Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transferring from a German university to UK uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Yeah she gets a student loan from the SLC to cover tuition fees, which are obviously about £3300 (oder so), so not sure if it's different because you're in Scotland. She doesn't get a maintenance loan, but she gets Bafoeg of about €300 a month. Her parents have a combined income of about €35.000 (that's kind of a guess, it may be 5k out or something) with no other dependants, however Friederike says it's also based on what you estimate your living costs to be. We already pay £900 a month for rent (together, not each) and then her tube ticket is another £60 a month so maybe she gets more because of that (if she does indeed get more than you...).

Btw did you get to enjoy the masses of Lehrte snow?
    That is indeed way more than I get. I pay 300 pounds on rent at the moment so yeah, not as much as you guys. And no tube tickets for me.
    That said, I have not gotten anything for this year whatsoever, every time I call they tell me it will be through soon. So at the moment my mum pays for everything.
    I really like Germany but it took me about a minute to apply for getting my student loans payed here in Scotland and another 3 days for the letter to arrive, whereas by now it has been almost 9 months since I sent the stuff to Germany for my new student loan... Bureaucracy, really.

Snow was amazing, I loved it. Did you get to see any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buecherwurm)
    That is indeed way more than I get. I pay 300 pounds on rent at the moment so yeah, not as much as you guys. And no tube tickets for me.
    That said, I have not gotten anything for this year whatsoever, every time I call they tell me it will be through soon. So at the moment my mum pays for everything.
    I really like Germany but it took me about a minute to apply for getting my student loans payed here in Scotland and another 3 days for the letter to arrive, whereas by now it has been almost 9 months since I sent the stuff to Germany for my new student loan... Bureaucracy, really.

Snow was amazing, I loved it. Did you get to see any?
    You really like Germany? I thought you didn't like it and never want to go back? Or was that just specifically Lehrte? I'm not sure if it's worth it, but you could try speaking to them again to see if you could get more *shrug*

I was over there from 29th-6th so we saw all of it, it was great eh?? It snowed every day from when we arrived until the 4th - it was about 30cm deep in the old park Sylvester was cool in the snow too!

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acidicgirl)

Basically, the person in question is at Bewerbung university [...]
    What does that even mean? :confused:

As for credits and units, Universities in Germany teach a lot of basic stuff (e.g. my friend does Biology and has to take basic Chem/Maths/Physics etc) before they get to the actual course related stuff so she might have problems as Unis in the UK tend to jump straight into the course related stuff and teach the basics when necessary. Depending on if the Uni she'll want to transfer to knows this or not/looks at her modules, she might have problems getting into second year. Otherwise she'll have to be willing to do a lot of work to catch up the course related stuff.

Obviously this depends on Uni and course so it's best to call them up but personally I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

As for people saying about loans - if you get a tuition fee loan you'll probably get less BAfög? BAfög is a joke though. :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    You really like Germany? I thought you didn't like it and never want to go back? Or was that just specifically Lehrte? I'm not sure if it's worth it, but you could try speaking to them again to see if you could get more *shrug*

I was over there from 29th-6th so we saw all of it, it was great eh?? It snowed every day from when we arrived until the 4th - it was about 30cm deep in the old park Sylvester was cool in the snow too!

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP! :o:
    Oh no I like it, I am more German than I like to show I love being organized etc, but the bafoeg thing is just going too far. Just don't want to move back to a little town like that, I am more of a city girl and Lehrte has this ueber-small town feeling to it somehow. Not a big fan and will certainly not return. As for Germany I don't know. I like loads of parts of it but there is an equal amount of things I dislike. Probably the same everywhere though. So I will see how uni works out but I would have no problem whatsoever to stay here!
    Good you got to enjoy the snow though, so did I. It was fun, especially since we had more snow than my friend who came up from down south.

Smanth- yeah I think I would get more bafoeg of I payed fees (don't have to here in Scotland). It would just be nice if they would update the system a bit, I think it's utterly ridiculous they don't take into consideration that my mum e.g. pays for her house. A house she built when I was in primary school, so she had no idea one day her daughter might strive to go to uni. To now say she has to pay me a certain amount of money is just weird, she doesn't have it. Only chance she would be having the money she "needs" to pay me by law would be to sell that house and therefore her safety when she retires.

For the op (just to show that we are not hijacking completely here): I think her best chance would be to call every uni she is interested in. I know officially we are doing a credit transfer across europe today but lets face it, that doesn't even work out in Germany itself most of the time.
    The partner unis of her own will probably be her best et, even if they are not the best ones according to league tables. There must be some form of agreement between them after all and courses must cover equal/close topics.
    Would she have to move to a certain area though, due to her family? That could make it a bit more complicated.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies. Her parents are in London but she's willing to live out during term time. The uni she went to is actually Hochschule Mannheim University of applied sciences. Does anyone know how reputable this uni is?

Also, she's filled in the education section on UCAS and for GCSE's she did Germany-Realschulabschluss and has 2.7 overall. For A-level she did Germany-Zuegnis der Fachhochschulreife and has 2,8 overall. Are these good grades?

Thanks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks for all the replies. Her parents are in London but she's willing to live out during term time. The uni she went to is actually Hochschule Mannheim University of applied sciences. Does anyone know how reputable this uni is?

Also, she's filled in the education section on UCAS and for GCSE's she did Germany-Realschulabschluss and has 2.7 overall. For A-level she did Germany-Zuegnis der Fachhochschulreife and has 2,8 overall. Are these good grades?

Thanks.
    Not particularly... It's sort of in the region of CCC - not bad, but more towards the lower end of average (yes, I realise that came out sounding horrible, sorry:o:).

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    I don't think that any uni in the UK will accept this - it's not like a "proper" university (please no offence anyone) but as you said for applied science. You can't even transfer IN Germany between this type of school and normal universities (or at least it's very difficult). Also her grades are really not good (sorry for that), it's around CCC or even a D somewhere in there.

How are her grades at uni?

ReputationRep:
    She would probably still have a chance with these grades, I only got 2.5 and I think Glasgow is quite acceptable for my subjects. Not a top uni but you know...good for me.

A transfer would probably be more than tricky since it's not a university. So she might have to start from scratch. I do think though that if she applied to uni in the UK her chances might be quite good because of her experience. I am sure her studies in Germany would look quite nice in her personal statement and the unis would know she's committed etc.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps she could go to a partner university for a year and finish her Bachelor (or Diplom?) degree in Germany. Usually a course at a "University of applied sciences" isn't longer than 7 Semesters (3.5 years) and you have the whole vacation without exams. She could also do her Praxissemester in the UK. Perhaps this will be easier and more comfortable, exspecially in the long run.

PS.: A Fachhochschule (today often called Hochschule) isn't the same as a university, also some of them are very good indeed. In consequence your thread topic is a little bit misleading and users, who may know more about this special case won't look at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)

PS.: A Fachhochschule (today often called Hochschule) isn't the same as a university, also some of them are very good indeed. In consequence your thread topic is a little bit misleading and users, who may know more about this special case won't look at it.
    Hmmm, well if she has the equivalent of CCC at A-level then her options are rather limited. If it's not a uni, what's the british equivalent, if there is one!?

ReputationRep:
    Just to point out, a Fachhochschule is the (legal) equivilant to a University and in Germany considered more or less the same - depending on subject.
    I think some people may be confusing them with Berufsakademien (BA) which are not the same.

ReputationRep:
    It surely depends on the subject though, doesn't it? I know that for some subjects Fachhochschulen are really great but then for the lets say "traditional" subjects universities are considered better. Might be a bit elitist but my school always told us to strive to go to uni as, after all, it's the highest education you can get.

Acidicgirl, I don't think there is a british equivalent to be honest. You can go to a Fachhochschule with a year less of education (i.e. for me I could have gone after 12 instead of 13 years). To go to one of them you need a high school degree somewhere between GCSEs and A Levels I guess.
    Saying that though, again, I know for some subjects they can be really good and graduates are really liked since often the courses are a bit more practical, e.g. more internships etc. And that of course can be really great.

ReputationRep:
    @smanth:
    That's wrong. There aren't legal equivalents. (Fach)hochschulen don't have the right to call themselves "Universität", only University as the english word isn't legally protected. At a "Universität" you can also do a PhD. The courses at Universitäten are in general more difficult. Nevertheless some courses at some Fachhochschulen, are so good that they are quite competitive in comparison to their equivalents at Universities. Berufsakademien are again a different thing. The Term Hochschule just decribes an institution for higher education.

In most countries Fachhochschulen don't exist, or are called Universities. The aim of a Fachhochschule/University of applied science isn't to create researchers, but to provide people with a good education focused more on praxis than theory.

ReputationRep:
    'fachhochschule' is similar to the post 1992 universities in uk. they are often called 'university of applied science' now but are not the same as 'normal' universities. they are politechnics but had the name changed so that every higher education institution in germany can now be called university. there are usually specific courses taught there like social work etc which you usually cannot study at 'normal' universities. they are more applied courses rather than academic.

if she wants to transfer to uk it whould probably be a good idea to contact these 'new universities' (post 1992) rather than trying to get into well respected, traditional universities. i would be surprised if she would stand a chance of getting into one of them. i know this sounds horrible (i really dont mean it) but assuming her grades didnt improve at uni... i know that many british universities love taking german students but they do expect them to have the same good grades as the british. and as mannheim is not really the most respected fachhochschule in germany it will be tough i guess.

what i am confused about... if she doesnt mind living away from her parents/family during term time... why doesnt she stay in germany to finish her degree? she could always go and visit them during the holidays. this would make things much easier than ending up at a **** university somewhere in the middle of nowhere just for the sake of living in britain...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.