Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My problem with my new fitness/diet plan. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So far its been going good... an hour at the gym every morning... greater increase in water, and lots of fruit and vegetables and proteins. My problem is though.. I am literally craving naughty foods like coca cola, and chocolate and just general devil food so much it's driving me crazy. I know I would feel guilty afterwards, and will just lead to energy spikes, but it's driving me INSANE. I can't let myself near any of it or I know I will indulge a lot... help!

ReputationRep:
    You can only help yourself darling.

Do you live with parents still? If you live in halls or a house, then just don't buy crap food so it's not there to eat in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    diet coke AND special k cereal bars (the ones with chocolate on) are like 70-90 cals and are awesome to have when you're desperate for a chocolate bar!

oh yes they are awesome..

ReputationRep:
    You'll get over the cravings in a couple of weeks once your body adapts to burning fat for energy rather than sugar, just hang in there.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any useful advice - all my diet plans fail miserably (it's the emotional eating that gets me!!)

But I will say: Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    A tiny bit of chocolate won't harm your plan, especially if you're going to the gym everyday. Just have a mini chocolate bar (about 100 cals) every other day to ward off the cravings.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a diet at the moment called SureSlim... It's a lot like what you're describing... 2 fruits a day (one must be an apple), vegetables and lean protein. I have to weigh my food so I'm not overeating, and I can only have one starch with 18g of carbs a day. It's working really well (I've lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks), but I get intense cravings. All it is, is your body is detoxing and getting used to burning fat for the energy it needs.

DO NOT give in!! If you're desperate, I would say allow yourself one treat every 1-2 weeks, but don't go over the top .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rinascimento)
    I'm doing a diet at the moment called SureSlim... It's a lot like what you're describing... 2 fruits a day (one must be an apple), vegetables and lean protein. I have to weigh my food so I'm not overeating, and I can only have one starch with 18g of carbs a day. It's working really well (I've lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks),
    Losing 5lbs per week isn't particularly healthy or sustainable - it's just another fad diet.

but I get intense cravings.
    That's what you get when you starve yourself.

All it is, is your body is detoxing
    Detoxing/cleansing is a myth, it does not work and it has no scientific basis - it is just a means to milk money out of you.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend the Skinny Cow range, they do ice lollies which are about 90 calories and hot chocolate which is 40 calories and they are designed for people dieting. Personally, I find it really good because it stops my craving and prevents me binge eating crap (which has happened before) but isn't a lot of calories/fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Losing 5lbs per week isn't particularly healthy or sustainable - it's just another fad diet.

That's what you get when you starve yourself.

Detoxing/cleansing is a myth, it does not work and it has no scientific basis - it is just a means to milk money out of you.
    You lose more in the first 2-3 weeks and then slow down to 1-2 lbs per week, so it certainly is healthy.

Also, I'm not starved... I'm actually quite full after every meal and eat every 5 hours.

And I would say that when you're so used to eating chips, crisps, chocolate often and you suddenly stop, then that certainly is detoxing. It's just like a drug addict experiences detox and withdrawal.

Finally, they didn't milk money out of me as I didn't pay anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babythestarsshinebright)
    diet coke AND special k cereal bars (the ones with chocolate on) are like 70-90 cals and are awesome to have when you're desperate for a chocolate bar!
    did you know, that a coco pops bar actually has LESS calories than a special K bar?
    so your probs bettwe off having a coco pops bar instead
    crazy, isnt it?
    saying that, i cant remeber which has more sugar/fat/saturates..blah blah

ReputationRep:
    stupid girls giving stupid girls advice.

oye vey

ReputationRep:
    You lose more in the first 2-3 weeks and then slow down to 1-2 lbs per week, so it certainly is healthy.

Also, I'm not starved... I'm actually quite full after every meal and eat every 5 hours.

And I would say that when you're so used to eating chips, crisps, chocolate often and you suddenly stop, then that certainly is detoxing. It's just like a drug addict experiences detox and withdrawal.

Unless you are obese, 5lbs a week certainly is not healthy.

ReputationRep:
    ANYWAY.

Long as your calories are in check, the cravings are a natural response.

Your body is craving sugar, because it's used to high amounts.

So ye, you are suffering 'withdrawal' symptoms. It isn't just in your head, but a combo.

Good news is - they DO go away, but - takes few weeks.

You can have the ODD bad thing, like say once/week to begin with, and keep it small like A bar of chocolate or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)

if it's the first week, it's understandable, you can lose that from water/glycogen loss, etc ...

but ye long-term, 5lbs/week unless ur super fat aint gonna ahppen

ReputationRep:
    If you're losing that amount of weight that quickly it's very likely that you're not losing wholly fat (which is what you want). The rapid weight loss from what I can see is mainly due to a reduced carb intake, they require water to break them down, eliminate them from your diet and they give the illusion that you've lost large amounts of weight.

Your body is always breaking down toxins and excreting waste compounds, it doesn't stop or start when you eat healthy foods.

They're a business not a charity, while they operate a bit differently to most they're still out there to make a buck (ie; flogging lifestyle goods) on the back of their diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)

As I said, after 2-3 weeks it slows down to 1-2 lbs per week.

ReputationRep:
    What I find eases the transition from high to moderate/low carbs is sugar-free drinks, have them at first.. them cut down on them too.

Also - don't just low carb and high protein, you up the fats to replace the carb calories missing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    if it's the first week, it's understandable, you can lose that from water/glycogen loss, etc ...

but ye long-term, 5lbs/week unless ur super fat aint gonna ahppen
    If you're losing that much weight due to retaining less water, surely that just means you are dehydrating yourself? I'd expect more weight loss to start with, certainly, but the way she suggests that that's all part of the diet plan suggests to me that it's a crash diet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.