Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I've never seen something written as true as this about nice guys... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The word Nice has lost all meaning :dong:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds true about the people who actually call themselves nice guys. I think truly nice guys dont describe themselves as such. My BF, for example, is the nicest guy I can think of but probably wouldnt describe himself as that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintage_007)
    I didn't read all of it because it's utter ***** - if you are a 'nice guy', you will find someone and that relationship will stay.

If you are genuinely nice, you are not doing anything wrong - keep being you
    That's not really the point the author was trying to illustrating. She wasn't addressing people who were being "genuinely nice", she was addressing certain pushy, self righteous mindsets which are often adopted in the perspective that they're "nice" when actually they're demeaning and quite infuriating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    LOL at the people who don't understand the OP.

Don't delude yourself. Every girl who's been targeted by a "Nice Guy" in the past is going to recognise that description (and run a mile when she meets the next one). I guess you can't understand it unless you've been there.

That doesn't mean she'd go for a prick at all. (Are there only two types of guys in your world?) It just means she has some self-respect and will therefore fall for guys that respect themselves and her.

A more interesting exposition would maybe be the type of girls "Nice Guys" are attracted to. Although it's not really their fault (or maybe it is) ?
    This exactly. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a nice guy....that's it.

Sorry i didn't read the article, don't know what it's about and don't want to know what it's about.

ReputationRep:
    :erm: yeah usually it's just used to make up for whatever shortcomings they may have

ReputationRep:
    I think this is more or less me...
    Yeeeees :|

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Every 'nice guy' I've dated has clung to me and made me feel trapped.

ReputationRep:
    its true, to an extent. like, not ALL nice guys are like that.

ReputationRep:
    Generalisation.
    Guys are only nice because they are insecure pussies who want to buy love? Maybe they're just not being dicks.
    Sure some guys are like that, but not all are. Anything that starts off by generalising is always going to be wrong.

Then again maybe I have a different definition of nice guy. I'd think that nice guys are romantic but they certainly aren't clingy or jealous - that's not being nice.

ReputationRep:
    There's a guy like this at my school.. he's so negative about his own life but is always trying to help you do every little thing. I can imagine him being in a relationship where he'd completely sacrifice his own interests to make her happy. He's irritating but it's so hard to be mean to a nice guy, so I just put up with it.

There are definitely some guys who fit that stereotype very well. And it's likely that they refer to or think of themselves as "nice guys".

But I wouldn't call them "nice guys" I don't really know if that type as it were, has a name.

Genuine nice guys - well - there's just genuine nice people aren't there?
    This idea that girls only go for *******s (whilst I'm sure is irratingly true for a certain subgroup of girls) seems largely a fabrication. Used sometimes to justify why you don't have a girlfriend, and at other times as an excuse to be said *******.

In reality, everybody's different - and plenty of guys are just "nice". As well as having a million other individual traits.
    I'm going out with a guy who's just nice - as in kind/caring/sweet/funny/etc. He is not a *******, but nor is he clingy, immature or unsuccessful.
    As do I have plenty of male friends - many in perfectly happy normal relationships - who are just "nice".

ReputationRep:
    You know, I've never met anyone who was always 'nice' or always 'bad'. People don't come in little convenient packages.

ReputationRep:
    Erm...No. What you're describing isn't a Nice Guy, it's someone really insecure. The two might overlap but they're not one and the same. After all, look at the Whales etc

There are some women, tbh, who just don't like nice guys. I have one friend with the worst taste in men, she's dated one really decent, sweet guy, and dumped him, no reason. She's dated/fancied a string of *********, dumped her by text,made out with other women types...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There are definitely some guys who fit that stereotype very well. And it's likely that they refer to or think of themselves as "nice guys".

But I wouldn't call them "nice guys" I don't really know if that type as it were, has a name.

Genuine nice guys - well - there's just genuine nice people aren't there?
    This idea that girls only go for *******s (whilst I'm sure is irratingly true for a certain subgroup of girls) seems largely a fabrication. Used sometimes to justify why you don't have a girlfriend, and at other times as an excuse to be said *******.

In reality, everybody's different - and plenty of guys are just "nice". As well as having a million other individual traits.
    I'm going out with a guy who's just nice - as in kind/caring/sweet/funny/etc. He is not a *******, but nor is he clingy, immature or unsuccessful.
    As do I have plenty of male friends - many in perfectly happy normal relationships - who are just "nice".
    but obviously this topic is not about those guys who are just nice, but about "Nice Guys". The unusual capitalization and at one point even the use of (tm), not to mention the obvious description, should indicate that this is NOT about nice guys, but about a type of guys which refers to themselves as "a nice guy" whilst actually being a clingy creep.

(Original post by PoliticoJames)
    Erm...No. What you're describing isn't a Nice Guy, it's someone really insecure. The two might overlap but they're not one and the same. After all, look at the Whales etc

There are some women, tbh, who just don't like nice guys. I have one friend with the worst taste in men, she's dated one really decent, sweet guy, and dumped him, no reason. She's dated/fancied a string of *********, dumped her by text,made out with other women types...
    Again... look at my reply to the above quote. The name "Nice Guy" refers to not a nice guy but a clingy creep who puts his woman on a pedestal and whatnot. Did you even read the quote??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    The word Nice has lost all meaning :dong:
    lol!

Was thinking the same. :yes:

(Original post by phen)
    but obviously this topic is not about those guys who are just nice, but about "Nice Guys". The unusual capitalization and at one point even the use of (tm), not to mention the obvious description, should indicate that this is NOT about nice guys, but about a type of guys which refers to themselves as "a nice guy" whilst actually being a clingy creep.
    Fair enough

I wouldn't say every guy who calls himself a nice guy and is unsuccessful with girls necessarily fits that description though :p:

But - for a number of guys who call themselves nice guys and can't understand why girls are steering clear - I would imagine that description is scarily true.

I think most girls have probably encountered guys like this - and you do friend zone them (if not full on avoid them, which I don't like doing cause it's mean ) simply because you are terrified of becoming their latest obsession.

One such example guy (that I know). He is a little odd, and has issues with personal hygiene. He's certainly not a ******* - and could be considered "nice". Problem being that, in the case of my friend, if you make an effort to be nice to him he is so unused to the female attention that you suddenly become the object of his undying love. Starts writing poems, inviting you out to the prom, telling other people he loves you so much, follows you around and frequently invades your personal space.
    From the girls perspective it hardly makes any sense and is difficult to deal with - he was just an acquaintance she was nice to because she saw he was on his own.
    I can't bring myself to just ignore or be mean to these guys, because I see that as bullying But a lot of girls will ignore or avoid them simply as a defence against them.

There is a kind of very careful path you can tread - to talk to them occasionally and not be unpleasant to them, but make excuses so that conversations are never long, and you are never alone with them. A kind of extreme cautious friend-zoning I guess.

The guy I mentioned above - whilst not attracted to him, I was actually quite fond of his company (in short bursts), perhaps because I was not the object of his attraction. If he were only a little less weird/obsessive and socially dangerous he could be very pleasant, and it would be so much easier for him to find female company.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that was generally accurate. Nice guys are nubs lol. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Fair enough

I wouldn't say every guy who calls himself a nice guy and is unsuccessful with girls necessarily fits that description though :p:
    Yeah that's where the "whilst actually being a clingy creep" comes in hand. :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm a nice guy, and reading this thread has made me realize that i need to change my ways. I should start hitting girls and calling them ****s to make them like me, because after all, thats what they like, don't they?

One day, I'm going to use what i've learned here on my wife

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.