Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uni 1st year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically I'm in my first year, and semester A has just finished.. I have had the most horrible few months, mostly because of me moving out from home and living in a student house with absolute maniacs.. Anyways the point being, I have screwed up Semester A, in which I had 4 modules from which only 1 I would have passed, and the others, I failed to complete courseworks...

I want to completely change everything in Semester B, but how can I pass the first year now? I'm willing to work as hard as I have to in order to pass my first year. Can I resit the courseworks from the 3 modules or what?

How will I pass?

It depends on your uni and I think you need to talk to them...

I'm in a similar situation - although for different reasons - and so far, this term has been a lot better - having said that, it's still the first week!

It's always possible to change though - catch up with the readings, email your lecturers from last term and see what you can do (if there's the potential to resit or whatever) and make a plan for meeting deadlines that are coming up...

If your living conditions affected you that much, perhaps think about applying for extenuating circumstances? Again, it depends on your uni's policy, but if you can prove that your work was affected through no fault of your own, you should qualify.

And good luck

ReputationRep:
    Why weren't you able to complete the course work?

ReputationRep:
    but through extenuating circumstances, all your marks are capped at 40% right?

Not to my knowledge? In fact I ******* hope not! I think they take your actual grade and add on up to 5% (ish), depending on what they deem is acceptable.

If you score over 40%, and you've got extenuating circumstances, they can't take marks off! That doesn't make any sense?

ReputationRep:
    well what i'm trying to say is.. say you haven't handed in the coursework cos u had ur extenuating circumstances, and they accept it and let u resit. say if u got a B grade coursework at 60%, they'll still cap it at 40% enough for you to pass the module.. thats whsat i heard?

ReputationRep:
    It is your 1st year so unless you're doing a course such as medicine etc. the marks don't usually go towards your degree. First year is just a year to learn what to do, and how to do well in the next years when it actually counts.

Speak to your tutors about what you can do and apply for extenuating circumstances. Most of the time they'll be really understanding, although it always helps to tell them ahead of time, rather than afterwards. As it was your 1st term they will be probably be prepared to be lenient. Even if your marks are capped at 40 for some modules (although if you get extenuating circumstances and can resit coursework this shouldn't be the case) you will be able to bring up the overall mark of the year by doing well in your next term. E.g. get 65 average in semester 2 and it should bring your mark up to about 53 which is a 2.2 and fairly respectable for a 1st year mark, when a lot of people scrape bare passes anyway without your situation.

Try not to worry about it. Just contact your tutors and make sure you work much harder this semester and meet all the necessary deadlines.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.