Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    So you actually have to do a degree to become one now? Insane . . . anyone who ever votes Labour again should be hung, drawn and quartered.
    Its not Labours fault.. It is the Department for Healths. But yes its insane.

ReputationRep:
    You've got till the 22nd Jan to get your skates on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeM)
    Hahaha! Gotta have a sense of humour Labour supporters don't have to be all boring :P. I would put it on my election leaflets!

Your right, it was stupid and I am lucky! I am still debating whether to apply this year anyway as the course is so difficult to get onto!

Im not lazy just been thinking about it! Then when I missed the deadline I just was like .

Right that is great, thank you very much!

You are right, and god damn I wish it was still apprenticed (as it used to be, not as such apprenticed).
    If you were sad about missing the deadline then you will be sad if you miss it "again".

You should just apply and hope for the best. You have nothing to lose!

ReputationRep:
    The application deadline was only pushed forward for people whose college or whatever was shut during the snow. So if your college didn't close, the deadline would still have been the same.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by carly_l)
    The application deadline was only pushed forward for people whose college or whatever was shut during the snow. So if your college didn't close, the deadline would still have been the same.
    :lies:

No, it's for everyone

ReputationRep:
    Really? We were told by head of college that it was only for those who had their colleges shut so they would have been unable to send it in. Sorry if I was wrong, but I was just passing on the information we all got told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carly_l)
    Really? We were told by head of college that it was only for those who had their colleges shut so they would have been unable to send it in. Sorry if I was wrong, but I was just passing on the information we all got told.
    It's for everyone. But people should probably have it sent off before Friday incase there's any problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueshoes123)
    It's for everyone. But people should probably have it sent off before Friday incase there's any problems
    It's for everyone in the UK.
    International students had to send it in by the 15th.

So we might be the first to get replies (still waiting for Edinburgh).

ReputationRep:
    Some of u guys r talking rubbish...You CAN apply to be a paramedic directly through the NHS, you don't HAVE to go to uni!...If u reeli want to be a paramedic, u shud do your research instead of writing crap about Labour n other stuff...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haze_89)
    Some of u guys r talking rubbish...You CAN apply to be a paramedic directly through the NHS, you don't HAVE to go to uni!...If u reeli want to be a paramedic, u shud do your research instead of writing crap about Labour n other stuff...
    Yes, I am fully aware of the NHS route. But I think you need to do your research as you still go to University either way... just on the NHS Route you do more hands on work (Still university though).

So don't come here ************ telling me what not to talk about on a forum.

You just got owned kthnx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    I didn't ask how competitive it was; I asked why would you need a degree in it? Same with nursing; it should be apprenticed. Degrees should be for academic subjects only.
    Paramedics have to know a lot about the human body, how it works, pathophysiology etc. A degree is a good way of doing this. Most courses are foundation degrees (designed for vocational subjects), but there are BSc degrees (these have an element of research in them). All the courses have at least 1500 hours of practice placements in them, and 1500 hours of theory. In my opinion the subject needs to be degree based due to the sheer amount of stuff they need to know (they are experts on pre hospital care after all, it's not just pick someone up and shift them to hospital now, there is a lot of treatment that can be done to stabailise someone before transport to hospital, or even to prevent transport to hospital).

Edit: JakeM, which unis are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriscpritchard)
    Edit: JakeM, which unis are you applying for?
    Hi Chris,

Well my home town ones first LJMU and Edge Hill and then UCLAN.

But im also going to apply for most trusts Student Paramedics .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.