Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I've never seen something written as true as this about nice guys... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rick-Raith)
    A bit harsh don't you think??

And not sure if you believe children have a good intuition, but most children seem to be cool with me (and no i don't do anything along the lines of a pedophile)
    And there is only one reason why i should stay away from women, but you really wont want to know.
    You kill them in their sleep?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Venus in Furs springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukukiwaiyi)
    "This is akin to the false logic that "Whales are mammals. Whales live in the sea. Therefore, all mammals live in the sea."

Right there. That very ******* sentence contradicts the whole entire essay. Let me substitute "nice guys" for "whales"...

"Nathan, Bob, and Charlie are considered "Nice Guys". Those 3 nice guys are considered losers (they always fail in relationships). Therefore, all "nice guys" are losers who fail in relationships."
    Specious analogy notwithstanding, you appear to have conveniently overlooked the exhaustive definition given in the essay – which I know to be true because, four years ago, I embodied it.

To re-iterate:

For ****'s sake; this isn't about genuinely 'nice' guys (otherwise known as 'gentlemen'), but rather the stereotypical 'Nice Guy'. The author even goes so far as to make it a proper noun – what more evidence do you need?

No: suffice it to say that the difference between these two categories is as profound as between me four years ago, and me today.

ReputationRep:
    what a crock of ****, not every nice guy is retardedly insecure

ReputationRep:
    there seems like a higher than adverage number of psychos on this thread....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Dude every post you make makes you sound more and more like a creep, and I can only presume that the girls that are interested in you are either manipulative, or psycho.
    Haha the few girls which are interested in me are the few decent girls I know... one has tried manipulating me, really has failed majorly. And neither of 2 that i am describing seem psycho, in truth, not sure if you have ever looked at zodiac personalities, but one was an aries... very straight forward, ie everyone can read them easier than they can read others since they show themselves fully (she tried manipulating me).
    Other was a cancer, very sensitive, caring, understands others etc. I explained all my philosophies to her, she seemed to understand and was still cool with me. I explained how I was fully, and she was the most confused after everything for various reasons, and i never tried manipulating her since she was actually perfect for me in all areas. (she lives in another country so couldn't have a proper long lasting relationship with her)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    Generalisation.
    Guys are only nice because they are insecure pussies who want to buy love? Maybe they're just not being dicks.
    Sure some guys are like that, but not all are. Anything that starts off by generalising is always going to be wrong.
    Are you actually conscious of the irony here?

Then again maybe I have a different definition of nice guy. I'd think that nice guys are romantic but they certainly aren't clingy or jealous - that's not being nice.
    Jesus wept. I'm starting to wonder where all the literate guys are.

ReputationRep:
    A bit harsh don't you think??

And not sure if you believe children have a good intuition, but most children seem to be cool with me (and no i don't do anything along the lines of a pedophile)
    And there is only one reason why i should stay away from women, but you really wont want to know.
    Just stop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    You kill them in their sleep?
    Haha, that would really make you feel better... but no. Its actually the most dangerous thing. But seriously, i wont say cause everyone from then on will think of me more of an ***hole, though in real life i am the total opposite. And though good for my ego, really not clever to make public as i am not so proud of it, though it is probably what some guys would wish for (i know since i used to, until i realised that i had this)

ReputationRep:
    I prefer nice guys

ReputationRep:
    interesting read, it reminds a lot of what i have done before with the gift buying parts especially, not with everyone i have ever liked as i am not that stupid but with some people. but at the end of the day if u are a genuinely nice person u will find someone. yes we do love more than one person in life and that works both ways, there is more than just one person for each of us. i remeber when my mates at school found out i liked someone and they foucused on it, i was there thinking 'i have got other interests to u know' meaning it is possible to like more than one person. but all in all a very interesting read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarletsmoke)
    You do realise there are such things as nice guys who aren't retarded? I read half that an got bored, but not every nice guy is as insecure as u make out... I mean, I'm a nice guy, I say nice things to people, but I don't try and buy peoples affection, or be nice to cover up who I really am. I'm nice because it means people are nice back. I'm just happy, not insecure.
    Probably this.
    Come on. It is really just one persons opinion OP. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Go on, tell us. I can promise you without any shadow of a doubt that this secret will not make you look worse than you already do.
    :rofl:

Edit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintage_007)
    I didn't read all of it because it's utter ***** - if you are a 'nice guy', you will find someone and that relationship will stay.

If you are genuinely nice, you are not doing anything wrong - keep being you
    I don't think this article is suggesting that a jerk is better. What I grasped from it wasn't that girls wanted somebody who'd treat them like ****, but that instead they simply don't want a neurotic coward that sucks up to them.

"Nice guy" isn't so much a term to describe any male that isn't a jerk, but more a euphemism for the person described in the article. Obviously the article was written to provoke so it goes a little over the top, but frankly I think a lot of the people who consider themselves "nice guys" should read it and stop blaming females for their own shortcomings.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think 'nice guys' here literally means all guys who are 'nice'
    Its a certain type of guy, the one that when you break up with him and your friends ask why the first words out of your mouth are usually 'He's a really nice guy but....'
    I recently dated a 'nice guy' and he was lovely, really sweet...took me to London for my birthday on an all expences paid trip...and my reasoning when i wrestled with the idea of dating him was that he was a 'nice guy' so it couldnt be that bad.
    Unfortunately, for all his niceness, he lacked an awful lot of social skills (and as im a VERY social drama student it kinda noticed to me) and sadly he just couldnt make me laugh...I felt a little too smothered by him and as though he was only really seeing me cos i was his first girlfriend.
    In the end it came down to a complete lack of mutual interests so i broke up with him...not because he was a 'nice guy', but reading this i completely understood parts of it. But i dont think that means nice guys will all die alone. I'd happily have a nice guy, just someone with a bit more confidence
    and wow my post is long! sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Go on, tell us. I can promise you without any shadow of a doubt that this secret will not make you look worse than you already do.
    you think??
    haha well i suppose you asked for it...

Only been with 2 people sexually and both were more like dating them rather than anyone i have dated.

the one which was more 'manipulating' tried to keep me doing something by saying she would take her top off, said no, she was shocked and created an intrigue.

the other was my first making out session as well as almost everything else short of the last, she was confused as to her it seemed like i was good at everything; academics, music, poetry, sports, good looking enough, -->nice guy<-- , parents liked me, over protective sister liked me (and i didn't even try anything to make them like me, i was younger and she told herself she wouldn't get with someone younger etc, can easily go on...

But I gave both of them, an experience they had NEVER had before and both never had any clue that anything was my first time, well when i told them. And apart from the 'manipulating' one who was just wanting to have some fun, kept me there. Though she had every excuse to get me to go (both past our curfew). The other we had many wonderful times, and even after feeling bad about being with the other at a period between us, she still wanted to be with me, and still allowed me to do all sorts which she made a point of saying she would not normally do with anyone else... she also has many insecurities which bother her majorly, and she was 100% fine with me and her insecurities....
    Basically it seems that over a short period of just being my nice (psycho) self, that i have made one of them almost fall in lust or better/worse more than that with me. The other, if it was just for fun would have been more comfortable with me the next day, but she was still cool with me, but she seemed to make it a slight more awkward meaning something or other (especially since she hates long distance relationships)

ReputationRep:
    you think??
    haha well i suppose you asked for it...

Only been with 2 people sexually and both were more like dating them rather than anyone i have dated.

the one which was more 'manipulating' tried to keep me doing something by saying she would take her top off, said no, she was shocked and created an intrigue.

the other was my first making out session as well as almost everything else short of the last, she was confused as to her it seemed like i was good at everything; academics, music, poetry, sports, good looking enough, -->nice guy<-- , parents liked me, over protective sister liked me (and i didn't even try anything to make them like me, i was younger and she told herself she wouldn't get with someone younger etc, can easily go on...

But I gave both of them, an experience they had NEVER had before and both never had any clue that anything was my first time, well when i told them. And apart from the 'manipulating' one who was just wanting to have some fun, kept me there. Though she had every excuse to get me to go (both past our curfew). The other we had many wonderful times, and even after feeling bad about being with the other at a period between us, she still wanted to be with me, and still allowed me to do all sorts which she made a point of saying she would not normally do with anyone else... she also has many insecurities which bother her majorly, and she was 100% fine with me and her insecurities....
    Basically it seems that over a short period of just being my nice (psycho) self, that i have made one of them almost fall in lust or better/worse more than that with me. The other, if it was just for fun would have been more comfortable with me the next day, but she was still cool with me, but she seemed to make it a slight more awkward meaning something or other (especially since she hates long distance relationships)
    dude that just does'nt make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sad Clown)
    dude that just does'nt make sense.
    Ok not the easiest thing to explain... but to put it as simply as possible... it seems like, given the chance, i have made two people like me tons more than they may have expected... and i am not a bad guy, and i am still a "nice guy" tiny bit of a good guy, but i follow a "nice guy" more but still am totally different

ReputationRep:
    I just want to spell it out for the people who are confused, as there seem to be a lot of them in this thread:

"Nice Guys" are called "Nice Guys" not because they are nice guys, but because, when the object of obsession a girl finally manages to escape from dump such a guy, he's inevitably going to wail "but I don't deserve this / why did she do this to me, I'm such a Nice Guy!!"

They are actually delusional, clingy, sometimes passive aggressive creeps with no self-respect whatsoever.

In fact the difference to a normal, genuinely nice guy should be immediately apparent from the OP, but I guess many people have never experienced a "Nice Guy" first hand, so interpret the OP as a slur on nice guys. Well I hope this ^ cleared up the confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I just want to spell it out for the people who are confused, as there seem to be a lot of them in this thread:

"Nice Guys" are called "Nice Guys" not because they are nice guys, but because, when the object of obsession a girl finally manages to escape from dump such a guy, he's inevitably going to wail "but I don't deserve this / why did she do this to me, I'm such a Nice Guy!!"

They are actually delusional, clingy, sometimes passive aggressive creeps with no self-respect whatsoever.

In fact the difference to a normal, genuinely nice guy should be immediately apparent from the OP, but I guess many people have never experienced a "Nice Guy" first hand, so interpret the OP as a slur on nice guys. Well I hope this ^ cleared up the confusion.
    REAAAAD THISSSSS

you TL;DR ******S

I'm tired of reading the same "I'm actually a nice guy and this thread is so full of wrong stereotypes! I have no problems with females" all the time.

READ the damn thread.

>:(

thank you, ilys.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.