Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

For my chemistry coursework, I want to investigate different methods of aspirin synthesis and determine which is the most effective. So far I've had real trouble with actually finding any decent methods and the best I've come up with is using salicylic acid with ethanoic anhydride, and salicylic acid with ethanoyl chloride. Unfortunately, the second method involves using pyridine, which I've been told that I'm not allowed to use due to its adverse health effects. Could anyone on here either a.) suggest a method of synthesising aspirin from salicylic acid and ethanoyl chloride that doesn't involve using pyridine, or b.) suggest any other methods of synthesising aspirin that I could investigate. I've done about a million Google searches, but to no avail. If anybody has any ideas, links would be helpful, and I would be incredibly grateful, because this is doing my head in!

Thanks in advance for any replies

All I had to learn was how to convert salicylic acod toasbrin, which was treating it with ethanoic anhydride at 90 degrees.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.