Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    First, I'd like to apologise for posting this, since I'm sure there are tonnes of these types of posts all the time, but I've been thinking about this for months and have no idea what to do.

So, really it's your basic "I have no idea what I'm going to do for a career" dilemma, brought on by getting further into my A Levels and completely panicking. I feel confused about what to do. Right now, I'm doing AS levels, and doing French, German, Eng Lit and Psychology. I've not been enjoying my time at sixth form though (to put it lightly) and I've completely lost all interest in these subject, for quite a while now. I'm sort of out on a limb, because these are my best subjects. Careers/ degrees concerning them don't appeal at all. I used to be pretty academic and really into my work - esp. languages, but I've drifted away from it, particularly after my GCSE results, which, because of the environment I'm in, I feel like I've failed.

The idea of doing art/ design or something similar has really started to appeal lately because of the creative aspect (something very important to me and which drew me to English - I loved writing) and I thought perhaps something along those lines. But I wouldn't even know where to start, and as you can see, my subjects have nothing to do with it! I did take art for GCSE and my teacher said I had some talent, but after I had to move schools, I had to drop it in favour of French since the subjects clashed, and I keep battling with myself over what to do - try and find a way to follow this route, or just keep going with the direction I'm going in and leave it? I wouldn't drop my A Levels - they're something to fall back on, at least, and my family would freak out, haha - but I'm getting so frustrated. Any advice would help a lot.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Do what makes you happy. If that's art and design, go for art and design.

A few links. You'll be able to get on to many relevant courses with your choice of A-Levels:

http://www.beds.ac.uk/courses/bysubj...tdes/ba-artdes
    http://www.bcu.ac.uk/biad/courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    First, I'd like to apologise for posting this, since I'm sure there are tonnes of these types of posts all the time, but I've been thinking about this for months and have no idea what to do.

So, really it's your basic "I have no idea what I'm going to do for a career" dilemma, brought on by getting further into my A Levels and completely panicking. I feel confused about what to do. Right now, I'm doing AS levels, and doing French, German, Eng Lit and Psychology. I've not been enjoying my time at sixth form though (to put it lightly) and I've completely lost all interest in these subject, for quite a while now. I'm sort of out on a limb, because these are my best subjects. Careers/ degrees concerning them don't appeal at all. I used to be pretty academic and really into my work - esp. languages, but I've drifted away from it, particularly after my GCSE results, which, because of the environment I'm in, I feel like I've failed.

The idea of doing art/ design or something similar has really started to appeal lately because of the creative aspect (something very important to me and which drew me to English - I loved writing) and I thought perhaps something along those lines. But I wouldn't even know where to start, and as you can see, my subjects have nothing to do with it! I did take art for GCSE and my teacher said I had some talent, but after I had to move schools, I had to drop it in favour of French since the subjects clashed, and I keep battling with myself over what to do - try and find a way to follow this route, or just keep going with the direction I'm going in and leave it? I wouldn't drop my A Levels - they're something to fall back on, at least, and my family would freak out, haha - but I'm getting so frustrated. Any advice would help a lot.

Thanks.
    Hey,

Firstly, don't feel like you're alone. So many people feel like this, sometimes whilst doing their A-Levels, sometimes before, sometimes after! It's normal to be considering all your options and natural to wonder what avenue to go down. Try not to panic and think about things clearly! You're still young and have plenty of time to work-out where you want to go!

I studied French, German, Psychology, Design Technology and General Studies at A-Level. I then took French at University. I'm a creative person, like yourself, and love art and design. I studied French for 2 years and loved it and then spent the summer out in France. It was whilst out in France I began to wonder if I really wanted a career in business, using my French or whether I wanted to do something different. I loved being out there and I enjoyed the city I was living in SO MUCH but I didn't enjoy working in an office environment. I have since been thinking about what to do and because of my history in work experience in schools, education is something I'm looking into. I figured being a primary school teacher with a qualification in French, would make me a favourable and employable person as well as giving me the opportunity to use my skills as well as express my creativity and educate children.

I have been seeking help and advice from parents, family, friends and my boyfriend, who have all been really supportive. I suggest you talk to similar people and if, for whatever reason, you feel unable to talk to them, perhaps a careers advisor at your school or the local Connexions branch?

You have so many options ahead of you. I'd recommend taking your A-Levels and if by the end of your second year, you still aren't sure/happy about your choices, you can take a gap year, stay at school/sixth form to complete an A-Level in Art, go to college, go to Uni or work for a year. You can defer entry to Uni if you're unsure about studying and take some time out to figure out what it is you want to do. You can get a degree at any stage of your life and despite any social pressures or stigmas, it's more and more common to get a degree later or postpone Uni until you're ready. Just focus on getting the best A-Levels you can and start researching your options!

If you need any help/advice, feel free to ask!

Hope this has helped, somewhat! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, both of you - the links are definitely something to check out (I'm looking at the Birmingham Uni website as I type this, haha!) and thank you very much for your advice, RadioHeart. I'm sure there are tonnes like me out there, which is a comforting thought - it's just hard to remember that when a lot of my friends are so sure and focused about what they want to do (which seems to be all math and sciene related?!) It can make you feel a bit out of it. But what you said makes a lot of sense, so I'm going to have a good think about it after my exams this year. I'll see about the Connexions branch - I'm not so sure those at school would be too enthusiastic the art idea, haha! (They're extremely into the studies and whatnot there.)
    Thank you again for your help.

P.S. I love France too! The picture in your sig is gorgeous. Studying abroad there at some point was one of the possibilities I was considering, it's such a beautiful country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    As people before me have said "don't panic". Your A Levels are coming to an end but you are still young. I'm very much in the same situation, only I gave up studying psychology at uni to try and find work. I don't know what I want, so I'm trying to find a full-time position in a shop to give myself time to think, and if I enjoy it there then I don't need to move.

There is absolutely no need to rush into anything. If need be take time out from education and university and take some time to think. Try various different jobs and find what suits you. Are you a decorator? A teacher? A politician? Many many people don't realise what they want to be until they're in their 30s.

The recession is still going so this will make leaving education more difficult, but don't let that put you off if you feel you need time out. Volunteer, go to Connexions and the JobCentre and talk to advisors there. They may be able to give you options you haven't thought of.

I would also say don't rule out apprenticeships, even if you're very academic. They can range from short courses of only 13 weeks to 4 or 5 years. If one of them interests you it may be worth trying for it, particularly if it's a short course.

Also, if you're interested in art you may be interested in the Open College of Arts. I don't think you need related A Levels and you can do it while you work. It's worth looking into anyway.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.