Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth getting a mini-pupillage? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I'm a current second year law student from a University just outside of the top 20. I'm hoping to be a solicitor in the future (preferably regional) but I'm understandably not having much luck with my VS schemes. I have (to put it bluntly) very average Alevels (with mitigating circumstances as I fell ill during my A2 year and was finally diagnosed with a disease a year later after having to retake exams due to the symptoms I suffered affecting my revision. I subsequently got a 2.2 in my first year at uni, again my grades were very average as I got mutant tonsillitus and basically ended up in and out of hospital on a drip for three months so missed loads of uni - I have medical evidence for both this and the (unrelated) disease. Prior to missing so much time off I was getting high 2.1s in all my courseworks (averaging 68%) and I'm predicted a high 2.1. My GCSEs are decent but nothing special - half A*s/As and half Bs.

Grades aside, I'm fluent french and have decent (non legal) work experience. I have positions of authority as secretary of my uni's law society and by working for my university as an ambassador, which requires me to give speeches to large audiences amongst other things. I've done pro bono work for the last two years and I'm an active member of a few societies and a sports team.

I am by no means aiming for MC/SC/international firms. I have a contact who works in a big American city firm who is trying to get me 2 weeks of summer placement there, although they don't do official vacation schemes. My brother also has good contacts in Gray's Inns (I think) and can get me a mini-pupillage. Is it worth doing a mini-pupillage despite knowing that I definitely want to be a solicitor in the future? I'm trying to get as much legal work experience as possible to help distract from my mediocre grades. Is any legal experience preferable to none?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think any work experience is an advantage.

Our careers advisor told us that even if you know you want to be a solicitor it is worth doing a mini pupillage so you can tell the interviewer why you want to be a solicitor. Both professions work closely together so it is useful to have some knowledge of the other.

I hope to become a barrister yet I worked at a solicitors for nine months.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.