Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone been caught by Average Speed Cameras? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouz)
    That is correct as far as I am aware till this date, though there has been talk of the manufacturers sorting the problem out. So be vigilant.

I don't really tend to worry but other people don't find it as easy to avoid points.
    It was only the first model which only worked in 1 lane. Any cameras now - or at least any new ones - are certified for multi-lane use.

However, I dont know any whos ever been caught, and ive never been caught despite a few times where I thought it might have been close. Also, what happens at night, some of them have IR cameras on them, but every once in a while you have bloody great lights illuminating the road just before a camera. I presumed that was for reading plates and faces, but not sure.

ReputationRep:
    I think unless you don't know they are there it's difficult to get caught by one. Even if yours speed slips over by few mph you just slow down and it balances out and even so I'm pretty sure they all give atleast ten percent leniency. Also from what I've heard, they only send fines to the top 10% speeds of the people caught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    It was only the first model which only worked in 1 lane. Any cameras now - or at least any new ones - are certified for multi-lane use.

However, I dont know any whos ever been caught, and ive never been caught despite a few times where I thought it might have been close. Also, what happens at night, some of them have IR cameras on them, but every once in a while you have bloody great lights illuminating the road just before a camera. I presumed that was for reading plates and faces, but not sure.
    Yeah, another person told me if you can see the red light it means the camera is active/working, if not then it isn't. I've never gave any weight to this though, I just use my lane switching method. I don't speed all the time on purpose or anything, I still have a habit of doing it and I think its good practice and you avoid any PCNs as a bonus

ReputationRep:
    I hate the bloody things. Never been caught by them, but that's because they are essentially the one thing, short of a police car, that makes me take any account whatsoever of the speed limit on a major road.

Oh, no, there's something else: around Birmingham, when I'm driving through, there are speed camera signs and cameras rigged up at every single overhanging sign on the motorway. Potentially, they could all be an operational speed camera. That said, I've seen other people race right through them - I've never had the 'nads for that myself though.

ReputationRep:
    yes , sadly , caught on A77 on way to ayr , took about a week for the ticket to come thru , speed limit 50 , average speed 58 , 3 points and a £80 fine grrrrr

ReputationRep:
    Never been caught on them and my commute is through the M1 widening and they're set at 50mph. My new car has got a setting where it'll 'bong' at you if you go over the speed you set so I don't have to constantly look at the speedo now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I hate the bloody things. Never been caught by them, but that's because they are essentially the one thing, short of a police car, that makes me take any account whatsoever of the speed limit on a major road.

Oh, no, there's something else: around Birmingham, when I'm driving through, there are speed camera signs and cameras rigged up at every single overhanging sign on the motorway. Potentially, they could all be an operational speed camera. That said, I've seen other people race right through them - I've never had the 'nads for that myself though.
    Haha Birmingham's got nothing on the M25 - my home to uni drive SE London to Brum is ruined by cameras.
    Every single overhead sign on the stretch of M25 has camera markings. Going from SE to M40 on M25 I reckon you go over easily 30> sets of road camera markings. At least the M40's pretty much camera free!

ReputationRep:
    Well, you are a sad individual then. Not for staying below the speed limit, but hoping others get caught.

Also, 45 on the speedo isn't even over the limit you fool. 45 on the meter, is approximately 38/39MPH (110% + 4KMH/~2MPH).
    Well the way I see it, I'm doing under the speed limit. They are taking a chance for a few minutes of time saved from their journey on the basis that their speedo is unreliable. The speedometers aren't allowed to read a speed less than you're actually doing, but they can read more than you're doing. I'm aware of this and I wouldn't risk points on my license based on an inaccurate device. If your instruments are telling you that your speed is greater than 40mph in a 40mph limit and you don't act on that, then you're the fool, not me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    I drive through the A80 almost daily where it's a 40 limit with average speed cameras. I tend to sit at about 35-38mph, but I see so many people in the right hand lane going past at about 45! I notice this because some of them have the big digital speedos. I hope they all get caught to be honest.
    How stupid.. why are you doing 35-38 when the limit is 40? That's just antisocial. The reason people are doing '45' is probably because they know that their speedometers over read and hence are only actually doing 40.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    How stupid.. why are you doing 35-38 when the limit is 40? That's just antisocial. The reason people are doing '45' is probably because they know that their speedometers over read and hence are only actually doing 40.
    It's a dual carriageway you ass.

If a few mph along a short stretch is really going to make them late, they should have left later. It's not my job to get people to work on time.

ReputationRep:
    Well the way I see it, I'm doing under the speed limit. They are taking a chance for a few minutes of time saved from their journey on the basis that their speedo is unreliable. The speedometers aren't allowed to read a speed less than you're actually doing, but they can read more than you're doing. I'm aware of this and I wouldn't risk points on my license based on an inaccurate device. If your instruments are telling you that your speed is greater than 40mph in a 40mph limit and you don't act on that, then you're the fool, not me.
    Well ,what if you know the difference between the actual speed + the meter speed?

And it wasn't the over-reading element that made me reply to your post, rather the fact you hope people get caught. Thats what in my eyes, makes you sad individual.

Maybe, they should make it an offence to drive below the speed limit without good reason, would be fun. (Joke, incase people don't realise).

ReputationRep:
    I use my sat nav to tell me how fast im going. Much more accurate and Ive never been caught. My speedo reads between 53 and about 55 when my sat nav says exactly 50.

Oh, and there are minimum speed limits on motorways.

ReputationRep:
    Well ,what if you know the difference between the actual speed + the meter speed?

And it wasn't the over-reading element that made me reply to your post, rather the fact you hope people get caught. Thats what in my eyes, makes you sad individual.

Maybe, they should make it an offence to drive below the speed limit without good reason, would be fun. (Joke, incase people don't realise).
    If they are going faster than the legal maximum and the speedometer is clearly saying that, regardless of how inaccurate it is, then they deserve it.

And how can you know with any certainty how inaccurate your speedometer is? Don't say sat nav because they are woefully inaccurate.

ReputationRep:
    I use my sat nav to tell me how fast im going. Much more accurate and Ive never been caught. My speedo reads between 53 and about 55 when my sat nav says exactly 50.

Oh, and there are minimum speed limits on motorways.
    A80. It isn't a motorway, it's a dual carriageway that will be a motorway in 2011, but not yet. I do about 55-60 on the motorway anyway. The whole point of dual carriageway/motorways is so that overtaking is safe and easy. I don't see why I should drive uneconomically when the oportunities are available for an overtake on a dual carriageway/motorway. The number of people that don't look far enough ahead and get stuck behind me is incredible, but that's their own fault. The road is open enough that they can see me from a huge distance back, and realise that they're gaining on me. So they could have prepared to overtake. They don't of course, they just tailgate me.

ReputationRep:
    A80. It isn't a motorway, it's a dual carriageway that will be a motorway in 2011, but not yet. I do about 55-60 on the motorway anyway. The whole point of dual carriageway/motorways is so that overtaking is safe and easy. I don't see why I should drive uneconomically when the oportunities are available for an overtake on a dual carriageway/motorway. The number of people that don't look far enough ahead and get stuck behind me is incredible, but that's their own fault. The road is open enough that they can see me from a huge distance back, and realise that they're gaining on me. So they could have prepared to overtake. They don't of course, they just tailgate me.
    Where did I say anything about what road I was on about? Was on about general driving.

And if your doing less than lorries on the motorway you are one of the most hated drivers out there. At least do enough so your not forcing the lorries out into the middle lane! It just creates problems for everyone, because Dorris in her Micra doing 65 then has to use the outside lane, and people doing 70 and upwards get well pissed off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    lol good luck with that. people can and do get ticketted for doing 5mph over the limit, so making assumptions is a tricky game to play.. Don't see how 38 is 'antisocial'. it's a limit, not a requirement.

ReputationRep:
    Where did I say anything about what road I was on about? Was on about general driving. My bad.

And if your doing less than lorries on the motorway you are one of the most hated drivers out there. At least do enough so your not forcing the lorries out into the middle lane! It just creates problems for everyone, because Dorris in her Micra doing 65 then has to use the outside lane, and people doing 70 and upwards get well pissed off!
    I don't mind pissing them off. I agree the limits on motorways could be increased but they're breaking the speed limit so I don't give a crap about what they think.

I haven't been overtaken on a motorway by a lorry, but I have on the 40 stretch on the A80. I'm a very courteous driver, if I'm on an uphill when the go for the overtake when I'm doing just under the limit, I ease off, let them pass and flash them back in. Occaisionally I even get a thank you from them. Just because I'm not doing the speed limit, doesn't mean I'm unaware of my surroundings. Like I say, there shouldn't be a problem if there's someone doing less than the limit on a two lane road. They should certainly make an effort to get to a reasonable speed, but I don't know if ever driven the new model micras - I love mine, but they aren't motorway cars. They're quite noisy at high speeds and you wouldn't like to be driving for any time at 70mph in them.

At any rate, the maximum speed for lorries on dual carriageways is 50 and 60 on motorways. So my 55-60 shouldn't bother them.

ReputationRep:
    At any rate, the maximum speed for lorries on dual carriageways is 50 and 60 on motorways. So my 55-60 shouldn't bother them.
    Except that lorries are limited to 56mph. So it will bother them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamski91)
    Except that lorries are limited to 56mph. So it will bother them.
    If that's true why will going 1mph under their maximum bother them? I very much doubt it will affect their journey time significantly.

To highlight this a couple of calculations based on a journey of 500 miles.

Assuming they're going to average their maximum without me and 55 without. (A DIFFERENCE OF 1MPH)

Journey time without me = 500/56 = 8.93 hours (8 hours, 55 minutes, 47 seconds)

Journey time with me = 500/55 = 9.09 hours (9 hours, 5 minutes, 23 seconds)

So about 10 minutes of a difference, bearing in mind that they'll be stuck behind me the whole trip, which won't happen. That 1mph has made a huge difference, hasn't it?

I've said before that I'm a considerate driver and aware of my surroundings and if they went for the overtake, I would adjust my speed to allow them to carry out the overtake quickly.

ReputationRep:
    If that's true why will going 1mph under their maximum bother them? I very much doubt it will affect their journey time significantly.

To highlight this a couple of calculations based on a journey of 500 miles.

Assuming they're going to average their maximum without me and 55 without. (A DIFFERENCE OF 1MPH)

Journey time without me = 500/56 = 8.93 hours (8 hours, 55 minutes, 47 seconds)

Journey time with me = 500/55 = 9.09 hours (9 hours, 5 minutes, 23 seconds)

So about 10 minutes of a difference, bearing in mind that they'll be stuck behind me the whole trip, which won't happen. That 1mph has made a huge difference, hasn't it?

I've said before that I'm a considerate driver and aware of my surroundings and if they went for the overtake, I would adjust my speed to allow them to carry out the overtake quickly.
    Dude, have you ever been on the motorway?! Lorries always overtake other lorries if the one in front is doing 1mph slower than they are, it causes hugh tailbacks and massive problems, but they still do it!

1mph when they are on a strict timetable and when you get bonus money for being early/on time is definitely significant.

I don't think you should go faster than you want to, but to argue that a lorry driver won't overtake because you are doing 55mph and he is doing 56mph and he will slow down is never going to happen! They are on a strict timetable, they don't slow down if they can help it, even by 1mph.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.