Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone been caught by Average Speed Cameras? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Dude, have you ever been on the motorway?! Lorries always overtake other lorries if the one in front is doing 1mph slower than they are, it causes hugh tailbacks and massive problems, but they still do it!

1mph when they are on a strict timetable and when you get bonus money for being early/on time is definitely significant.

I don't think you should go faster than you want to, but to argue that a lorry driver won't overtake because you are doing 55mph and he is doing 56mph and he will slow down is never going to happen! They are on a strict timetable, they don't slow down if they can help it, even by 1mph.
    I'm aware they're on a strict timetable, but... you know what I'm just gonna copy and paste from my last post which you quoted but didn't really read.

I've said before that I'm a considerate driver and aware of my surroundings and if they went for the overtake, I would adjust my speed to allow them to carry out the overtake quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    I'm aware they're on a strict timetable, but... you know what I'm just gonna copy and paste from my last post which you quoted but didn't really read.

I've said before that I'm a considerate driver and aware of my surroundings and if they went for the overtake, I would adjust my speed to allow them to carry out the overtake quickly.
    i read that, and that is good. But you were trying to argue that they wouldn't overtake you anyway, which was quite obviously not true if you have to adjust your speed for them to overtake safely.

Not that I think that is necessary when other lorries don't, indeed, I think slowing down is more dangerous, as you say you only have a micra, even at 1mph overtaking speed it is not going to take long to overtake you. By slowing down, traffic behind you than has to compensate. I always think it is better just to cruise.

But whatever, I really don't care much for your holier than thou attitude to driving.

ReputationRep:
    If they are going faster than the legal maximum and the speedometer is clearly saying that, regardless of how inaccurate it is, then they deserve it.

And how can you know with any certainty how inaccurate your speedometer is? Don't say sat nav because they are woefully inaccurate.
    how did you work that one out? It is mathematically calculated, it is much more accurate than a mechanical (read wear) speedo!

GPS is always more accurate than any mechanical device. Even on cheap sets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    i read that, and that is good. But you were trying to argue that they wouldn't overtake you anyway, which was quite obviously not true if you have to adjust your speed for them to overtake safely.

Not that I think that is necessary when other lorries don't, indeed, I think slowing down is more dangerous, as you say you only have a micra, even at 1mph overtaking speed it is not going to take long to overtake you. By slowing down, traffic behind you than has to compensate. I always think it is better just to cruise.

But whatever, I really don't care much for your holier than thou attitude to driving.
    Note the "would". It's hypothetical. The lorry is the traffic behind me, so I wouldn't be holding anyone up. I have to say that that 10 minutes difference is wrong, after all, one of us would have to stop at a service station long before 9 hours. If you are aware of your surroundings anyway, you should be able to accomodate an overtaking vehicle safely.

I don't have a holier than thou attitude, but there would you seriously go through a 40mph average speed camera zone with the speedo reading 45mph? I sure as hell wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    how did you work that one out? It is mathematically calculated, it is much more accurate than a mechanical (read wear) speedo!

GPS is always more accurate than any mechanical device. Even on cheap sets.
    I'm sure we've been here before. Let's not do it again

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure we've been here before. Let's not do it again
    Then don't make silly claims.

ReputationRep:
    Note the "would". It's hypothetical. The lorry is the traffic behind me, so I wouldn't be holding anyone up. I have to say that that 10 minutes difference is wrong, after all, one of us would have to stop at a service station long before 9 hours. If you are aware of your surroundings anyway, you should be able to accomodate an overtaking vehicle safely.

I don't have a holier than thou attitude, but there would you seriously go through a 40mph average speed camera zone with the speedo reading 45mph? I sure as hell wouldn't.
    Well I can sense that attitude in this thread even if you don't recognise it yourself.

I would go through at 40mph according to the Sat Nav. This is usally around 44mph on the speedo and I have never been caught *touch wood!* But I actually do 40mph because I am on cruise control, the speed does not move a bit during that time.

I honestly think, that although you being courteous is nice to see in drivers, cruising on a motorway is better for your fuel economy and IMO it is safer because you are not doing anything unexpected. But meh, you are driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Well I can sense that attitude in this thread even if you don't recognise it yourself.

I would go through at 40mph according to the Sat Nav. This is usally around 44mph on the speedo and I have never been caught *touch wood!* But I actually do 40mph because I am on cruise control, the speed does not move a bit during that time.

I honestly think, that although you being courteous is nice to see in drivers, cruising on a motorway is better for your fuel economy and IMO it is safer because you are not doing anything unexpected. But meh, you are driving.
    Agree to disagree on the attidude I guess.

A couple of minutes spent googling suggests that the accuracy of the speed given on the sat nav is dependent on the signal quality. So I'd not take that risk.

I'm not saying that I slow down by braking, heavily or otherwise, I'm talking about easying off the throttle, once the trailer clears my front bumper flash the headlights and then the lorry moves back in. I then adjust my speed to create a decent gap between my car and the lorry. I drive predictably and economically. I would only slow down if it was a long vehicle going for the overtake, and even then just easing off the gas. This hasn't happened to me on a motorway, but on the 40 stretch of dual carriageway it does.

I know the principles of safe and economical driving (getting 50+ mpg from a 1.2 petrol makes me very proud when I fill it up).

Trust me, my car is my pride and joy, so I wouldn't do anything to endanger myself, the car or other road users.

ReputationRep:
    Agree to disagree on the attidude I guess.

A couple of minutes spent googling suggests that the accuracy of the speed given on the sat nav is dependent on the signal quality. So I'd not take that risk.

I'm not saying that I slow down by braking, heavily or otherwise, I'm talking about easying off the throttle, once the trailer clears my front bumper flash the headlights and then the lorry moves back in. I then adjust my speed to create a decent gap between my car and the lorry. I drive predictably and economically. I would only slow down if it was a long vehicle going for the overtake, and even then just easing off the gas. This hasn't happened to me on a motorway, but on the 40 stretch of dual carriageway it does.

I know the principles of safe and economical driving (getting 50+ mpg from a 1.2 petrol makes me very proud when I fill it up).

Trust me, my car is my pride and joy, so I wouldn't do anything to endanger myself, the car or other road users.
    I know quite a lot about GPS, I have to, it is my job and it is important for me to know how it works and how accurate it is. As long as you have at least 5 satellites, which you will unless you are under a bridge or in a tunnel, it is going to be accurate to a much higher degree than a speedo or any mechanical device.

Ok.

ReputationRep:
    i have a friend who was caught by an average speed camera first time and got 3 points on her license!
    its not really worth the risk, they're there for a reason and its not much of a hardship cruising along at 50 although it is frustrating watching people whizz by and i also hope they are caught.

grr, like the other day there was an accident on the motorway and the signs were flashing saying the slow lane was shut due to the accident, we were all stationary and some idiot is comfortably cruising up the slow lane literally to the point of the accident, and then expects to be let in!! errr no!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polly1101)
    i have a friend who was caught by an average speed camera first time and got 3 points on her license!
    its not really worth the risk, they're there for a reason and its not much of a hardship cruising along at 50 although it is frustrating watching people whizz by and i also hope they are caught.

grr, like the other day there was an accident on the motorway and the signs were flashing saying the slow lane was shut due to the accident, we were all stationary and some idiot is comfortably cruising up the slow lane literally to the point of the accident, and then expects to be let in!! errr no!!
    I would've let him in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    lol good luck with that. people can and do get ticketted for doing 5mph over the limit, so making assumptions is a tricky game to play.. Don't see how 38 is 'antisocial'. it's a limit, not a requirement.
    There's no benefit of going 5mph under the speed limit when it's a 40 limit, it just slows traffic flow. The whole point of average speed limited sections of road is generally that when traffic is all moving at the same speed it flows much better. To criticise people for doing the specified speed in such areas is ridiculous. Also, you can't get ticketed based on what your speedometer says.... I know that my speedometer over reads by about 5mph at 70, so there's no risk involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    There's no benefit of going 5mph under the speed limit when it's a 40 limit, it just slows traffic flow. The whole point of average speed limited sections of road is generally that when traffic is all moving at the same speed it flows much better. To criticise people for doing the specified speed in such areas is ridiculous. Also, you can't get ticketed based on what your speedometer says.... I know that my speedometer over reads by about 5mph at 70, so there's no risk involved.
    The whole point of the dual carriageway is to improve traffic flow by allowing faster traffic to overtake safely.

I'd love to be able to risk getting caught, but really 5mph under the limit isn't anti-social. The difference in overall journey time is minimal. The opportunity to overtake is there.

Personally, I like to go through speed cameras 5mph under the speed limit, just for my own peace of mind. I could do with my insurance going down and points on my license aren't really going to help me do that.

Of course let's not mention the fact that traffic slows down considerably on approach to joining slips since the roadworks have left them so short it's a very awkward give way junction. If they were really interested in getting traffic moving more smoothly, they'd do something about that.

The cameras were installed as a way to make money, it was a 40 limit for months and people sped on that road. I personally didn't, which I'm sure is in some demented way wrong because I'm obstructing the flow of traffic. I was half expecting them to get the police out onto one of the bridges overlooking it and catching them all that way. They would have made a fortune! The traffic flow hasn't improved on the road as a result of the speed cameras, but I'm happier doing 35 or so when other traffic is doing 40-45 as opposed to doing 40 when other traffic is doing 60+

ReputationRep:
    thanks to whoever neg repped me for saying that i hope people who break the law get caught....jees, do you want murderers to walk free too? someone driving too fast may kill someone, if they get caught they may learn their lesson and reduce their speed and therefore the chance of killing someone!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks to whoever neg repped me for saying that i hope people who break the law get caught....jees, do you want murderers to walk free too? someone driving too fast may kill someone, if they get caught they may learn their lesson and reduce their speed and therefore the chance of killing someone!!
    +ve rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    +ve rep.
    glad some people have some sense :yes:

ReputationRep:
    glad some people have some sense :yes:
    Well, I think some speed limits in places are ridiculously low and speed camera's are put up simply to catch people out. However, I can also see the other side of the coin where you are coming from and I don't think you should have ever got neg repped for stating your valid opinion.

So I hope my pos rep compensated for it.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of the dual carriageway is to improve traffic flow by allowing faster traffic to overtake safely.

I'd love to be able to risk getting caught, but really 5mph under the limit isn't anti-social. The difference in overall journey time is minimal. The opportunity to overtake is there.

Personally, I like to go through speed cameras 5mph under the speed limit, just for my own peace of mind. I could do with my insurance going down and points on my license aren't really going to help me do that.

Of course let's not mention the fact that traffic slows down considerably on approach to joining slips since the roadworks have left them so short it's a very awkward give way junction. If they were really interested in getting traffic moving more smoothly, they'd do something about that.

The cameras were installed as a way to make money, it was a 40 limit for months and people sped on that road. I personally didn't, which I'm sure is in some demented way wrong because I'm obstructing the flow of traffic. I was half expecting them to get the police out onto one of the bridges overlooking it and catching them all that way. They would have made a fortune! The traffic flow hasn't improved on the road as a result of the speed cameras, but I'm happier doing 35 or so when other traffic is doing 40-45 as opposed to doing 40 when other traffic is doing 60+
    This simply isn't true; since drivers are instructed to 'stay in lane' you always get people doing 5mph under in both lanes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    This simply isn't true; since drivers are instructed to 'stay in lane' you always get people doing 5mph under in both lanes.
    I'm sorry, are you familiar with the dual carriageway I'm talking about?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, are you familiar with the dual carriageway I'm talking about?
    I know that it has two lanes and average speed cameras... :dontknow:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.