Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fees and Funding for International Students Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is my first time using this forum. I needed a bit of advice and I thought other students could help me out?

I'm an overseas student in my 3rd year doing medicine. I have 3 more years to go in the course but I'm worried about how my parents and I are going to pay for the next few years. I know there's this stereotype that all international students are loaded, and I'm not going to dispute that because it's true for most. Unfortunately, with fees rising to £29,600 in my course next year, I'm getting worried that I may have to drop out after this year because my parents are having troubles paying these fees, especially since my dad has to retire soon.

I have already been to the funding office of my uni to ask if I could change my status from overseas to home status (which I assumed I could since I am a British citizen and will have lived here for 3 years when I start next year's course). They said I wouldn't be able to because I hadn't lived here for 3 years before the start of my course and it would be hard to prove that I wasn't in the UK just for study. However, I've heard that others have successfully changed status.

I'm also looking for any scholarships, but my country of residence before I came here don't offer any scholarships for medical students.

I won't be applicable for grant since my parents earn over the limit. Loans barely scrape the surface of the amount of money I need help with.

So after that very long explanation, my questions are there:

1) Have any of you successfully changed status from international to home during your course? How?

2) What are the best ways to get loans to pay off £29,600 a year? I will pay it off the rest of my life just as long as I get to finish this course!

3) Is it possible to transfer to another university for my clinical years just to get home status?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, since I've been stressing out about this for the last few months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overseasmedic)
    1) Have any of you successfully changed status from international to home during your course? How?
    I don't think this is possible. Reading has a page here that gives quite a clear explanation of the different categories you have to come under to be granted home status: http://www.reading.ac.uk/Study/fees/...efinition.aspx

You haven't lived in the UK for three years for purposes other than education, so you don't qualify. Home students get subsidised fees on the understanding that our parents have paid tax to contribute towards these subsidies.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that quick reply. I understand the conditions of home status but I was wondering if in special circumstances, it can be changed. My parents are returning to the UK next year when my dad retires.

My sister also managed to change her status from international to home during her course, but I don't know if this is possible in medicine.

Also, is it possible to get a grant if my parents have retired (considering they receive no more income)? Is it based on previous income or yearly income?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overseasmedic)
    I checked about doing this during my third year of university as well, but it wasn't possible. They clearly state that you need to satisfy the 3 year residency requirement at the time you start your course.

Am surprised your sister was able to change fee status mid-way through her course (assuming she was in the same situation as you are now). Was she starting a new course or something?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.