Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanna get a tattoo that says 'Sex without love is violence' but in the language of Latin.

Can anyone help me?

ReputationRep:
    sexus sine amore violentia est
    SEXVS SINE AMORE VIOLENTIA EST

You could even leave out the "est" and it would look more "Latin", as that verb is often left out to be inferred:

sexus sine amore violentia
    SEXVS SINE AMORE VIOLENTIA

ReputationRep:
    LOL, I did Latin GCSE, but I hate to break it to you, that that wasn't the sort of phrases we were taught!

"sine amore" means without love, but I don't even know if the word endings are right, because in Latin there are like a zillion different endings depending on the context.

Search online for a translate website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jah2411)
    LOL, I did Latin GCSE, but I hate to break it to you, that that wasn't the sort of phrases we were taught!

"sine amore" means without love, but I don't even know if the word endings are right, because in Latin there are like a zillion different endings depending on the context.

Search online for a translate website
    I just beat you to it! The ablative with sine is right though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    sexus sine amore violentia est
    SEXVS SINE AMORE VIOLENTIA EST

You could even leave out the "est" and it would look more "Latin", as that verb is often left out to be inferred:

sexus sine amore violentia
    SEXVS SINE AMORE VIOLENTIA
    thank you so much - you're a star!

ReputationRep:
    Surely violentiam? Although I suppose if you're equating two things maybe they should both be nominative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Surely violentiam? Although I suppose if you're equating two things maybe they should both be nominative
    Yeah, it's nominative with sum, to be, because, as you say, you're equating two things. Technically, violentia is a complement to sexus, not an object.

For the OP, that means that my translation stands -- unless I'm much more ignorant than I suspected! Of course, you're free to get other opinions though, having it permanently tattooed on your skin and all.

ReputationRep:
    This has tempted me to post the classic Romanes eunt domus, not to mention the even more classic Caesar sic in at.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to learn latin.

ReputationRep:
    I just beat you to it! The ablative with sine is right though.
    Haha! You did!! I wasn't expecting someone else to have got there before me.

Cool, at least I got something right, I don't claim to be a Latin genius, my grammar was poor, but I managed to nail the vocab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Trust me.

You wouldn't

ReputationRep:
    Trust me.

You wouldn't
    Would!

ReputationRep:
    It's not that exciting, I assure you. Imagine reading Cherie Blair's autobiography. Now imagine reading it everyday for the rest of your life. The experience is somewhat similar. :yep:

Of course, it's worthwhile in the end -- unlike Cherie Blair's autobiography, unless you're particularly interested in the conception of Leo.

ReputationRep:
    I learned Latin from a set of books called The Approach to Latin by Paterson & Macnaughton which was brilliant because everyone immediately defaced the front cover very simply to read The Approach to Eating.

ReputationRep:
    lol really?
    i think there was a whole module on odd sex slogans on OCR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I learned Latin from a set of books called The Approach to Latin by Paterson & Macnaughton which was brilliant because everyone immediately defaced the front cover very simply to read The Approach to Eating.
    Haha, so did you actually learn latin from books? Must have taken a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Can you give your opinion on the violentia/-am issue for the OP then, before she inks herself for perpetuity? I'm all but absolutely sure that I'm right, which is a rare occassion indeed, but a second opinion never hurts.

EDIT: If anyone has any more Latin questions, it may be a good idea to post in the Classics Society in the classics forum (there's a link in the spoiler of my signature) as there are usually oodles of classicists on hand there.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that exciting, I assure you. Imagine reading Cherie Blair's autobiography. Now imagine reading it everyday for the rest of your life. The experience is somewhat similar. :yep:

Of course, it's worthwhile in the end -- unlike Cherie Blair's autobiography, unless you're particularly interested in the conception of Leo.
    Yes but what do you get from reading the autobiography...a graphic account of the conception of a child....and that's about it. But if you learn Latin then you speak the language of the Romans :medieval:

ReputationRep:
    Can you give your opinion on the violentia/-am issue for the OP then, before she inks herself for perpetuity? I'm all but absolutely sure that I'm right, which is a rare occassion indeed, but a second opinion never hurts.

EDIT: If anyone has any more Latin questions, it may be a good idea to post in the Classics Society in the classics forum (there's a link in the spoiler of my signature) as there are usually oodles of classicists on hand there.
    I don't remember a violentiam form, but I'm not the world's best declension expert I'm afraid.

Another attempt with a slightly different vocabulary might be sex vacuus diligo vis est

My best advice for a tattoo is don't. Plurimus mappa es desiderium laxus

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember a violentiam form, but I'm not the world's best declension expert I'm afraid.

Another attempt with a slightly different vocabulary might be sex vacuus diligo vis est
    Fair enough. Violentiam would be used as the accusative (first declension): so violentiam amo, for example. In this case, it's used as a complement, not an object, though.

Vacuus complicates things as it takes an ablative, not a nominative or accuative, (though it sometimes takes a gentive). Diligo is a verb (first-person singular indicative, first conjugation) so can't be used as a noun, I'm afraid -- unless as a gerund, which complicates things unnecessarily. Romani, ite domum! :p:

EDIT: Oh, and sex is the Latin word meaning six not sex -- has to be sexus, or a synonym. Vis is perfectly good though! But it may not be the best choice of vocab as it connotes "force, power, might" more than the act of violence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.