Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Competition/Rivalry. It dates decades back.
    Also probably because UCL and LSE are considered super-elite, where as Kings is only considered elite...so there's bound to be some snobs making fun. They can't do it to Imperial though, because it'd whoop their candy asses :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    Competition/Rivalry. It dates decades back.
    Also probably because UCL and LSE are considered super-elite, where as Kings is only considered elite...so there's bound to be some snobs making fun. They can't do it to Imperial though, because it'd whoop their candy asses :cool:
    why didn't you apply to imperial O_o

ReputationRep:
    yea, its probably natural, fun banter/rivalry. It goes on everywhere, there is often a lot of friendly rivalry between different halls at unis (I know there is at bham - up the shack!). as long it doesnt get illegal (violence/criminal damage etc.) i cant see much of a problem

ReputationRep:
    I think KCL is like the guy in a group of friends that everyone picks on for the lols.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose a rivalry is only natural when they are so close, Kings is literally 200m away from LSE afterall. From what I hear, the rivalry is two way though.

ReputationRep:
    Just a rivalry. Not even that significant outside sport any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    why didn't you apply to imperial O_o
    Although I exceed the grades, I'd only want to go to Imperial to study physics if I was actually dedicated to it and was willing to put in the hard work at the level that imperial is at. I don't actually like physics though, it's just my strongest subject and it's a versatile course so I picked it...so I've chosen UCL and KCL :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Because it's not quite as good as them, but good enough for it to be taken in jest. Like someone would belittle his close friend, but not someone dieing in a wheelchair (Thames Valley).

ReputationRep:
    coz they strand poly scum!

or so ive been told.

ReputationRep:
    I'd apply to Imperial, UCL, LSE, and KCL. I really don't give a damn about their rivalry. I just want my education!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wootwootwoot)
    I suppose a rivalry is only natural when they are so close, Kings is literally 200m away from LSE afterall. From what I hear, the rivalry is two way though.
    no.

the rivalry is for sports with kcl.

academic lse and ucl are rivals.

ReputationRep:
    King's is the fourth oldest/fourth to receive royal charter in the country, whats all this about strand poly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    Although I exceed the grades, I'd only want to go to Imperial to study physics if I was actually dedicated to it and was willing to put in the hard work at the level that imperial is at. I don't actually like physics though, it's just my strongest subject and it's a versatile course so I picked it...so I've chosen UCL and KCL :laugh:
    i thought all unis with the same course had the same standards? like oxfords chemistry would be the same as thames valley... wouldnt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    i thought all unis with the same course had the same standards? like oxfords chemistry would be the same as thames valley... wouldnt it?
    hahaha, that was a good one! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    King's jacked that Jeremy dude's head from UCL... that might be an old reason lmao

Tbh the only reason UoL even exists is so they'd stop fighting :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    :toofunny:

The rivalry has been going on for ages - wikipedia it - i think it's on ther - King's stole Jeremy Betham's head so, in return, UCL stole King's lion mascot. It mainly exists for social and sport 'healthy rivalries'.

And UCL, Imperial and LSE are all in academic rivalry with one another, if you compare different departments - it's ALL about going to a world-class uni in London, baby!

ReputationRep:
    Reggie the Lion is a much better mascot than UCL's tatty rag doll. I've seen Reggie proudly displayed on the staircase at the Strand's Entrance Hall.

The rivalry is mainly saved for the sports field now; there's no longer kidnappings, riots, police intervention and arson. Not until I get there anyway...

I love that there's a history between UCL and KCL. Wikipedia have pretty much got it all covered in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_College_London_and_UCL_ri valry#The_RAGs

I reckon UCL students might be slightly jealous of King's recently though. We've acquired the Maughan Library (the old Public Records Office) and have recently got the rights to move into one of the Wings of Somerset House.

UCL have the quad. Neat one. What a way to reignite the old rivalry - a bit of banter about who has the best architecture!

ReputationRep:
    OP i don't think this is true, most people aren't aware of this so called rivalry

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.