Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    and i dont want to go on one myself so ill be like a year behind them with people younger then me in uni...

but i realllyy wanna take one!!! any advice?!
    whats a gapyear on your own like?

ps im intending on travelling and volunteering stuff around the world

ReputationRep:
    Do it. It'll be more fun without your friends anyway, as you'll meet plenty of new people. And don't worry about being a year older at uni, there will be tons of people who have taken gap years etc.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, you will not regret taking one. Being a year behind and your friends being a year ahead of you is absolutely nothing. You are still stuck in the mentality of school, but once you are at uni a few years either way makes no difference whatsoever.

Seriously do it! You would only regret the decision not to take one later.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think i would regret it... plus im not going to the same uni as my friends so it wouldnt make much diff

i just think ill spend all my savings on the gapyear then like have no money for uni :/

ReputationRep:
    Do it. Plan out an awesome year of travelling and epic activities. You'll meet tons of new people, especially if you do it through some sort of gap year company, you'll most likely end up in all sorts of exciting places with like-minded people.
    And with respect to going to uni a year older - it seriously doesn't matter one tiny little bit. There's always a total mix of ages at uni and it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to friendships. My uni friends range from the age of 18 to 27 (I'm 21)! We're all mental, and we all get along really really well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrishPerson)
    yeah i think i would regret it... plus im not going to the same uni as my friends so it wouldnt make much diff

i just think ill spend all my savings on the gapyear then like have no money for uni :/
    Thats what loans are for!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xkatx_sb)
    Do it. Plan out an awesome year of travelling and epic activities. You'll meet tons of new people, especially if you do it through some sort of gap year company, you'll most likely end up in all sorts of exciting places with like-minded people.
    And with respect to going to uni a year older - it seriously doesn't matter one tiny little bit. There's always a total mix of ages at uni and it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to friendships. My uni friends range from the age of 18 to 27 (I'm 21)! We're all mental, and we all get along really really well!
    I wouldn't personally recommend a gap year company - better to plan this stuff yourself!

ReputationRep:
    It's really not a big deal. Once you're at university, you'll find people of all ages in your classes, it's not like college/high school where everyone is pretty much the same age. You'll meet lots of people both on your exchange as well as at university. Honestly, when I got back from my year off, the hardest thing wasn't that I was a year "behind", it was actually that none of my friends had met any new people. They pretty much all still hung out with the same people in the same places, whereas I'd done a lot of travelling and felt a bit bored once I got home!

ReputationRep:
    Are you one of those people who can't go to the bathroom without their friends? Why the hell does it matter if your friends aren't taking gap years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Why the hell does it matter if your friends aren't taking gap years?
    I agree - generally the whole point of taking a Gap Year is to gain some independence and learn about yourself and other cultures etc. If you went with your friends you wouldn't really be able to do any of this! Or at least it would be more difficult.

Not sure if I agree with atheistwithfaith, as if you're a little apprehensive about travelling alone you'd definitely feel safer with a company. I'm going to India with Project Trust in the summer so maybe I'm a bit biased but from speaking to past volunteers Project seem to really support you when you need it but give you the right amount of independence too.

Sorry for sounding a bit like an advert! :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    I travelled on my own during my gap year - best thing I could have done. It really doesn't matter being one year 'behind'......you're really really unlikely to notice any difference at all! Honestly, there's people in my seminars who are 23, 24, 25 whatever, and I wouldn't have known if it had come in conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Why not become a hobo for a year? That'd be schweeeeet! You could also develop some kind of drug/alcohol dependancy and a mental illness during your gap year. And acquire a limp, or a hook for a hand. Then you can tell random people about how bad the Vietnam war was and they'll give you money to shut up. Stop bathing aswell.

ReputationRep:
    My uni friends range from 19-47!! You'll most definately not be the oldest in your class if you take a year out!

ReputationRep:
    Do it! Travelling's the best thing I ever did last year.. and now I'm taking a second gap year, haha.

Sure, you miss your friends, but you make so many more new ones all over the world.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of it depends on how you want to travel.
    Do you want to do a round the world and see the major sights?
    You'll have no problem being alone. There will only be time to hit the major places and there's always going to be travellers around.

Travel to one continent and explore more?
    There will have highs and lows since you won't have time to really learn the local languages, but you won't spend all your time in the tourist hotspots either.

Or visit a few places and really get to know the local area?
    You may not see as much, but learning the language and meeting locals would definitely be much more of a unique experience, and once you learn the language you're free to go wherever you please without having to worry about the language barrier. It would probably look a lot better on your CV too, if that matters.

As for volunteering it's best to organise that when you arrive, finding out places by word of mouth. ALL gap year kids want to do some volunteer work so they can have that glamorous feel-good feeling and put something on their CV. And as such, there are a lot of companies which sell volunteer opportunities for stupidly high rates; the more glamorous it is the more expensive, especially when it comes to working with animals (I saw one "Help save the amazonian river dolphin" volunteer project for over £2k for 2 weeks! but even the building things in shanty town projects are ~£600 for a few weeks). The cheap "just pay for boarding" volunteer projects that people would expect to see are generally the locally advertised ones. Always best to do your research though, there are plenty of local people realising they can get a healthy wage out of travellers by giving them menial odd jobs to keep them occupied.

ReputationRep:
    On the money side you could get a job in between trips which is what I plan to do. (e.g. work for two months, go to europe for one etc.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.