Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've never seen something written as true as this about nice guys... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quads1992)
    I'm a nice guy, and reading this thread has made me realize that i need to change my ways. I should start hitting girls and calling them ****s to make them like me, because after all, thats what they like, don't they?

One day, I'm going to use what i've learned here on my wife
    Evidently, you haven't read this thread.

ReputationRep:
    At least this isn’t one of those threads that generalise women as heartless cows who only go out with potential serial killers, rapists and erm... budgie kickers?

Ugh, I’ve had bad experiences with a self-proclaimed ‘nice-guy,’ he was hideously insecure but rather than put me on a pedestal, he actually did the opposite, he constantly criticised me and put me down all the time in order to stroke his own ego. In public he did anything to appear like the perfect gentleman, opening doors for women, giving up his seat etc. but behind closed doors he was extremely controlling, manipulative and he played mind games (he frequently tried to make you believe that your version of history was wrong, and would actually fabricate events that never happened ).

I suppose I’m a bit wary of any self-proclaimed nice guys, because I’m aware that some of them are not, in fact, THAT nice (although I’m aware that not all of them have psychological issues like the one above). Hell, I’m with a nice guy atm, but he doesn’t feel the need to declare it to everyone, he lets others decide whether he's nice or not.

ReputationRep:
    I recognise far too much of myself in the OP. Not all, but still too much. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    Evidently, you haven't read this thread.

no

but seriously, i know that your talking about the "nice guy" stereotype, I was just making a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quads1992)
    no

but seriously, i know that your talking about the "nice guy" stereotype, I was just making a joke
    Alright. I'm just getting kinda tired of reading all the "not all nice guys are like that"-ish posts. Those people obviously didn't read what the thread was about. ):

but yeah I realized you weren't serious about changing your ways and becoming abusive instead. :P it's just that it didn't really fit into this thread since it's not about what's wrong with nice guys (nothing) but with "nice guys" (everything).

ReputationRep:
    Pop psychology at its best.

ReputationRep:
    BS, it starts of refusing a stereotype about women and then went on for aaaggeeesss creating a stereotype about men.

I bet this article was written by a woman.

ReputationRep:
    What a pile of bull crap and myths. I'm a genuinely decent and nice guy, and have never had any trouble with women. What you are describing cannot be used to blanket cover all guys who show any kind of 'nice' quality. Utterly rediculous.

ReputationRep:
    I am still looking for a truly 'nice guy'. Why would I want someone who is arrogant over someone who truly appreciates me? Nice guys are VERY hard to find.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salad_fingers)
    I think this is more or less me...
    Yeeeees :|
    Never, in the history of the internet has an avatar so aptly fit the post below it.

OP I'm almost certain I used to be like this. (I still have a couple of traits left) once you've been one of these 'nice guys' and realised what you were actually doing is, well all BS, everything you did was to appease someone else and to expect some sort of reward or compensation or validation in return (or in worst cases needy and clingy and just a creep in general), you realise how little people like that sort of attitude and you begin to notice people like this more than others.

What the OP means as a 'nice guy' isn't someone who's genuinely nice, but someone who does things to be seen as nice, so that everyone will like them and then ***** and whine when being fake doesn't get them far. Genuinely nice guys don't give a ******* toss if they're 'seen' as nice.

ReputationRep:
    I see all this stuff like nice guys dont win and all that but if people stopped wallowing in their misery and rolled with the punches/actually did something resembling an effort rather than crying on facebook they'd do better i imagine

ReputationRep:
    What a long winded way of telling losers not to put the woman on a pedestal. 'Brand new information'.
    *To the post above mine, I actually know a guy who does exactly that. Spends his time whining on FB and joining groups about how girls should give nice guys a chance*

Yeah, totally attractive. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    All the woman really needed to say is:

- Women don't like men who aren't confident

Everything she said in that article is directly related to confidence! Jeez.

ReputationRep:
    Women don't like nice guys as much because they dont challenge them. Nothing worth having comes easily

ReputationRep:
    The problem here is that not only does the author not realise that not everyone who shows traits typical of nice people fulfil this stereotype, but society doesn't either.

Some girls ("some" being the operative word), having either experienced the problems that come with dating someone who fits this stereotype or heard about them second-hand, will assume that anyone who carries any of these traits carries all of the others. This only leaves one option for dating -- people who carry none of these traits, who naturally turn out to be jerks. These same girls then complain that every male is either a jerk or a stereptypical "nice guy", not realising that they're generalising a very large group of people into the latter category who are actually perfectly good boyfriends.

That's the way I see it, anyway. It's similar to the attitude that has earned Muslims a stereotype for being intolerant and extremist, and has come about for not entirely dissimilar reasons.

EDIT: This also applies at the other extreme: people who display confience are stereotyped into the "arrogant jerk" category, with all of the accompanying assumptions being made. This seems to happen less often, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    What a pile of bull crap and myths. I'm a genuinely decent and nice guy, and have never had any trouble with women. What you are describing cannot be used to blanket cover all guys who show any kind of 'nice' quality. Utterly rediculous.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6&postcount=56

What's ridiculous is the amount of people failing to understand what this thread is even about.

ReputationRep:
    Its all about learning to be self assured and assertive about what you want without becoming a ****

ReputationRep:
    I do nice things for girls I like, treat them with respect...do everything that fits the "nice guy" profile basically, yet I suck with them in general.

I refuse to believe it's because of my "nice guy" persona though, it's more down to my shyness and below average looks.

I also refuse to change how I act to get a girlfriend, I enjoy doing nice things for people. If that means I don't get a girlfriend fine, but I doubt it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How many times did that extract refer to "women" and "men" as if referring to all of them at once?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr eko)
    I do nice things for girls I like, treat them with respect...do everything that fits the "nice guy" profile basically, yet I suck with them in general.

I refuse to believe it's because of my "nice guy" persona though, it's more down to my shyness and below average looks.

I also refuse to change how I act to get a girlfriend, I enjoy doing nice things for people. If that means I don't get a girlfriend fine, but I doubt it.

This.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.