Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Girls - have you ever been scared of bf? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I find myself feeling scared of my bf quite a lot these days
    He has a really bad temper. Punched me in the stomach and pushed me over before
    I tend to sit in my bedroom with my back against the door and my feet against the chest of drawers so he cant get in
    I stay there for about 30 mins and thats enough time for him to calm down and apologise
    I know I should walk away from him but deep down i do love him and I know he loves me too.
    Someone who loves you wouldn't hit you.

ReputationRep:
    These are the kind of jerk behaviours that women seem to love.
    Women like the OP, yeah, but thankfully some of us actually have some self-respect.

Strangely whilst I have an incredibly short temper most of the time, I manage to always be astoundingly calm around my fiance. He's normally absolutely fine, too. Except when he has that one drink that just tips the balance too much.

I've known all sorts of reactions come from drinking too much, but unfortunately my fiance is one hell of an argumentative drunk (which is so unlike him normally) and he has one thing which KEEPS cropping up and obviously really bugs him (he thinks I slept with one of his friends years before we got together. As it happens, I didn't. Said friend has an evil sense of humour and made some joke about how good I was in bed, which my fiance took absolutely seriously). I can deny this until I'm blue in the face and wanting to strangle him, but he'll still rant on about it. I've found that saying nothing and popping to the bathroom for 5 mins generally works - he's asleep when I get back and has no recollection of it in the morning.

I must stop him drinking. Otherwise he's absolutely lovely.

ReputationRep:
    pff u girls need to get the **** over it, its okay for you to get pissed but when its your man, you get scared ********, ahahah no wonder you are the weaker sex

ReputationRep:
    Deffinately not. Any kind of intimidation like that, you need to stop immediately, because it would only get worse, and will only be a matter of time before he starts using violence to get what he wants.

I tend to sit in my bedroom with my back against the door and my feet against the chest of drawers so he cant get in
    I stay there for about 30 mins and thats enough time for him to calm down and apologise
    I know I should walk away from him but deep down i do love him and I know he loves me too.
    You're just too afraid no-one else will be with you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't tolerate it, OP! It's not right. Tell him that it mustn't happen again or he'll carry on doing it.

I have been scared of him. My boyfriend occasionally gets angry to the point where he would quite possibly severely hurt someone, yet thankfully has never hit me. He has once hurt me while I was restraining him, but I know it wasn't done to purposely hurt me, rather to break away from me.
    His violence is never directed at me, but I'm usually there when it happens and it is scary because he's a lot bigger than me. If it ever was aimed at me, or he ever laid a finger on me I would be out of there straight away.

ReputationRep:
    that's a great sex position, up against the wall. Feels tight.

Erm.. no, don't tolerate it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends on the situation and what's actually happened as to whether you should walk away or what...

Yes, I was once scared of my ex. We'd been drinking and were having an awful night (which he spent chatting up other girls and leaving me on my own). I was in a really bad mood and knew how to wind him up (just wouldn't talk to him). He pushed me against a wall in a club and got totally in my face telling me to tell him what was wrong. My friends were all there and one of my best (girl) friends was gonna go for him... lol, but we resolved it. I knew it was partly my fault, alcohol was involved and he didn't actually hurt me - just scared me for that moment. Despite that though it was the beginning of the end with us ...

My best friend has a similar kind of relationship. They're lovely together when they're sober but when they get drunk in public he gets paranoid and she gets flirty. They wind each other up. I've witnessed him with his hands around her throat and her punching him in the eye once (when he called her some nasty name to loadsa lads).

It's easy to say walk away in these kind of situations and relationships but I think sometimes it really does depend on whether you can control the anger stimulus, how far it's gone and whether the relationship itself is worth trying to salvage

ReputationRep:
    i'm a guy and i never get violent
    never been in a fight
    i try not to get into petty arguments either

hate violence as i was brought up in a violent household
    never want to do the same so now i'm calm as a hindu cow

its cool

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been intimidated or scared of your boyfriend? Has your boyfriend ever been aggressive towards you in anger or lost his temper and got up close in your face?

Not hitting, no violence, but very aggressive and stuff like getting you up against a wall and saying angry things? Have you forgiven him after? would you tolerate it because you can understand he's just angry and it's all in the heat of the moment? Or would you not accept that sort of behaviour?

anybody been in this position before? :erm:
    Alarm bells should be ringing. Leave him.
    If alarm bells haven't rung for you already somethings really going wrong. Nothing you can do to him merits violence.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.