Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone been caught by Average Speed Cameras? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    I know that it has two lanes and average speed cameras... :dontknow:
    So why can't you overtake when there is an overtaking lane?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    So why can't you overtake when there is an overtaking lane?
    Because someone else is going at the same speed as the inside lane.

Wild thought I know. But you know, average speed check means everyone goes the same speed, which usually means lower than the speed limit as people are paranoid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Because someone else is going at the same speed as the inside lane.

Wild thought I know. But you know, average speed check means everyone goes the same speed, which usually means lower than the speed limit as people are paranoid...
    I've not come across anyone doing under the speed limit in the right hand lane and I drive it every day.

I'm one of those paranoid people in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    I've not come across anyone doing under the speed limit in the right hand lane and I drive it every day.

I'm one of those paranoid people in all honesty.
    Happens all the time in most average speed zones, people doing 45 in a 50. Particularly on the M6 and M40...and in fact the A34, really annoying as they create a rolling road block.

If everyone did 50, or whatever the proper speed limit was, then the traffic would flow so much better as you would not have people changing lanes which causes other people to slow down behind. Domino effect means that traffic builds. The whole point of a 50 limit is that it keeps traffic flowing, people doing less and forcing people to overtake just ruins this completely.

Hence the Get In Lane and Keep In Lane signs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Happens all the time in most average speed zones, people doing 45 in a 50. Particularly on the M6 and M40...and in fact the A34, really annoying as they create a rolling road block.

If everyone did 50, or whatever the proper speed limit was, then the traffic would flow so much better as you would not have people changing lanes which causes other people to slow down behind. Domino effect means that traffic builds. The whole point of a 50 limit is that it keeps traffic flowing, people doing less and forcing people to overtake just ruins this completely.

Hence the Get In Lane and Keep In Lane signs...
    There aren't any signs on the A80 anyways, but if you put speed cameras on a road, there are going to be people who value their clean license, and play it safe and those who don't give a damn and don't.

The point of the cameras as far as I can see is for money and to reduce speed, not improve flow.

ReputationRep:
    There aren't any signs on the A80 anyways, but if you put speed cameras on a road, there are going to be people who value their clean license, and play it safe and those who don't give a damn and don't.

The point of the cameras as far as I can see is for money and to reduce speed, not improve flow.
    Well, in average speed zones on motorways and A roads it is to protect the 'workforce' and ensure their safety as well as improve flow. I have no problem with this. It is quite well known that the best flow speed for a motorway is 56mph, not 80mph. I don't know how they work it out, but a motorway flows best at 56mph and below, hence the speed limit of 50mph.

If you went at 50mph through any speed camera set at 50mph you will have no problem. I have been driving 5 years now and *touch wood* I have a clean license and drive through cameras at the speed limit.

You don't need to go ridiculously slow through cameras, indeed at 50mph, with a 10% rule at least, you would have to be doing 55mph according to a sat nav, on your speedo that is close to 60mph! In reality, it is more likely 57mph so over 60mph to actually get caught.

You have to be trying to get caught by a speed camera and for that reason, they are definitely not money grabbing.

Except of course 30mph ones on dual carriageways in the middle of no where...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Well, in average speed zones on motorways and A roads it is to protect the 'workforce' and ensure their safety as well as improve flow. I have no problem with this. It is quite well known that the best flow speed for a motorway is 56mph, not 80mph. I don't know how they work it out, but a motorway flows best at 56mph and below, hence the speed limit of 50mph.
    Except 70% of the time there's no bloody workforce there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamski91)
    Except 70% of the time there's no bloody workforce there.
    Only 70% I would say more like 99% of the time! And when they are there, they are drinking tea. Still, don't want to kill any of them for going too fast...

ReputationRep:
    If you got caught by an average speed camera you wouldn't know until your fine and NIP comes through the door, anyone caught goes straight through the DVLA so speed through them and your knackered unlike speed cameras which sometimes flash but don't always even have any film in them lol. The Police have to prosecute you within 14 days after the incident so your fine after that.

ReputationRep:
    Well i drove from Bath home, 50 average cameras all the way, and honestly i stuck at 48-50 all the way, i dont see the point in chancing a fine and points when its totally unnecessary. And the most dangerous thing is people thinking its ok to do 70 down the outside lane.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.