Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone who has a good grasps of Latin... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Romani, ite domum! :p:
    Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Plurimus mappa es desiderium laxus
    Just to let you know, there are a few grammatical issues there too, but I won't elucidate them (largely because I'm lazy). I think you need to spend some time shacked up with Kennedy and his Latin primer! Before the centurions get to you. :eek:

Your point's a valid one though!

ReputationRep:
    Just to let you know, there are a few grammatical issues there too, but I won't elucidate them (largely because I'm lazy). I think you need to spend some time shacked up with Kennedy and his Latin primer! Before the centurions get to you. :eek:
    Hehe My Latin is decidedly rusty, to say the least. It's been a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe My Latin is decidedly rusty, to say the least. It's been a long time.
    Yep, it's almost amazing how the Romans actually managed to communicate with such a cumbersome language. (Of course, most people would have spoken the less complex so-called Vulgar Latin though.)

By the way, out of curiosity, what did you use mappa to mean? My dictionary only gives it as handkerchief/napkin/white cloth/tablecloth, which I'm sure isn't what you meant. It may be that the Latin dictionary on my computer just isn't comprehensive enough though. Presumably, you meant it as an adjective?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Haha, so did you actually learn latin from books? Must have taken a long time.
    Well how else are you going to learn it? It's not a spoken language...
    I learnt the basics in a year, because my year 8s couldn't get their head around "I don't know everything in the world. I have never studied Latin. I can't help you." So I did the year 7 course and their course and some of the year 9 course in my spare time just to make my life easier :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's almost amazing how the Romans actually managed to communicate with such a cumbersome language. (Of course, most people would have spoken the less complex so-called Vulgar Latin though.)

By the way, out of curiosity, what did you use mappa to mean? My dictionary only gives it as handkerchief/napkin/white cloth/tablecloth, which I'm sure isn't what you meant. It may be that the Latin dictionary on my computer just isn't comprehensive enough though. Presumably, you meant it as an adjective?
    I was using it for map, but I suspect now that it is Italian rather than Latin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Well how else are you going to learn it? It's not a spoken language...
    Quite. It is, though, still spoken by the Papacy which also publishes documents in the language.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Quite. It is, though, still spoken by the Papacy which also publishes documents in the language.
    But you're not very likely to get a chance to spend much time around them, are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    But you're not very likely to get a chance to spend much time around them, are you?
    Maybe the woman who rushed the Pope before Christmas was only trying to get a Latin lesson.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 17, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.