Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes get envious of the popular type people at Uni, the ones with arrogance and narcissism, that they just seem to attract people towards them, and seem as happy as anything. I just have this thing in my head that they have a great life and are loving things, have loads of mates and so on because they seem so popular. how can i not feel envous of them i guess? how can i rationalise my thoughts and not get bothered by it??

ReputationRep:
    Try harder, get on with them, be yourself but more like them at the same time

ReputationRep:
    You've got to remember they'll have **** days like everyone else. No matter how popular anyone is they'll still have problems.

Everyone has crap going on in their lives - believe me...

I have a friend who ahd been with his gf since year 11 prom and within 2 months of uni she cheated on him twice and they split up. Yet, he's one of the most popular people I know - there's always vast amounts of pics on FB of drunken nights out etc.

Another one moved away to uni and didn't have her loan until yesterday, so was living in her overdraft and generally depressed about money...

Another's half-siblings' dad died 2 weeks after she stared uni...

One is so homesick she cries everyday before lectures...

There's more - these are just some of the things I know about - you need to keep in mind that everyone has crap to deal with, but not everyone makes it public knowledge: the happiest girl I know recently revealled she has had a long term illness for 3 years.

Just because you don't know what is wrong with their lives, doesnt mean that nothing is. You're life won't get any better by being jealous of others though (been there, done that) - uni is a great time for reinventing yourself and so you have the chance to become who you really want to be - there's such a diverse mix of people there, masses of opportunities and very little disapproval, you can truly express yourself and be happy with who YOU are

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.