Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are girls more selective than guys? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    Actually its because a lot of guys take what comes their way because girls usually decide who's getting laid and who isn't thus opportunities may be limited for some.
    Only guys who aren't getting laid say that. A guy who will get laid no matter what has a lot of choice in the matter. Choice is GOOD. Get a **** buddy and send your standards through the roof. Life is good that way! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Only guys who aren't getting laid say that. A guy who will get laid no matter what has a lot of choice in the matter. Choice is GOOD. Get a **** buddy and send your standards through the roof. Life is good that way! :yes:
    No i've always said that whether I'm getting laid or not and it's supported by the fact a girl could go up to most guys and ask for a **** and more would say yes than the other way round. This means SOME guys become a bit less picky.

I have pretty high standards because I know what I can achieve, especially based off my last girl who was a real babe and a genuinely nice girl - both of which I think are important. I know you like to think of yourself as Mr Casanova but don't jump to conclusions from the slightly cynical opinions I have.

ReputationRep:
    No i've always said that whether I'm getting laid or not and it's supported by the fact a girl could go up to most guys and ask for a **** and more would say yes than the other way round. This means SOME guys become a bit less picky.

I have pretty high standards because I know what I can achieve, especially based off my last girl who was a real babe and a genuinely nice girl - both of which I think are important. I know you like to think of yourself as Mr Casanova but don't jump to conclusions from the slightly cynical opinions I have.
    I'm not Casanova... yet. Give it a while. Got a ways to go yet, but I improve daily towards my goal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not Casanova... yet. Give it a while. Got a ways to go yet, but I improve daily towards my goal.
    No need to become a Casanova, one decent girl suffices, well for me anyway. Shame at our age girls are too fickle thus people become players.

ReputationRep:
    No need to become a Casanova, one decent girl suffices, well for me anyway. Shame at our age girls are too fickle thus people become players.
    One girl is the dream. But the problem is the chase becomes an addiction of sorts. But one day I would like to find a girl who really takes my breath away not only with her looks but the way she talks and what she says.

ReputationRep:
    One girl is the dream. But the problem is the chase becomes an addiction of sorts. But one day I would like to find a girl who really takes my breath away not only with her looks but the way she talks and what she says.
    Yeah just hope it doesn't happen too soon, because as I say at our age girls are fickle and you just end up losing them as fast as you've picked them up. It's kind of ironic that girls cry out for nice guys when they turn the nice guys into players.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just hope it doesn't happen too soon, because as I say at our age girls are fickle and you just end up losing them as fast as you've picked them up. It's kind of ironic that girls cry out for nice guys when they turn the nice guys into players.
    It is. They break a lot of hearts even from early ages then wonder why that sweet kid they knew turned into a heartbreaker himself. You reap what you sow I guess. The three biggest womanizers I know personally have all been through some crazy stupid **** with girls when they were younger. Oh well, no pain no gain.

ReputationRep:
    :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    ^^ above is actually true

Two attractive parents are more likely to have a female child than a male, our biology knows that attractiveness gets females further than it does guys

Therefore more attractive females are born

As a bi girl I can say there are more girls I've thought 'wow' with than guys

Edit: typo

Second edit: I mean the one above the one above. I posted too slow.
    really?
    As far as I know its completely random...

ReputationRep:
    You must know different girls to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    No. Guys can't get it up easily after a certain age without medical help. They evolved this so they wouldn't make babies when they were old men as lots of diseases are more likely when parents are old. I know autism is more likely in the child as men get older.
    This is hardly universal, many men have no problem gaining erection well into their sixties and seventies.

ReputationRep:
    There are less eggs than sperm, that's the essence of it.

ReputationRep:
    It has to be said, that whilst this might be a consequence of social pressure and you may or may not approve of it, women are much more clued in to how to look good, how to maximise their sexual appearance and potential.

Girls are more interested in fashion, personal grooming (ie make up), concern about their figure etc. They might stress about it more but it does have a benefit.

If you find a single guy, who has been single for a while, the odds are he has a messy room, little interest in fashion, has not thought much about how he has his hair or other general grooming etc. He probably thinks its cool to be disinterested.

A single girl on the other hand, will probably have a tidy well ordered room, have thought about what she wears, has a ready supply of sexy underwear, has her hair exactly how she wants it, has her make up exactly how she wants it, and is ready to "go" if she meets someone who shows an interest.

Hence the girl in that example is more likely to pick up male attention, than the equivalent lazy male

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    There are less eggs than sperm, that's the essence of it.
    Exactly. It's simple evolutionary biology. Men, have millions of sperm, so want as many partners as possible, whereas women have one egg every 28 days so are naturally more selective, and want the best partners possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    I don't think that's true, biology responds to society. Our bodies are much cleverer than we can comprehend. I read a paper that said the more attractive the parents the more likely they are to have girls. 60% more likely in fact. Of course the paper could one day be refuted - that is the nature of science - but I'm not a psychologist and neither are you so meh. We can both only parrot what we've read or draw on what we've observed.

You can't refute the paper with your observation though :P

Just re-read: your observation is actually really silly. That's not what I said, I said that two attractive parents are more likely to have girls than boys. Not that the boys they do have will be uglier than the girls
    Readers Digest I pressume.

ReputationRep:
    Most guys I know are very very picky! I mean they will latch onto any bad quality in a girl as an excuse to deem them "undo-able" although I've noticed they do this more with girls they respect less.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, depends on who you're talking to of either sex.

ReputationRep:
    we're not as desperate so we're less likely to take whatever we can get, there aren't that many good looking guys, cos guys are more desperate we have greater choice/more options so can afford to be selective

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In terms of willingness to go with the opposite sex? Girls tend to look at a guy and think 'ew' more times than vica versa.
    If you want the real scientific answer, I suggest you read the book 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins

But essentially it is because girls only have one egg at a time, while men have many millions of sperm, and so it is normal for a girl to be more picky, because she stands more to lose, aka get pregrant, while the male can in theory keep going. Of course this biological process is now a bit more complex with the 'pill' and education etc. This programme that Dawkin describs is purely unconcious, we as homo sapiens are gifted with conciounce (however you spell it), adding a extra dimension. Hope this adds a angle to the debate.

JL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In terms of willingness to go with the opposite sex? Girls tend to look at a guy and think 'ew' more times than vica versa.
    An evolutionary explanation

men have more to lose through reproduction and as such are more picky by nature. they will therefore be more attracted to men who show signs of hosuing healthier genes and and will protect and gather resources.

these signs of healthy genes can be things that may be passed down to the potential offspring and will help their survival such as muscles, height or/and show signs of intelligance.

from a selfish point of view the women also look at these same characteristics. Strength and height signal protection, and intelligance signals an abillity for gaining resources.

Ofcourse this all isnt as much use these days as someone can manipulate these needs by reading alot and going to the gym. this is probably vbecause the world around us evolved to quickly for us to adapt to it.

Going back to women having more to lose through pregnancy, remember, in the time it takes for a women to have a baby, a man could have shagged plenty more girls. the process of pregnancy also has a physical strain on the women and she needs to know that she has created a child with someone who isnt going to just leave her as she will be unable to gather resources for herself.

As i have said, in this day and age it is pretty irrelevant due to contraception, benefits, pregnancy leave from work and womens equality. However as we have evolved to behave as such, many of these behaviours stick with us.

people will undoubtabely quote me criticising what I have said saying "I am a women and ima ****" or "Im a man and im picky" but i have just offered a potentially true explanation that describes the general beahviour. There are always going to be deviance away from how most people act as some men may be so hansome that they only shag beautiful women. But on the whole, I am going to stick with the evolutionary explanation!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.