Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are girls more selective than guys? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Evolution yes. Girls and choosy males are competetivey
    it's cos females have more to ''lose'' init. males can just :hump: and then run off apparently.

(Original post by Shivvling)
    tbh I really dont care how attractive one is, how the consecutive generations pan out in terms of attractiveness because we all know that when there's an earthquake, a tsunami or a landslide, humans are utterly a fail, be they attractive or not. And we're coming to the end. Fast.
    Amen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorafdfs)
    Because most guys are desperate and incapable of overcoming primal instincts.

Glad you said most not all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Evolution yes. Girls and choosy males are competetivey
    it's cos females have more to ''lose'' init. males can just :hump: and then run off apparently.

Amen.
    :facepalm2:

Just because I got between your legs last week doesn't mean you lost anything.

Was I good? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    Because you touch yourself at night
    I win, see first page.

ReputationRep:
    Girls aren't any more choosey than I am! I'm bloody picky! For me it's quality not quantity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    I win, see first page.
    FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Because most guys will go with anything with a pulse.
    congratulations for the first generalisation and epic exaggeration of the thread. combined with anonymous and you couldn have done better.

ReputationRep:
    guys can be just as bad!

ReputationRep:
    the evolutionary theory and sexual selection theory explain this.. women only have a limited number of times they can give birth n have offspring, so they want to make it count, ensuring the male they choose has the best physical qualities/ genes to pass on..in the hope to increase their youngs chance of survival..hence girls are picky, men however can impregnate endless amounts of women (given the chance) and so tend to be less picky as a large number of offspring are bound to survive if they have so many... according to Attenborough, women go for quality rather than quantity and men go for quantity rather than quality...

gosh..someone has been revising aqa a2 psychology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domlague)
    Are they? I don't know... I reckon I'm pretty selective.

PS @ O-Ren: Biology doesn't 'know' anything, and looking at boys and girls from the same parents one finds that more often than not they're each other's equals in terms of looks.
    I don't think that's true, biology responds to society. Our bodies are much cleverer than we can comprehend. I read a paper that said the more attractive the parents the more likely they are to have girls. 60% more likely in fact. Of course the paper could one day be refuted - that is the nature of science - but I'm not a psychologist and neither are you so meh. We can both only parrot what we've read or draw on what we've observed.

You can't refute the paper with your observation though :P

Just re-read: your observation is actually really silly. That's not what I said, I said that two attractive parents are more likely to have girls than boys. Not that the boys they do have will be uglier than the girls

ReputationRep:
    because girls dont think with their genitals, they usually take more into consideration than the fact that they wanna get lucky!

ReputationRep:
    Why then, do you see so many couples of unattractive men with hot women, but NEVER hot men with unattractive women? Hmmmm?

(Although I think the statement is largely true, but it's all to do with sex drive - apparently men drive stonking 4x4 while we women chug along in our fiats)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !Borek)
    guys can be just as bad!
    Yuup. I think guys are more judgemental.

ReputationRep:
    Also like many others I would disagree that guys go for quantity over quality. Some do, most don't I think. They go for the hottest they can get and if they're all dogs they only usually go for them if some kind of game involving man points is going on.

ReputationRep:
    Mainly, girls are looking for a guy who would make a good father -instinct

That's generally why girls don't **** all round them and guys do
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    because they can only get pregnant every 9 months. Need to be selective about the father.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In terms of willingness to go with the opposite sex? Girls tend to look at a guy and think 'ew' more times than vica versa.
    because they have a choice

ReputationRep:
    Because they haven't met me yet and if they have and turn me down, they're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel27)
    That's generally why girls don't **** all round them and guys do
    Actually its because a lot of guys take what comes their way because girls usually decide who's getting laid and who isn't thus opportunities may be limited for some.

ReputationRep:
    Cause i produce a few million sperm a second.

Girls produce 1 egg a month, only for a good 20-30 years.

I can go impregnate tons of girls, and nothing will happen to me. For the girl though she then has a kid that she has to raise.

It's a simple evolutionary reason. Girls have to be selective, if the position was reversed and men only produced tiny amount of sperm and women produced tons of eggs, then men would be the selectors. Simple as that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.