Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opinions on this vintage shirt watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.myvintage.co.uk/Mens-Vint...all_AOP4E.aspx

What do you reckon? It's a 1960s vintage men's Givenchy shirt. £48.

ReputationRep:
    rubbish and generic. Probably feels nice though.

ReputationRep:
    Hideous

ReputationRep:
    Horrible, sorry. It's something my grandad would wear. It's also very 80s computer nerd - it wouldn't go with anything.

In fact I've yet to see something designer made before 2000 that actually looks good - before that all the gucci looked hideous, with horrible plasticky material, all the Louis Vuitton looked like a cheap fake with the canvas all wonky, all clothes from everyone had hideous patterns on...

ReputationRep:
    Go for it if you like it.

(I like it )

ReputationRep:
    It's not that bad, just wear it properly and it'll look great. I like this old vintage style

ReputationRep:
    The pattern reminds me a tiny bit of a table-cloth
    but i kind of like it

It's Ok but the price :lolwut: I depends what you'll be wearing it with as well.

ReputationRep:
    100% Nylon is not a good thing

ReputationRep:
    Even if I didn't hate the pattern, I would never pay £50 for 100% nylon even if it is Givenchy. Nylon was what my old school shirts were made out of and it feels horrible (certainly not luxurious and silky)- not to mention if you sweat, the shirt doesn't absorb any of it because it is plastic and so it gets really uncomfortable (wasn't a problem when I was like 11, but it would be now).

If you like it then by all means get it. But I'm certain you could get something nicer looking and much better quality for that price at House of Fraser or somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    Horrible, sorry. It's something my grandad would wear. It's also very 80s computer nerd - it wouldn't go with anything.

In fact I've yet to see something designer made before 2000 that actually looks good - before that all the gucci looked hideous, with horrible plasticky material, all the Louis Vuitton looked like a cheap fake with the canvas all wonky, all clothes from everyone had hideous patterns on...
    Pretty sure Louis Vuitton still looks cheap and horrible now.

ReputationRep:
    I...kinda...like it :ninja: BUT not worth £50 and nylon feels icky.

ReputationRep:
    It's okaay...but i think most people would struggle to make it look good and not farmer-ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Pretty sure Louis Vuitton still looks cheap and horrible now.
    No, not really. It's a lot better than it was. Before it just looked really cheaply made and poorly designed. Now they look well made, and some things are very nicely designed (although they still come out with some of the ugliest, most hideous monstrosities - like the recent bag stitched like a football.) Whether you think the canvas on them looks cheap or not is something different.

If you've ever owned real LV, it is actually lovely and (most of it) doesn't look cheap at all IMO (the regular monogram canvas though is sometimes overkill).

ReputationRep:
    No, not really. It's a lot better than it was. Before it just looked really cheaply made and poorly designed. Now they look well made, and some things are very nicely designed (although they still come out with some of the ugliest, most hideous monstrosities - like the recent bag stitched like a football.)

If you've ever owned real LV, it is actually lovely and (most of it) doesn't look cheap at all IMO (the regular monogram canvas though is sometimes overkill).
    I don't need to own an LV to see what they're like. It's because I think they look awful that I choose not to do so. There are many other better quality designers out there, with nicer designs.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't really thought about the material and yeah 100% nylon would probably get annoying. I think the price is to be expected for a designer shirt though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    I don't need to own an LV to see what they're like. It's because I think they look awful that I choose not to do so. There are many other better quality designers out there, with nicer designs.
    Geez, why so much rage! I don't agree with you that there are designers out there with universally nicer designs. Every designer has some gorgeous pieces and some damp squibs. As far as quality goes, they are still near the top (behind Chanel and Hermes), very few designers haven't resorted to getting their stuff made in Asia. I suppose it's all a matter of taste.

ReputationRep:
    its sorta barf...

ReputationRep:
    Geez, why so much rage! I don't agree with you that there are designers out there with universally nicer designs. Every designer has some gorgeous pieces and some damp squibs. As far as quality goes, they are still near the top (behind Chanel and Hermes), very few designers haven't resorted to getting their stuff made in Asia. I suppose it's all a matter of taste.
    Chanel is one of the ones I was referring to (although the only one of their designs I think is hideous is that godawful new cocoon bag)

ReputationRep:
    I like it, but it's not much different to a non-vintage one. If you went around being all "dis is vintage" people would laugh.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.