Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    It has nothing to do with my 'vegan agenda'. But thanks for the ad hom.
    It's to do with giving advice to someone on unsubstantiated premises.
    Furthermore just because they have the longest life span, it doesn't mean that eating fish is the best thing to do.
    We don't know what will cause the longest of our potential life span or if it changes from individual to individual.
    So goodbye circumstantial evidence.
    Don't talk about nutrition if you have never read any of the literature, there are a great many studies showing the health benefits of fish.

You are a closed minded moron, and you attacked me first. There is no validity to the suggestion that one should not bring up a relevant point in a discussion because it might not be applicable to the particular case - otherwise there would be no real discussion.

ReputationRep:
    1. Tofu satay

2. Bruschetta

3. Butternut squash curry with brown rice

ReputationRep:
    Tortellini and ravioli, quorn escalopes and quesadillas.

Sadly none of those things are vegan. Actually, I'm trying to give up dairy (not necessarily eggs) so if anyone has any suggestions of staples for a dairy-free diet that'd be groovy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieLucenstiel)
    Tortellini and ravioli, quorn escalopes and quesadillas.

Sadly none of those things are vegan. Actually, I'm trying to give up dairy (not necessarily eggs) so if anyone has any suggestions of staples for a dairy-free diet that'd be groovy...
    Most recipes you can substitute milk/cream for soya milk/cream or tofu. You can buy vegan cheese as well. Basically just take your fave dishes and substitute the dairy for the non dairy alternative. I make a yummy creamy veg pie :yum:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatwhichiam)
    Another quick one is roasted red peppers stuffed with herby/flavoured cous cous/baby tomatoes and garlic.
    That has instantly made me hungry, sounds delicious

ReputationRep:
    A lot of meat dishes can easily be made veggie by substituting the meat for quorn. For instance, vegetable lasagne, chili con quorn (non carne), vegetable spaghetti bolognaise, vegetarian stirfry with tofu pieces etc.

In terms of vegetarian dishes I eat and like:

vegetable soup, mushroom risotto, vegetarian fritatta (like an omelette then put in the oven), cauliflower cheese, vegetable curry.

Stuffed vegetables can be really good. I do a dish where I open a red pepper, put feta, pesto and tomatoes in and put it in the oven for 20 mins. Also, stuffing a butternet squash with [cooked] rice, lentils, pulses etc and putting that in the oven.

Another one I like is bake an aubergine in the oven for 20 mins. In the meantime, cook some tomato sauce with onions and garlic etc in it. Then scoop the middle of the aubergine out, cut it into little bits, mix it in with the sauce, fill the aubergine with the sauce and put mozerella cheese on top then put it back in the oven for 10 mins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KTpie)
    Oo yum, how do you make that aubergine thing? i had something like that at pizza express and i've been wanting to make it since
    Well you have to slice the aubergines then salt and wash them to get out all of the bitterness. Fry them in batches in a pan with oil - they use up A LOT of oil - until soft and a lightish brown. Put a layer of them in a baking dish and pour on some passata/tomato sauce (my favourite is Loyd Grossman :cool: ) followed by some torn up mozzarella. Do more layers like this until you've used up all of the aubergine and on the top layer add a little tomato sauce, some veggie parmesan and basil leaves. Bake it for like 30 minutes at gas mark 6 (sorry, I have an Aga so I don't know what degrees that is)

It's SO good if you make it properly - it will actually become your favourite meal :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicealice)
    Well you have to slice the aubergines then salt and wash them to get out all of the bitterness. Fry them in batches in a pan with oil - they use up A LOT of oil - until soft and a lightish brown. Put a layer of them in a baking dish and pour on some passata/tomato sauce (my favourite is Loyd Grossman :cool: ) followed by some torn up mozzarella. Do more layers like this until you've used up all of the aubergine and on the top layer add a little tomato sauce, some veggie parmesan and basil leaves. Bake it for like 30 minutes at gas mark 6 (sorry, I have an Aga so I don't know what degrees that is)

It's SO good if you make it properly - it will actually become your favourite meal :yep:
    Thanks I'm so making that tomorrow, sounds mmmm

ReputationRep:
    Mmmmm.... This thread makes my mouth water.

Try this: http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-0139c92.html
    Vegtable Crumble.

It is different - but oh so yummy. Mmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    Butternut squash risotto.
    And.. anything with butternut squash really. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryold)
    I'd like to eat less meat and learn to cook some vegetarian food. What are your staple/favourite veggie dishes?

Thanks
    I will give you a recipe which i usually prepared.It is easy to cook.
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1726...248195,00.html
    Its really nice recipe i hope you like it.

ReputationRep:
    pumpkin risotto
    goats cheese ravioli
    masala dosa
    tofu palak and basmati
    gajar ka halwa

ReputationRep:
    Vegetable Lasagne! :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.