Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there is a time frame that tutors are supposed to mark TMAs in?

I've got a really slow tutor on the course I'm doing and it's a bit annoying, the last one I had was brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    I think the general rule of thumb is two weeks from the cut-off date. Different tutors also have different styles of working, mine likes to send them back out in the order he received them, so if you sent it in first, you'll get it back first. Others like to send them all back in one batch. Tutors also have other jobs and real lives to cope with... how long have you been waiting for your last tma?

ReputationRep:
    The first one took three weeks, and this one's been two weeks now. I know it's not that long but she has just posted a message on the forum that she was going to do it today and tomorrow but it's her birthday this week so she's going away instead. So that's cheesed me off a bit.

ReputationRep:
    According to one of my tutors, they are allowed up to 21 days to mark a TMA. Many will mark TMAs quicker than that but as sallycow said, tutors have other jobs and lives to get on with so I wouldn't be surprised if they do use that 21 days.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with sallycow here, over the 9 courses so far the average has been about 2 weeks. At the end of the day, if they are taking a little longer to give you some thoughtful feedback then surely that's worth it?

ReputationRep:
    I had a problem with my tutor for my last course...constant excuses and unkept promises...at one point it was well over a month and I submitted the next TMA on the day it was due, but still hadn't received feedback for my previous TMA I'm on my fourth OU course now though, and my previous tutor was one of two bad tutors I've had.

I complained to my regional area after none of the other students in my TG had had any luck contacting our tutor, and days later found out she'd apparently been hospitalised and tried to make everyone feel bad! It wasn't just a one off though and she always took forever to return our TMAs!

The other bad tutor was similar in that he took FOREVER to return TMAs and a few times didn't even turn up for the tutorials, and blamed it on being "ill". He was another non contactable!

My first tutor was excellent though, as is my current tutor.

ReputationRep:
    I think I was spoiled by my last tutor he was extremely quick, I got those TMAs back after a couple of days, and they were postal ones not eTMAs like this one.

I know it's not really that long it just annoyed me a bit this morning, why tell us it's going to be longer because she's going away? The last one was promised on a certain date then came later and two tutorials have been changed to different dates (and there's only been two so far). It's only a level 1 course too and they are pretty short assignments. I am impatient though and I do appreciate they have other things to do as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimeelala)
    I had a problem with my tutor for my last course...constant excuses and unkept promises...at one point it was well over a month and I submitted the next TMA on the day it was due, but still hadn't received feedback for my previous TMA I'm on my fourth OU course now though, and my previous tutor was one of two bad tutors I've had.

I complained to my regional area after none of the other students in my TG had had any luck contacting our tutor, and days later found out she'd apparently been hospitalised and tried to make everyone feel bad! It wasn't just a one off though and she always took forever to return our TMAs!

The other bad tutor was similar in that he took FOREVER to return TMAs and a few times didn't even turn up for the tutorials, and blamed it on being "ill". He was another non contactable!

My first tutor was excellent though, as is my current tutor.
    what course were you doing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only one that thinks 2 weeks isn't really that long an amount of time? If I was an OU tutor I'd definitely maximise my use of the 3 week limit...especially if I wanted some resemblance of a life! Tutors are human too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNuts)
    The first one took three weeks, and this one's been two weeks now. I know it's not that long but she has just posted a message on the forum that she was going to do it today and tomorrow but it's her birthday this week so she's going away instead. So that's cheesed me off a bit.
    I understand youre point in a way because once the deadlines come and gone you kind of want youre work back as soon as, so you can see and learn from any misstakes so as to improve on the next tma. And I was just dying to know my score also!

But yeah I guess 2-3 weeks is allowed so you just have to put up with it. My tutor took around 5-7days so Id prob be annoyed if I had a slow tutor next lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarwe)
    what course were you doing?
    B324 and B120

ReputationRep:
    My tutor generally seems to take about 2 weeks and I wouldn't say his feedback is that comprehensive, though it's my first course so I'm not really sure what's 'normal'! Generally the summary feedback thing they send has 1 or 2 sentences and then in the TMA he just ticks and puts how well I've demonstrated the learning outcome and maybe a short comment. If it's not that well then he'll put the model answer in there. At the end he puts in a little table showing my marks against each learning outcome.

ReputationRep:
    I got my last one back via post within a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dg2009)
    I got my last one back via post within a week
    Likewise. Sent it on Wednesday by post and had it back marked by Tuesday. I was very impressed.

ReputationRep:
    That happened with all mine for my last course, it only took a couple of days after the due date to come back.

It's three weeks tomorrow since this one and still no-one has received theirs back in our tutor group. We have another one due on Friday, doesn't exactly give you a lot of time to take on board any comments. People from other groups have received theirs back, some the day after the due date. I think there should be a deadline for marking that is a certain time ahead of the next TMA date. I know they have other things to do but it's not like they are doing it for free is it?

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit frustrating, but 2 weeks is reasonable to me. Maybe even 3 weeks, but any longer than that would not be good. My last TMA deadline was 15th Jan, and I'm still waiting for my results. 2 weeks would be this Friday. Some people in other TGFs have already received their results back, and I'm dying to know mine (although I don't think I did too well) but like others have said, tutors have lives (and other jobs usually) too!

ReputationRep:
    That happened with all mine for my last course, it only took a couple of days after the due date to come back.

It's three weeks tomorrow since this one and still no-one has received theirs back in our tutor group. We have another one due on Friday, doesn't exactly give you a lot of time to take on board any comments. People from other groups have received theirs back, some the day after the due date. I think there should be a deadline for marking that is a certain time ahead of the next TMA date. I know they have other things to do but it's not like they are doing it for free is it?
    Have you tried contacting your tutor? I had the same problem on my last course. If you're getting no joy, then phone up your regional office, they're very helpful

ReputationRep:
    I haven't tried contacting her myself, people have left messages in the tutuor group forum and she hasn't bothered to answer those.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't tried contacting her myself, people have left messages in the tutuor group forum and she hasn't bothered to answer those.
    I would say pick the phone and call the tutor tonight. If no joy then contact your regional office tomorrow morning.

ReputationRep:
    Well she said family problems and promised it by Friday at the latest, and guess what? No results.
    Does anyone know if it's possible to request them to be marked by another tutor, or to change tutor groups? There are only two more left but I think this is taking the pee now.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.