Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Im currently undergoing the process of the choosing my AS Level courses, and I'm considering taking Maths, Further maths and economics for definite.

And I'm stuck choosing between Chemistry, Physics and Biology. I'm considering doing either something to do with maths/finance or medicine at university, and so i'm stuck between choosing chemistry and biology or chemistry and physics.

Do all medical universities require biology at AS level, or do they not mind if you have taken chemistry and another maths or science subject?

Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    For medicine it is safest if you have both chemistry and biology. Although sometimes you might get away with just chemistry, there is a lot of competition and most medical applicants will have chemistry and biology.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I would think that if you're set on medicine, you should study Biology for definite. If you're deciding on maths and finance, however, I think that they'd probably look favourably on physics, since it's largely maths orientated. However, everything you've chosen is a "strong" A-Level subject and if you think you can handle the workload, pick the subject you think will advantage you best.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, but is there a real advantage to taking biology to physics?

ReputationRep:
    For medicine, yeah. Since most will have both bio and chem, you're restricting yourself if you take only one, and greatly restricting yourself if you don't have either.

But for maths, they'd really be looking for your ability to think mathematically. For which physics is a great advantage.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd take Chemistry and Biology, so you have 5 subjects at AS. You obviously have a talent for Maths if you're taking Maths and FM, so it shouldn't be too much, and then you can always drop two AS's in your second year (or 1 of the AS's in the first year if it's too much).

ReputationRep:
    There's no advantage at all of biology over physics, do whichever you think you'll do best in.
    Chemistry is a definite for A-level but if you have 3 sciences or 2 sciences and maths you'll be fine.
    It's not like the biology you learn at A-level will b anywhere near the standard of what they'll teach you at uni

ReputationRep:
    I was originally going to choose based on my grades, but in my mocks i got the same for both biology and physics, which made my choice that extra bit harder. I enjoy both the subjects, but i have to try a bit harder in biology, because i find that physics is similar to maths, which i find a bit easier.

ReputationRep:
    go for physics then, people from my college say alot of physics a-level is just easy maths & theres alot of overlap between the courses

ReputationRep:
    Im considering it more now, but is there a advantage to doing medicine if i do biology, i dont mind working harder, but i want to so a course which will give the option of doing either finance or medicine.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Finance isn't really mathematically based, depending on the type of course you do. I do Accountancy, with a lot of friends who do AccFin, and the hardest maths we've done is GCSE standard. Seeing as you're doing Maths and FM, that should be enough.

So I say go for Chem & Bio.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, you don't need biology A-level to do medicine, check the uni websites you're thinking of applying to if you want proof. Physics would open all the same doors in both finance and medicine.

ReputationRep:
    If you're even considering medicine Biology and Chemistry really should be in there, you could hinder your chances if you only have one

ReputationRep:
    If you're considering medicine, do chemistry and biology to be safe. Physics may be better than Economics, in my opinion, if you are also considering maths.

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone else has said, chemistry and biology =)

ReputationRep:
    Just remember this, you haven't yet chosen whether you want to study something mathematical/ finance or medicine, so you have to think about which A-levels will restrict you...

I'm in the same situation, choosing between studying biological sciences or psychology - but I reminded myself that without psychology A-level I can get into both, but with psychology instead of biology/ chemistry I couldn't get into Biological sciences

1.CHEMISTRY is a certainty, not only is it highly mathematical but it is actually more nessecary than biology to study medicine, as you know.

2.Next I would suggest PHYSICS, which goes great with maths and is the bridge between maths and science - lots of overlapping content!

3.Also by taking physics, you needn't take further maths, assuming you take MATHS as your third AS option as you will now have 3 very numerical AS levels! Suitable for medicine & maths careers.

4. Finally, BIOLOGY, this secures that you could apply to practucally any medical course with these requirements, meaning that now you have 3 mathematical (physics, chemistry and maths itself) and 3 medical/ scientific (biology, chemistry and physics) A-levels.

Bear in mind that when you have to drop one in A2 you (like me) will have had to decide what your doing to give yourself the strongest application!

Good Luck :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niki_girl)
    Just remember this, you haven't yet chosen whether you want to study something mathematical/ finance or medicine, so you have to think about which A-levels will restrict you...

I'm in the same situation, choosing between studying biological sciences or psychology - but I reminded myself that without psychology A-level I can get into both, but with psychology instead of biology/ chemistry I couldn't get into Biological sciences

1.CHEMISTRY is a certainty, not only is it highly mathematical but it is actually more nessecary than biology to study medicine, as you know.

2.Next I would suggest PHYSICS, which goes great with maths and is the bridge between maths and science - lots of overlapping content!

3.Also by taking physics, you needn't take further maths, assuming you take MATHS as your third AS option as you will now have 3 very numerical AS levels! Suitable for medicine & maths careers.

4. Finally, BIOLOGY, this secures that you could apply to practucally any medical course with these requirements, meaning that now you have 3 mathematical (physics, chemistry and maths itself) and 3 medical/ scientific (biology, chemistry and physics) A-levels.

Bear in mind that when you have to drop one in A2 you (like me) will have had to decide what your doing to give yourself the strongest application!

Good Luck :yes:
    I agree those are very good choices, but if they were to apply to maths, Further Maths is HUGELY beneficial. It's a tricky choice, and I think the OP should try to get a better idea of their uni course before deciding.

ReputationRep:
    biology and economics.

fm and maths and econ are good enough to do economics at uni. You could do law aswell possibly with those three.

No point doing physics unless you are planning on studying it after a levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannylj)
    biology and economics.

fm and maths and econ are good enough to do economics at uni. You could do law aswell possibly with those three.

No point doing physics unless you are planning on studying it after a levels.
    What about chemistry? :p: That's vital for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    oops i i meant biology and chemistry

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.