Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Nystagmus watch

    • Thread Starter

    I have recently been diagnosed with an eye condition called nystagmus. This presents itself as a constant involuntary eye movement, which causes a blurred image to be received. This is not noticeable and sometimes I adopt a slight headturn in order to sharpen the image. There is little medically that can be done to reduce its effects, mainly because the causes remain a mystery.

    This has resulted in me not being allowed to drive. I am quite concerned about this, especially when most people can learn, even though I am a reasonably clever person. This has just left me wondering how I am going to manage the normal activities of life, such as finding a job, moving house etc.

    I would be very grateful for any advice that people can offer.

    Many thanks

    Move into a city centre where the majority of people never drive.

    Most apartment blocks built nowadays don't even have parking spaces. Where I live in W1U, pretty much all friends and neighbours don't drive.

    I'm the only one who does - it's an extremely expensive commodity, and thinking about it, I'd be a rich guy without a vehicle.

    Live in areas where driving is not necessary.
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    Someone at work has that. He cycles to work every day - even in the snow.

    One of my friends has that and her eyes jump around noticeably so she obviously can't pass the sight test to drive. It doesn't hold her back in any other way though except for confidence as people tend to look at her eyes spinning around rather than at her when they're talking to her but she still does everything that everyone else does and you probably wouldn't really unless she told you.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 17, 2010
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.