The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Blátönn
So you actually have to do a degree to become one now? Insane . . . anyone who ever votes Labour again should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Its not Labours fault.. It is the Department for Healths. But yes its insane.
You've got till the 22nd Jan to get your skates on!
Reply 22
JakeM
Hahaha! Gotta have a sense of humour :wink: Labour supporters don't have to be all boring :P. I would put it on my election leaflets!

Your right, it was stupid and I am lucky! I am still debating whether to apply this year anyway as the course is so difficult to get onto!

Im not lazy just been thinking about it! Then when I missed the deadline I just was like :s-smilie: .

Right that is great, thank you very much! :smile:

You are right, and god damn I wish it was still apprenticed (as it used to be, not as such apprenticed).

If you were sad about missing the deadline then you will be sad if you miss it "again".

You should just apply and hope for the best. You have nothing to lose!
Reply 23
The application deadline was only pushed forward for people whose college or whatever was shut during the snow. So if your college didn't close, the deadline would still have been the same.
Reply 24
carly_l
The application deadline was only pushed forward for people whose college or whatever was shut during the snow. So if your college didn't close, the deadline would still have been the same.

:lies:

No, it's for everyone
Reply 25
Really? We were told by head of college that it was only for those who had their colleges shut so they would have been unable to send it in. Sorry if I was wrong, but I was just passing on the information we all got told.
carly_l
Really? We were told by head of college that it was only for those who had their colleges shut so they would have been unable to send it in. Sorry if I was wrong, but I was just passing on the information we all got told.

It's for everyone. But people should probably have it sent off before Friday incase there's any problems :smile:
Reply 27
blueshoes123
It's for everyone. But people should probably have it sent off before Friday incase there's any problems :smile:

It's for everyone in the UK.
International students had to send it in by the 15th.

So we might be the first to get replies (still waiting for Edinburgh).
Reply 28
Some of u guys r talking rubbish...You CAN apply to be a paramedic directly through the NHS, you don't HAVE to go to uni!...If u reeli want to be a paramedic, u shud do your research instead of writing crap about Labour n other stuff...
Reply 29
Haze_89
Some of u guys r talking rubbish...You CAN apply to be a paramedic directly through the NHS, you don't HAVE to go to uni!...If u reeli want to be a paramedic, u shud do your research instead of writing crap about Labour n other stuff...

Yes, I am fully aware of the NHS route. But I think you need to do your research as you still go to University either way... just on the NHS Route you do more hands on work (Still university though).

So don't come here ************ telling me what not to talk about on a forum.

You just got owned kthnx.
Blátönn
I didn't ask how competitive it was; I asked why would you need a degree in it? Same with nursing; it should be apprenticed. Degrees should be for academic subjects only.

Paramedics have to know a lot about the human body, how it works, pathophysiology etc. A degree is a good way of doing this. Most courses are foundation degrees (designed for vocational subjects), but there are BSc degrees (these have an element of research in them). All the courses have at least 1500 hours of practice placements in them, and 1500 hours of theory. In my opinion the subject needs to be degree based due to the sheer amount of stuff they need to know (they are experts on pre hospital care after all, it's not just pick someone up and shift them to hospital now, there is a lot of treatment that can be done to stabailise someone before transport to hospital, or even to prevent transport to hospital).

Edit: JakeM, which unis are you applying for?
Reply 31
chriscpritchard
Edit: JakeM, which unis are you applying for?

Hi Chris,

Well my home town ones first LJMU and Edge Hill and then UCLAN.

But im also going to apply for most trusts Student Paramedics :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending