lights!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed_jnr)
    I have quite a nice leather one which cost me less than £10 off the internet somewhere (Amazon seems to ring a bell..). It also has replacable weights in the handles so you can work your arms a bit, though they're completely removable so until you get proficient at it you can just take them out. This skipping rope seems to have done me well, though I havn't tried any of the plastic ones. I'd say it would go a bit slower then anything plastic though as the rope is much thicker and heavier.

As regards to hitting it on your feet, just keep at it, practice makes perfect. Perhaps try jumping a touch higher, it will be more tiring though will stop it from hitting your feet as much.

I also find it can get rather boring at times (thus where checking out some alternative skipping techniques on Youtube can come in), so I do it whilst listening to music or watching TV. Often i'll pop on a movie and skip in phases throughout it (you need high ceilings to do it indoors though - and watch out for lights!).
    That Oscar Wilde quote in your sig :top: :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    That Oscar Wilde quote in your sig :top: :awesome:
    Haha. Glad someone appreciates it. Not sure anyone on the fashion subforum will take on board any advice from me now though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwwhty)
    I use a a reebok speed rope.
    http://www.phd-fitness.co.uk/store/p...large/3137.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rather game than revise)
    I use a a reebok speed rope.
    http://www.phd-fitness.co.uk/store/p...large/3137.jpg
    i use the same rope

i used to skip a lot, its really good. it's one of those things that you'll get better and better at as you do it more. Soon start adding criss-crosses, double roping, and other transitions to work on coordination.... lemme find the youtube vid i watched back when i was skipping...

here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVkYjp4mqnc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD3uicAYtdw

and floyd mayweather jr if you feel like skipping to look good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B2Vrg1Y25c

ReputationRep:
    I've got those ropes but i don't like them becasue they are too light.

I use to use cheap sports direct ones which were £2/£3 pound. They were black and awesome and speedy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    Practise everyday. Skip outside in the fresh air. + do more cardio? :dontknow: helped me. Oh and practise in the mornings :yep:

beat my score of 111 skips :p:
    ******* easy, 460 skips in one go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    I think it's "skipping rope like a pro" and not "skip roping like a pro"

no further comment...
    Pro liking rope a skip?

ReputationRep:
    It's just practice, like people have said. Eventually it will become second nature. I'd suggest researching some different jumping patterns and such; I used to have to do two jumps per leg then switch as a warm up for tennis, then consecutive double skips which is fun :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    ******* easy, 460 skips in one go.
    :yy: woah someone takes it seriously. i'm still working on it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.