Turn on thread page Beta

A2 Chemistry (Unit 4) - Questions arising from revision! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I will be grateful to anyone who can help me with any of the following questions! Unanswered queries cloud my mind :eek3: I'm really not being lazy but I've got 3 textbooks and can't find these out.

Seriously though I am really grateful for any help.

1) CH3CH(OH)CH2NH2 ......is that 1-aminopropanol or 2-hydroxypropylamine? Or doesn't it matter?
    Answered.

2) For reduction of carbonyl group C=O, we can use NaBH4 aqueous followed by dil. H2SO4. Is that correct? One textbook seems to think it should be NaBH4 in ethanol?

3) Does benzene discolour bromine water (i.e. test for double bonds)?
    Answered.

4) How do you get nucleophilic substitution of chlorine or bromine into benzene?
    Answered.

5) C6H5N ----> C6H5COOH
    How does this happen? :confused:

6) Is Sn just a catalyst in the reduction of nitriles or does it actually react with the HCl?
    Answered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seeker1)
    Hi everyone, I will be grateful to anyone who can help me with any of the following questions! Unanswered queries cloud my mind :eek3: I'm really not being lazy but I've got 3 textbooks and can't find these out.

1) CH3CH(OH)CH2NH2 ......is that 1-aminopropanol or 2-hydroxypropylamine? Or doesn't it matter?
    I would go for aminopropan-2-ol.. but I'm not a chemist..

2) For reduction of carbonyl group C=O, we can use NaBH4 aqueous followed by dil. H2SO4. Is that correct? One textbook seems to think it should be NaBH4 in ethanol?
    cant remember

no - the delocalized pi systems stablise benzine so that it deos not readily undergo electrophilic substitution

4) How do you get nucleophilic substitution of chlorine or bromine into benzene?
    Use a halogen carrier

6) Is Sn just a catalyst in the reduction of nitriles or does it actually react with the HCl?
    It's just a catalyst
    gotta worn you, it's been a long time...

ReputationRep:
    A halogen carrier? But a Br- or Cl- ion wouldn't work for electrophilic substitution... would it attack nucleophilically (is that a word lol) on a delta positive C atom? I'm just trying to think how it would work.

ReputationRep:
    have a free (and bloody good) chemistry site - I used it lots at A2 www.chemguide.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    A halogen carrier? But a Br- or Cl- ion wouldn't work for electrophilic substitution... would it attack nucleophilically (is that a word lol) on a delta positive C atom? I'm just trying to think how it would work.
    http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanism...ation.html#top
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    The general 'rule' is that the most oxidised group takes priority. That would make it:

1-aminopropan-2-ol

The sulphuric acid is just used for the 'work up' - it is not part of the reduction reaction.

No

Benzene undergoes electrophilic substitution using an AlCl3/Cl2 (Freidel Crafts catalyst system)

The chlorine molecule 'bonds' to the electron deficient aluminium trichloride:
    Cl---Cl--->AlCl3
    weakening the Cl-Cl bond and polarising it:

(d+)Cl---Cl--->AlCl3

The partially positive chlorine can then be attacked by the benzene delocalised electrons.

5) C6H5N ----> C6H5COOH
    Your first molecule does not exist!

No it is not a catalyst.
    The Sn reacts with HCl producing hydrogen gas which acts as the reductant. The product is an intermediate tin complex which must then be decomposed by the addition of dilute base to release the amine.

Tin cannot be recovered chemically unchanged, so it cannot be a catalyst.

ReputationRep:
    I have atm no motivation to revise for the upcoming Unit 4, mainly because I have three exams before it.
    But I'm generally comfortable with Unit 4, if any chapter I'm still if'fy about it's Chapter 11 of the AQA spec. Don't like mass IR spectrum and that..:rolleyes:

Btw good luck with your studies.

ReputationRep:
    First off, a huge thank you.

(Original post by charco)
    5) C6H5N ----> C6H5COOH
    Your first molecule does not exist!
    My bad!

C6H5CN ------> C6H5COOH
    I don't know how you would remove the N atom :|

(btw I don't think this is on the syllabus but I still do appreciate your help so much - knowledge for the sake of knowledge as they say!)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    First off, a huge thank you.

My bad!

C6H5CN ------> C6H5COOH
    I don't know how you would remove the N atom :|

(btw I don't think this is on the syllabus but I still do appreciate your help so much - knowledge for the sake of knowledge as they say!)
    It's very easy, you just warm the compound up with dilute acid:

C6H5CN + H2O --> C6H5CONH2

C6H5CONH2 + H2O + H+ --> C6H5COOH + NH4+

ReputationRep:
    my bad on the tin front.. but I'm sure I was taught it was a catalyst.. - ow well my chemistry days are long gone

ReputationRep:

Answered.

Answered.

Answered.

5) C6H5N ----> C6H5COOH

Answered.

You mean C6H5CN its a hydrolysis reaction using water acidified with dil HCL.

You can use a wide range of reagents, because you want a H+ ion, you can even use methanol with water :yes: .

ReputationRep:

I was told it was NaBH4 and H20 :/.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 17, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.