Turn on thread page Beta

This is disgustingly horrific watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauram992)
    The whole concept behind it is disgusting. What kind of person would even come up with that? It's horrendous.
    If you feel that way then I suggest you not look at the version with real shocks and puppies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    If you feel that way then I suggest you not look at the version with real shocks and puppies.
    I'm fine thanks, I think the whole thing is sadistic. The people who go about setting those things up are in my opinion as sick as the people they find to carry it out.

ReputationRep:
    The people who go about setting those things up
    They're called Psychologists. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I :love: Milgrams Obedience experiments

ETA - If you can find it, Derren Brown did a version too. Psychologists aren't allowed to do these experiments anymore (remember, the original was in the early 1960s!) because of the ethics of it. Shame I say...

ReputationRep:
    I'm fine thanks, I think the whole thing is sadistic. The people who go about setting those things up are in my opinion as sick as the people they find to carry it out.
    What? It's an experiment into understanding the human mind. So long as no-one is harmed, it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Psychology babeh

ReputationRep:
    Such a scary experiment.

I remember the Derren Brown one with a kitten :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Such a scary experiment.

I remember the Derren Brown one with a kitten :sad:
    Mmm, slightly different premise on that one I think. Though I might be thinking of the wrong one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Mmm, slightly different premise on that one I think. Though I might be thinking of the wrong one?
    Yeah a bit different, I think it was more about childish instincts to do the opposite of what you're told?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Yeah a bit different, I think it was more about childish instincts to do the opposite of what you're told?
    Yeah, I think so. The one with the kitten in the box? Some people are so weak willed

ReputationRep:
    typical meus thread: shocking title - nothing particularly shocking about linked content.

this doesn't justify the actions of the nazis. here, the subjects are being tricked, because under normal circumstances you can trust a scientist in that position to at least know they won't actually let you kill someone.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think so. The one with the kitten in the box? Some people are so weak willed
    Aw yeah, and it was so adorable too! I think I might go watch it on youtube actually :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porch monkey 4 life)
    typical meus thread: shocking title - nothing particularly shocking about linked content.

this doesn't justify the actions of the nazis. here, the subjects are being tricked, because under normal circumstances you can trust a scientist in that position to at least know they won't actually let you kill someone.
    Not really. The point of the experiment is to prove that your preconceptions make you believe that a scientist/person of authority won't let you hurt another person and that under extreme pressure or when you feel you *have* to do well or what the person says, a lot of people will do extraordinary things.

ReputationRep:
    This one is just as bad imo:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuada)
    This one is just as bad imo:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

Zimbardo is also a bit of a legend. They had to stop the experiment when he got a bit too involved

ReputationRep:
    Why did they feel the need to repeat it? The original was done enough times to show exactly what the results would be. There was one done a while back which used real shocks on live puppies. A chartered psychologist wouldn't be allowed to repeat it anyway because of the ethical issues involved. I don't see why they should allow documentaries and Derren Brown to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    A chartered psychologist wouldn't be allowed to repeat it anyway because of the ethical issues involved. I don't see why they should allow documentaries and Derren Brown to.
    Because as a media production, it is not bound to APA/BPS ethical guidelines while providing a potentially profitable piece of entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. The point of the experiment is to prove that your preconceptions make you believe that a scientist/person of authority won't let you hurt another person and that under extreme pressure or when you feel you *have* to do well or what the person says, a lot of people will do extraordinary things.
    if a doctor is pumping blood out of you or something, and you don't know that the amount of blood he's removing could kill you even though it looks like it's a lot, you're still going to trust your doctor. these people obviously didn't have a clue about the damage electricity can do, since they believed the guy when he said there will be no permanent damage, so they carried on. that's the reason why they might end up doing extraordinary things, they assume the professional knows better than them.

i don't even think i'm disagreeing with you... but this hasn't got anything to do with nazis. if nick griffin became a dictator and commanded soldiers to kill all foreigners i'm pretty sure they'd know what they were doing.

ReputationRep:
    a big reason for the actions of the germany army etc is because they didnt know the big picture of what was happening. hitler kept many organizations playing off against each other and most only got a small snap shot of the big picture.

ReputationRep:
    anyone watch QI recently?

Godwins Law - online discussions will inevitably at some point draw similarities beween whats being discussed and hitler or the nazi party. when this occurs the argument is rendered useless.

in other words :facepalm:

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.