Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I firm is it true all other colleges will hate me and think I'm a pretentious snob? People at Durham, what are your experiences of this?

Also, anyone else with offers thinking of firming Hatfield, Durham? I might for economics!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist1234)
    If I firm is it true all other colleges will hate me and think I'm a pretentious snob? People at Durham, what are your experiences of this?

Also, anyone else with offers thinking of firming Hatfield, Durham? I might for economics!

Thanks.
    Hey,

I'm applying this year and I know a couple of people that are applying to / firming Hatfield, and they are completely normal, not posh or pretentious or anything If people do turn out to have some strange prejudice about Hatfield, just lie and say you did an open application or something :p: Or just don't tell them what college you are at and drop it out later in conversation lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hatfield does indeed have a bit of a reputation for being the "Rah" college, but first impressions only last as long as it takes to get to know someone...

So as long as you don't go round wearing Jack Wills gilets and jogging bottoms, with back-combed hair and a pashmina (as per most people in Durham) you probably won't find yourself labeled as a pretentious snob.

If you're that worried about Hatfield, you can always ask for a transfer to another college (only before you accept the offer - it's nigh on impossible once you actually start Uni), that's what I did, and I never looked back!

ReputationRep:
    I know that 55% of Hatfielders have to share a room in their first year. Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for how they select roommates? And how they select who won't get a roommate!?

Also, I know that at one or two other colleges you are expected to change rooms, and therefore move all your stuff every term in first year - is this the case at Hatfield? Or can you leave everything in place during Christmas and Easter holidays? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone at Hatfield, she's lovely, not at all rah-ish. I realise that this doesn't mean there are no rah's in sight, but she's settled in and made loads of friends so I'm sure you won't have a problem. The thing with stereotypes is that most people realise that they are only generalisations. If you don't act like a rah, people won't classify you as one just on the basis of what college you go to, and if they do, they're not worth worrying about.

ReputationRep:
    I considered Hatfield and im not snobby at all. The 55% of room people sharing a room put me off.

Also, Castle has more of a reputation then Hatfield now.

ReputationRep:
    People are generally of the opinion that Hatfield girls are easy and the guys are rahs, but even if that's true, so what?
    Being a rah does not make you a bad person, or automatically horrible. I really wouldn't worry about it, you get rahs in every college, and 90% of them are lovely (just like 90% of non-rahs are lovely). I went to a community college, and I get on pretty well with the rahs in our college, they're not snobby at all.
    There will be people just like you who will also end up at Hatfield, so I really wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Yes everyone at Hatfield is a Jack Wills wearing rugby player/**** with a trust fund, a posh voice and a silly haircut. Also, if anyone ever finds out you are from Hatfield it is university regulations to throw them off Kingsgate bridge. Many Hatfielders either purchase another college's hoodie on the black market or never leave their rooms. At night, vigilante mobs patrol the streets looking out for Hatfielders to take to Loft and force them to stay there for a whole night (the worst punishment imaginable to anyone ever).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougieG)
    Yes everyone at Hatfield is a Jack Wills wearing rugby player/**** with a trust fund, a posh voice and a silly haircut. Also, if anyone ever finds out you are from Hatfield it is university regulations to throw them off Kingsgate bridge. Many Hatfielders either purchase another college's hoodie on the black market or never leave their rooms. At night, vigilante mobs patrol the streets looking out for Hatfielders to take to Loft and force them to stay there for a whole night (the worst punishment imaginable to anyone ever).
    What are the girls like at Cuths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THRASHx)
    Feminine I believe. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tivale)
    Feminine I believe. lol
    Good one...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THRASHx)
    Majestic pillars of virtue, obviously :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Go to Hatfield, it does have a bit of a reputation for being snobby and full of rahs and it does indeed seem to attract a lot of students who clearly come from very priviliged backgrounds, but the 'reputation' is nothing more than a bit of friendly banter and 'there are girls in Hatfield whose daddies don't own half of Hamnpshire'. I've met LOTS of really lovely people from Hatfield, and a few not so lovely people but you get that everywhere in life! At the end of the day there will be people from all walks of life in your year and you don't have to mix with the people you don't want to mix with. As for the comment about Castle having more of a reputation nowadays, I really don't think thats true and I can't think of a single person in Castle who would be classified as a rah!

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to firm Hatfield for next year...I'm also kind of worried about being hated...at least I'm not the only one!

ReputationRep:
    Hatfield does have a reputation for all these things but realy its all college banter, all the stuff about being hated is simply college rivalry and all in good fun, nothing to be worried about =D Hope u enjoy your time when u get here and i look forward to hating you LOL

ReputationRep:
    well if any of this is true i can't wait to sling about my broad geordie accent on monday's visit day and watch everyone shrink into their bodywarmers in horror.

on a more constructive note - i'm enormously unkeen about the prospect of sharing a room, not to be anti-social but i like my own space and wouldn't even share with my best friend. Anyone know how i can make sure i am in single accomodation next year?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i didn't apply to any of the bailey colleges due to the Rah sterotypes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Mildert and it is the stereotype that 'everyone hates Hatfield' and you will hear songs such as "who the **** are Hatfield College" and things, but it's all just banter and noone will seriously judge you for being from Hatfield. All the people I've met from Hatfield have been lovely and not rah-ish at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure I'm firming durham and Hatfield and I know exactly how you feel about being nervous about the reputation it seems to have.
    I live outside the UK and even though I'm english I've just never met a Rah. So apart from being rather curious, that also makes me concerned. I have one friend that's rather 'posh' but I'm not really sure what that even means - she is really lovely and I have no idea what the hype is about where people go to school, live, what their parents do- it doesn't matter!
    So personally I'm not concerned about the poshness-factor because people are nice or they aren't, end of.
    In respect to Hatfield's reputation, I spoke to friends that have been at Durham for a few years, not at hatfield, and they basically said (as someone's said above) that its just college banter and its fun to hate. We shouldn't be concerned about it. I'm actually planning to embrace it, I LOVE the college banter-ey-ness of Durham and the fact there's a song on youtube about hatfield just makes me laugh.

woo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist1234)

Thanks.
    Nobody at Durham Uni will think you're a pretentious snob.

Most people in Durham City will though.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.