Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

This is disgustingly horrific watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellybee)
    anyone watch QI recently?

Godwins Law - online discussions will inevitably at some point draw similarities beween whats being discussed and hitler or the nazi party. when this occurs the argument is rendered useless.

in other words :facepalm:
    The fact that the experiment was set up to investigate claims by the Nazi's that they were only following orders- to see if people would go against their own morals on the orders of a perceived authority figure - means that a comparison to the Nazi's is very relevant here.

The experiments began in July 1961, three months after the start of the trial of German Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann in Jerusalem, Israel. Milgram devised his psychological study to answer the question: "Was it that Eichmann and his accomplices in the Holocaust had mutual intent, in at least with regard to the goals of the Holocaust?" In other words, "Was there a mutual sense of morality among those involved?" Milgram's testing suggested that it could have been that the millions of accomplices were merely following orders, despite violating their deepest moral beliefs.
    so... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I bet what they didn't tell you was that they were being paid to do the experiment. If they were being paid, this needs to be taken into account. If it was a large sum of money, I'd do the experiment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuada)
    The fact that the experiment was set up to investigate claims by the Nazi's that they were only following orders- to see if people would go against their own morals on the orders of a perceived authority figure - means that a comparison to the Nazi's is very relevant here.

so... :facepalm:

i was just asking if anyone had seen QI :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    i was just asking if anyone had seen QI :dontknow:
    haha I did actually :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuada)
    haha I did actually :yes:
    Stephen Fry is GOD.

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Fry is GOD.
    As Scroobius Pip said - "thou shalt not question Stephen Fry" :lol:

^that is actually genuine btw. :cool:try it for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting how the men are more conscious of the pain they're inflicting and less willing to continue than the women :holmes: with the girls it was more of a "err is this okay, he's signed his form right? "yes" "oh okay then *ZZZZZ*" whereas the blokes were like "I'm not comfortable with this, I can't do this."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuada)
    As Scroobius Pip said - "thou shalt not question Stephen Fry" :lol:

^that is actually genuine btw. :cool:try it for yourself.

bless him and his dodgy nose :lol:

ReputationRep:
    That was quite entertaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    Recent BBC documentary recreated the experiment.

Milgram's Obedience to Authority Experiment 2009 1/3
    Milgram's Obedience to Authority Experiment 2009 2/3
    Milgram's Obedience to Authority Experiment 2009 3/3

Over two thirds are known to complete the experiment and 9 out of 12 in the BBC recreation followed suit. It's kinda strange in how we sanitise the Nazi's although most of them give the same excuse that they were "following orders" whilst normal average people can similarly cause extreme pain and suffering to a complete strange solely because they were told to.
    Lol, Germans who took exception to Nazi dictation simply fled to France or Switzerland...

ReputationRep:
    People keep citing that the fact the "learner" gave consent before the experiment started means that the "teacher" is justified to carry on . . .

So does that mean if a woman consents to sex and later asks the man to get off her, he is justified in continuing to have sex with her?

Does that mean that if someone asks a friend to help assist them committing suicide, the friend is justified in killing them even if they ask to live at the last minute?

*shivers*

No, it isn't a direct comparison to Nazi Germany. However, it is a very powerful demonstration that ordinary people will administer incredible pain and even death, often despite being asked to stop by the person they are hurting. In order to justify their decision, they simply say "I was told to". If I was told to give someone pills by an "expert" and the pill bottle was marked in such a way as to tell me that that medication was fatal, I wouldn't think "he's the expert". I would ask why I had to give the meds, what the meds would achieve, whether the meds were fatal or harmful at the dose I was giving and why the bottle was marked. If at that point the "expert" lies and says that the pills are not fatal or they are simply in the wrong bottle or that the patient has a condition for which these pills are his only chance of living and he has given consent to take them, I would consider continuing.

In the experiment, the "teachers" did not explore the issue at all carefully and those that did seem to have stopped the experiment.

Besides, none of this justifies forcing a volunteer to do something they have removed consent for and nothing justifies doing these things to an apparently unconcious person (who is thus incapable of giving or removing consent).

ReputationRep:
    Omg! That's awful :eek3:
    Wow really interesting though :eek:
    I can't believe normal people would just do that! I have no idea what I'd do in the situation but after watching that, I think I'd definitely think before following some outrageous order like that :no: We've been taught from school to follow orders and listen to our superiors and what we really should be taught is how to think and speak for ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Over two thirds are known to complete the experiment and 9 out of 12 in the BBC recreation followed suit. It's kinda strange in how we sanitise the Nazi's although most of them give the same excuse that they were "following orders" whilst normal average people can similarly cause extreme pain and suffering to a complete strange solely because they were told to.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't really say it is "disgustingly horrific", just that it the conclusions from the experiments present a shocking and unexpected truth about human nature.

I actually saw the original programme and understand about 2/3 when pressed continued. I would agree that the conclusions can be attributed to real life examples, such as in The Holocaust and may even possibly explain why religions became so popular - people maybe taking orders from an authority figure, or perceived authoritarian figure in their church for example.

Just take the experiments as revealing the truths of human nature. Just to emphasize as well, the people weren't actually getting hurt, the person was faking the pain, but the person by which was being experimented upon was not aware of this.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.