Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transferring from a German university to UK uni watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am asking this on behalf of a friend who is utterly clueless. I am not sure if anyone TSR would even know the answer to this but it's worth a shot

Basically, the person in question is at Bewerbung university and needs to transfer to a UK uni. She is in the third term and has completed 3 semesters. I don't know what on earth that means in terms of a German/UK comparison so I was wondering whether anyone who is aware of both systems could tell me where she is currently in terms of a UK undergraduate course. She is doing Business Insurance and Finance and wishes to do Business Management at a UK uni. So, when applying to a UK uni, would she have to apply for entry into year 1, 2 or 3?

Many Thanks in advance :yes:

ReputationRep:
    You can't transfer credits, she'd have to start the course here from the first day of the first year. It's really difficult (if not impossible) to have a transfer of credits within UK unis, so for it to be done between a German university is very, very unlikely. She'd have to apply as a prospective undergraduate and start the course from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acidicgirl)
    Hi,

Many Thanks in advance :yes:
    Do you know what course she is doing in Germany - 3 or 5 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sun-is-shining)
    Do you know what course she is doing in Germany - 3 or 5 years?
    It's a 3 year Bachelor course in Business Insurance and Finance. She has been told that her uni in Germany is a partner uni with Kingston, Nottingham Trent, Thames Valley and Sheffield and that it may be possible to secure a transfer.

She really has to move as her entire family is in the UK now, including her husband!

ReputationRep:
    It's a 3 year Bachelor course in Business Insurance and Finance. She has been told that her uni in Germany is a partner uni with Kingston, Nottingham Trent, Thames Valley and Sheffield and that it may be possible to secure a transfer.

She really has to move as her entire family is in the UK now, including her husband!

Than it shouldn't be too difficult, the Bologna process made the degress comparable and 3 semester in Germany equals 3 semester in the UK. However, she has to see if she took all the relevant courses which can only be done by calling the unis up and asking.

She might be lucky and apply for second year entry. If some courses are missing that are thought in the first year in the Uk but in the third in Germany than bad luck for her I guess. I could transfer credits so it is definitely possible.

Why does she want to move to the UK, I mean there are no tuitition fees in Germany and she can get financial support there which she would not get in the UK?!

ReputationRep:
    Than it shouldn't be too difficult, the Bologna process made the degress comparable and 3 semester in Germany equals 3 semester in the UK. However, she has to see if she took all the relevant courses which can only be done by calling the unis up and asking.

She might be lucky and apply for second year entry. If some courses are missing that are thought in the first year in the Uk but in the third in Germany than bad luck for her I guess. I could transfer credits so it is definitely possible.

Why does she want to move to the UK, I mean there are no tuitition fees in Germany and she can get financial support there which she would not get in the UK?!
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Did you go through the same thing? If so, would unis be willing to discuss the transfer of credits over the phone?

As for her reasons, there are many. She is a german national but has married a UK national and has a baby. Her parents also live in the UK as they emmigrated a few years ago so it just seems right that she should come here as she's struggling on her own over there.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? My ex is German, goes to a German uni and has to pay €500 per semester

Also, she could get financial help over here. My current girlfriend is also German and goes to uni here and gets money from the German government (which is called BAfoeg) and a normal student loan.

ReputationRep:
    On that note, do you know just how the german university is ranked and its reputation with germany? Because sometimes universities abroad that are relatively really good by their own country's standards partner up with unis that aren't as comparably good. Thames Valley and Kingston are really low ranked here, so she should make sure she's not giving up a place at a really good german university for a not as good UK university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Are you sure? My ex is German, goes to a German uni and has to pay €500 per semester

Also, she could get financial help over here. My current girlfriend is also German and goes to uni here and gets money from the German government (which is called BAfoeg) and a normal student loan.
    Some areas have tuitition fees, others don't. I was lucky and didn't have to pay anything :-)

Plus the girl in question would not continue her studies but start with a new degree which means that it's almost impossible to get Bafög here in the UK. If she would just do the same or if it would be her first course than yes, you are right and she would be able to get Bafög.

As a EU student she can get a tuitition fee loan but no other cash support (apart from money handed out by the university itself) which means that she will be in dept after finishing her degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Did you go through the same thing? If so, would unis be willing to discuss the transfer of credits over the phone?

As for her reasons, there are many. She is a german national but has married a UK national and has a baby. Her parents also live in the UK as they emmigrated a few years ago so it just seems right that she should come here as she's struggling on her own over there.
    Hull Uni was very lovely and I could transfer some of my credits - we did everything over the phone as I wasn't in Europe when I applied for uni in the UK.

Does she have a British passport as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    On that note, do you know just how the german university is ranked and its reputation with germany? Because sometimes universities abroad that are relatively really good by their own country's standards partner up with unis that aren't as comparably good. Thames Valley and Kingston are really low ranked here, so she should make sure she's not giving up a place at a really good german university for a not as good UK university.
    Apparently it's a pretty good uni, but she has limtied options due to having a baby and her parents wanting her to move back (they are wealthy so her finances is not an issue.)

She just wants to make sure that her 3 semesters at the German uni won't go to waste. She's already asked the uni to write her a reference in English so I hope it's going to work

ReputationRep:

Does she have a British passport as well?
    Nope, she was born in Germany and has lived there all her life. Will that complicate things?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure she'll "waste" at least 1 semester due to long-thin modules but I guess she could try applying for second year entry.

Re: passport. No, it's not going to make it more complicated and as you said money is not a problem it doesn't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure she'll "waste" at least 1 semester due to long-thin modules but I guess she could try applying for second year entry.

Re: passport. No, it's not going to make it more complicated and as you said money is not a problem it doesn't really matter.
    Ok thanks for all your pointers. I'll be phoning up the unis on Monday for her and will report back what they say

ReputationRep:
    I wish your friend all the best - compared to Germany it does rain a lot here but she'll get used to it soon :-)

ReputationRep:
    I wish your friend all the best - compared to Germany it does rain a lot here but she'll get used to it soon :-)
    And when she has, she'll have to get used to the other weird English things that all Germans seem to notice, like the none mixer taps, light switches on strings INSIDE the bathrooms, none German bread etc. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I misread third term for third year!

Yes she could apply for second year entry I guess. I don't think any UK unis would accept a third year transfer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    And when she has, she'll have to get used to the other weird English things that all Germans seem to notice, like the none mixer taps, light switches on strings INSIDE the bathrooms, none German bread etc. :tongue:
    So true, so true! Not just notice though, but rant a lot :p:

Slightly off topic but your girlfriend gets a student loan you said? From Germany or here? Because the Bafoeg I get is a bad joke I think, it's not even covering 3/4 of my rent and my mum really does not earn a lot and has to still pay off her house, a car etc. We were honestly told she wouldn't need any of them when asking why we have so little Bafoeg... So it would be great to know whether there is any more support I could claim somewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buecherwurm)
    So true, so true! Not just notice though, but rant a lot :p:

Slightly off topic but your girlfriend gets a student loan you said? From Germany or here? Because the Bafoeg I get is a bad joke I think, it's not even covering 3/4 of my rent and my mum really does not earn a lot and has to still pay off her house, a car etc. We were honestly told she wouldn't need any of them when asking why we have so little Bafoeg... So it would be great to know whether there is any more support I could claim somewhere
    Yeah she gets a student loan from the SLC to cover tuition fees, which are obviously about £3300 (oder so), so not sure if it's different because you're in Scotland. She doesn't get a maintenance loan, but she gets Bafoeg of about €300 a month. Her parents have a combined income of about €35.000 (that's kind of a guess, it may be 5k out or something) with no other dependants, however Friederike says it's also based on what you estimate your living costs to be. We already pay £900 a month for rent (together, not each) and then her tube ticket is another £60 a month so maybe she gets more because of that (if she does indeed get more than you...).

Btw did you get to enjoy the masses of Lehrte snow?

ReputationRep:
    It depends of the University, if they accept transfer or not. So she should choose some interesting Universities and just write the admission offices.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.