Turn on thread page Beta

worried about getting multiple sclerosis watch

I don't know if this is an over reaction but Im fairly sure I'l develop multiple sclerosis. Its known that one of the main causes is living in less sunny areas (which I do) and being exposed to less sun. For more or less the past 7 years Ive been nocturnal as in slept through most of the day and living/working at night. With it being winter Ive literally not been exposed to any sunlight for months because when im waking up its dusk and Im asleep before it comes light again. Its been the same really for the past 7 years though in summer I do get evening light when I do sports. Not sure how reliable this is but another risk factor is having cows milk in infancy..which I has since being born (well the formula type). I don't know why Im worried because having risk factors don't mean you'l get something but I just have a feeling that I will:confused: Its like I have every risk factor.

ReputationRep:
    The sunlight thing is one factor among several. Stop worrying about it. You have no symptoms. I'm also fairly unsure if that milk one is true. We've all had minor fits of paranoia (I had a cancer and AIDS one when I was a young idiot, easily influenced by specious information )

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd be more worried about being a hypercondriac...

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get this information from? Have a look at the Multiple Sclerosis Soc, who DON'T mention the risk factors you listed, so far as I can see, but write "It is not clear why, but it is possible that something in the environment, perhaps bacteria or a virus, plays a role. No single virus has been identified as contributing to MS, but some researchers think that a common childhood virus may act as a trigger by disturbing your immune system or indirectly setting off a process whereby your immune system attacks itself."

If you're getting no sun whatsoever then your risk is a Vitamin D deficiency. Get some Vit. D in you.

ReputationRep:
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    You have no symptoms. Any family history?
    tbh not something worth worrying about unless it actually happens worrying isn't going to stop anything.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.