Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was just wondering, ive got my 5 offers, if it would be ok to email a university and ask them to lower their offer from say AAA to AAB or change it to like A*AB?

Would that be risky in any way? Maybe if i jus ask them to change to AAA to A*AB instead of lowering there offer?

any advice?

ReputationRep:
    computer says nooooo
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Unless you have a reason for it they won't.

ReputationRep:
    ...Nope.

ReputationRep:
    coz i am more likely to get A*AB than AAA

why not?

ReputationRep:
    Aside from getting a giggle and a rapid reply of 'no', I don't think this will gain you anything.

ReputationRep:
    Er, they've given you an offer on what they expect.

Could have a go, but don't be surprised if they hang up on you.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to go to that university then you need to get the grades, you cant just tell them what to offer you. it is extremely competative to go to uni this year, if you cant get those grades someone else will and they will have your place. if you cant achieve those grades then go to a different uni which has a lower offer.
    for someone who seems intelligent you have asked a really retarded question

ReputationRep:
    I might be wrong, but from my knowledge (and friend's experiences) those offers are subject to a certain amount of change. If you get an A*AB they might still accept you.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candytreeman)
    Aside from getting a giggle and a rapid reply of 'no', I don't think this will gain you anything.
    lol alright
    so even if im not gona be goin ther coz atm its not my firm/insurance i shouldnt attempt this?

ReputationRep:
    I guess a possibility would be to get your school to contact the university and ask for a lower offer, if there are special circumstances or a good reason why you are unlikely to get an A grade in your third subject. It would probably sound better coming from them than from you.
    Also, is your offer on UCAS Track yet? I know somebody who asked for a lower offer after recieving an offer letter (but before it was communicated via UCAS) and their offer was withdrawn. However, it should be fine if it's on UCAS... Correct me if I'm wrong, but once a conditional offer is put on UCAS Track, it can't be taken away right?
    I doubt they'd alter your offer though, unless there was a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    when i had applied to the university of bradford, they gave me an offer of BBC rather than what they advertised as their 'standard offer' of 280 UCAS points. i called them to tell them i was suprised that i'd received an offer in grades rather than points and asked if there was any reason for this, and they gave me an explanation but a couple of days later they changed my offer, and im positive that communication was the key for that to happen.

although to be honest, i doubt it would work with more competitive universities.

ReputationRep:
    alright tks everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hussain92)
    lol alright
    so even if im not gona be goin ther coz atm its not my firm/insurance i shouldnt attempt this?
    So if they lowered it, they would be your firm? I don't understand why you're bothered otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    coz i am more likely to get A*AB than AAA

why not?
    But A*AB is not the same as AAA. They want you to be at an A grade or above in all your subjects, not just 2 of them. Personally I think you'd be better off spending your time swotting rather than trying to argue your offer, but I suppose it's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    lol alright
    Why would you want the offer to be lowered if you don't plan on going there? It doesn't make sense...

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can't change your firm and insurance once you've decided on them so what's even the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin_love)
    Why would you want the offer to be lowered if you don't plan on going there? It doesn't make sense...
    if its lowered if would probably be my insurance

(Original post by AwakeandUnafraid)
    But A*AB is not the same as AAA. They want you to be at an A grade or above in all your subjects, not just 2 of them. Personally I think you'd be better off spending your time swotting rather than trying to argue your offer, but I suppose it's worth a try.
    I know its jus that i could easily get even A*A*B rather than AAA coz im havin some trouble with that subject

ReputationRep:
    Theres a guy in my school who asked UCL to lower AAA to AAB on the basis he 'will put UCL as his insurance if so' and he got it! Didn't think it was possible imo..

ReputationRep:
    if its lowered if would probably be my insurance

I know its jus that i could easily get even A*A*B rather than AAA coz im havin some trouble with that subject
    I doubt they'd lower it just to be your insurance. Just choose the other university as your insurance, you must like it to apply there.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.