Turn on thread page Beta

Your "must have" vegetarian dish watch

ReputationRep:
    shitake mushrooms and tofu :drool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasharox)
    Pesto's not usually veggie, unfortunately Although most restaurants haven't realised this yet!
    What do you mean it's not veggie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    What do you mean it's not veggie?
    It's made with Italian hard cheese, which is never vegetarian - it's made using animal rennet, and enzyme from calfs' stomachs. A lot of cheese is made with this, but you can almost always get alternatives. Italian hard cheese is the exception, unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what it's called but:
    brocolli, leeks, tomatoes, cauliflower, pine nuts, tofu, erm cheese I think too.
    My mum makes it. It's very nice

flagoli (don't think you spell it like that AT ALL) bean lasagne

ReputationRep:
    It's made with Italian hard cheese, which is never vegetarian - it's made using animal rennet, and enzyme from calfs' stomachs. A lot of cheese is made with this, but you can almost always get alternatives. Italian hard cheese is the exception, unfortunately
    You veggies, so goddamn pedantic! Just buy some vegetarian parmesan cheese then. Actually, if you go to a decent deli you can buy pecorino that doesn't have calf rennents in it.

Okay, if I'm not allowed to include pesto as my vegetarian dish, it will have to be Mushroom risotto (no parmesan cheese added at the end!)

ReputationRep:
    Anything with Quorn in it Yum
    Tofu is nice too.

I live on that ^ plus different sorts of beans, veg (obviously), pastas, salads, fruit.
    Most non-veg meals can be made vegetarian by using a substitute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicealice)
    pasta with vegetables and fried halloumi in a tomato sauce is usually a crowd pleaser :yes:

but my absolute cannot-live-without-it meal is Melazane Alla Parmegiano : slices of fried aubergine baked with mozzarella, tomato sauce and basil leaves and topped with Parmesan.

Yummmmm. I need it now! :woo:

Oo yum, how do you make that aubergine thing? i had something like that at pizza express and i've been wanting to make it since

ReputationRep:
    It's usually made with Italian hard cheese, such as Parmesan, which is unfortunately never ever veggie. It's made with animal rennet, and there aren't any widely available alternatives.
    Ah I see. This is what the head of the vegetarian society @ Brizzle pretty much pinned me to the wall to explain (I brought risotto to a veggie soc bring and share party and brought the parmesan separately so that the veggies could add it but the vegans could still eat my risotto. I got slapped down so hard.) That said, according to her you can buy some kind of hard cheese alternative from Sainsbury's that is vegetarian. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Ah I see. This is what the head of the vegetarian society @ Brizzle pretty much pinned me to the wall to explain (I brought risotto to a veggie soc bring and share party and brought the parmesan separately so that the veggies could add it but the vegans could still eat my risotto. I got slapped down so hard.) That said, according to her you can buy some kind of hard cheese alternative from Sainsbury's that is vegetarian. :dontknow:
    You can It's good stuff, but just not widely used in recipes unfortunately. The only restaurant I know of that uses veggie hard cheese is Pizza Hut.

But I guess it's an easy mistake to make. I have so many veggie cook books that include Parmesan! Makes me rage every time.

ReputationRep:
    Onion soup..or bruchetta..mmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendragon)
    Nothing had been mentioned of why the op was turning veggie.
    Furthermore nothing had been said about the op's current diet.
    Or allergies.
    Yet you go mentioning something that they appear to be getting away from.

So, as I said before:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing had been mentioned of why the op was turning veggie.
    Furthermore nothing had been said about the op's current diet.
    Or allergies.
    Yet you go mentioning something that they appear to be getting away from.

So, as I said before:

Telling someone who is considering giving up all meat that it would be healthier to give up red meat and chicken and just eat more fish is perfectly good and sensible advice from a nutritional point of view.

If they are allergic to fish then they will obviously know to disregard it, but I doubt that the reason they are looking for veggie options is that they have suddenly become allergic to red meat, chicken and fish, that would be a most unusual thing to happen to someone.

So I have no idea what you are getting at.

ReputationRep:
    Telling someone who is considering giving up all meat that it would be healthier to give up red meat and chicken and just eat more fish is perfectly good and sensible advice from a nutritional point of view.

If they are allergic to fish then they will obviously know to disregard it, but I doubt that the reason they are looking for veggie options is that they have suddenly become allergic to red meat, chicken and fish, that would be a most unusual thing to happen to someone.

So I have no idea what you are getting at.
    Based on what I've underlined, with the context of what I've put. You're a ******* idiot.

Moving on from that, from a nutritional point of view you can be perfectly healthy on a vegan diet, so there isn't a need for fish. The op mentioned nothing of red meat. However they did mention something about vegetarian dishes.
    What I'm getting at is that your comment when it's in such a vague and unknown context is unhelpful.

ReputationRep:
    Curries: Red bean curry (with the right spices) and chick pea curry, both served with naan bread
    Paneer: Chilli paneer or saag paneer are good
    Other:
    Dahi Wada - Its like these balls, deep fried, with thick beaten yoghurt and pepper and flavourings etc on top - had this today
    Bhel Puri and Pani Puri - Delicious, got to try them, seriously nice. At most Indian restaurants.
    Samosas, Spring Rolls and Onion Bhajis
    Pau Bhaji - Toasted Buns served with these mixed vegetables in thick gravy, don't know how to describe it. See for yourself. This is my favourite.
    Fried baby corn with chill
    Mango Pulp if its hot outside
    Uttapam - Its a lentil pizza.. sort of
    Noodles
    Pizza, Pasta
    Dosa - these can be huge at some restaurants - they are like lentil crepes with fillings and served with dips. Like the one below. Had this today as well

That, Subway, Weetabix and fruit consitutes what I eat on a day-to-day basis.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Based on what I've underlined, with the context of what I've put. You're a ******* idiot.

Moving on from that, from a nutritional point of view you can be perfectly healthy on a vegan diet, so there isn't a need for fish. The op mentioned nothing of red meat. However they did mention something about vegetarian dishes.
    What I'm getting at is that your comment when it's in such a vague and unknown context is unhelpful.
    Eating fish and its omega-3 fatty oils is very good for you and will prolong your life. Okinawans have amongst the longest life expectancies in the world owing to their healthy lifestyle and diet of fish, seaweed, soy, tofu, vegetables and rice. They have lower levels of most types of cancer and heart disease and usually live longer than everyone else.

If you want to be vegan or vegetarian for ethical reasons good for you, but I am just pointing out that if anyone was considering it for health reasons the nutritionally optimal diet for health and longevity would include fish.

You have just randomly attacked me for giving sound nutritional advice, and the reason is now obvious - you have a vegan agenda and don't like anyone being told that fish is good for you. If you don't want to eat fish don't, but don't try and silence me, I am giving sensible and measured advice to anyone who is interested in health rather than the ethical dimension to diet choices.

ReputationRep:
    Not a veggie, I love meat too much
    but a veg cuury is always nice, some kind of soup (i like to make leek and potato, parsnip and ginger, butternut squash), a nice, simple tomato pasta sauce (basically, brown onions, then add in some garlic and some chillies if you wish, then whack the chopped tomoatoes, maybe a bit of tomato puree and then season and add herbs like basil and oregano. Done!) or once I made these amazing potato skins, which has brocoli, wholegrain mustard and cheese mixed into the potato and then baked in the skins til the cheese melts. Mmmm, might make these again soon...

ReputationRep:
    Chilli Paneer!

http://www.tarladalal.com/ViewContri...?recipeid=2253

ReputationRep:
    Eating fish and its omega-3 fatty oils is very good for you and will prolong your life. Okinawans have amongst the longest life expectancies in the world owing to their healthy lifestyle and diet of fish, seaweed, soy, tofu, vegetables and rice. They have lower levels of most types of cancer and heart disease and usually live longer than everyone else.

If you want to be vegan or vegetarian for ethical reasons good for you, but I am just pointing out that if anyone was considering it for health reasons the nutritionally optimal diet for health and longevity would include fish.

You have just randomly attacked me for giving sound nutritional advice, and the reason is now obvious - you have a vegan agenda and don't like anyone being told that fish is good for you. If you don't want to eat fish don't, but don't try and silence me, I am giving sensible and measured advice to anyone who is interested in health rather than the ethical dimension to diet choices.
    It has nothing to do with my 'vegan agenda'. But thanks for the ad hom.
    It's to do with giving advice to someone on unsubstantiated premises.
    Furthermore just because they have the longest life span, it doesn't mean that eating fish is the best thing to do.
    We don't know what will cause the longest of our potential life span or if it changes from individual to individual.
    So goodbye circumstantial evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway OP - as well as Sag curries, I love dal of all kinds, Masala Dosa (essential), brinjal (Indian cooked aubergine/eggplant), Dum Aloo Kashmiri (vegetarian but not vegan), some of the Sri Lankan dishes with a coconut milk base. Sag is spinach, but spinach is great cooked in a variety of Western and Chinese styles. Chinese stir fried broccoli and pak choi and choy sum. There is a lot of amazing Dravidian, Jain and Sir Lankan veggie food.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.