Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Good work, despite the fact only 3% of your DNA is unique from a chimp. :yes:

Edit: And only 0.1% of your DNA is unique from random person to random person.
    Your point is void.

Just because I might have 80% DNA that is common to the Anglo-Saxon, does not mean that I was implying that all of that 80% DNA is exclusive to Anglo-Saxons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetrahydro)
    Your point is void.

Just because I might have 80% DNA that is common to the Anglo-Saxon, does not mean that I was implying that all of that 80% DNA is exclusive to Anglo-Saxons.
    My point is that roughly 99+% of your DNA is in common with not only an Anglo-Saxon, but also a Japanese Businessman and an Australian Aborigine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    My point is that roughly 99+% of your DNA is in common with not only an Anglo-Saxon, but also a Japanese Businessman and an Australian Aborigine.
    That 0.1% makes one hell of a difference given the diversity we have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetrahydro)
    Your point is void.

DNA? Do you mean that you're of 80% Anglo-Saxon ethnicity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    Neither are you, you're actually originated from West Africa. **** Nick Griffin reckons ethnically British= if your ancestors came to this country over 10,000 years ago. Now I may be mistaken but yours could've come 9000 years ago or 500 years ago or whatever. :fyi:
    wow, that was such a clever pun on griffins name, you are so darn original.
    i cba getting into a long discussion on what constitutes ethnically british. the person in question is not, and you would accept this as a reasonable point from anyone else but the bnp, who was e.g. contrasting ethnically to civically british.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    It would be inaccurate to call a half native american and half black person an indigenous american, and in the same way if you're mixed British + another race, you don't qualify to be genetically part of the indigenous population either. In both cases, the race of the person in question would best be defined as "mixed".
    I definitely disagree with that, because you have to admit that the race of the person involved would not come into play at all if the person happened to have mixed parentage and appear white, like with some people.
    With the case of the half black half 'indigenous american', no one would say he/she belonged to another race if just by chance he/she appeared 'indigenous american', whatever genes he/she had.
    You can't insist that a person's claim to a specific race is tied to their genes, because as you've shown its more about skin colour, irrespective of what genes they have - essentially we would not be having this argument if Ashley Cole was white, but with a black mother/black grandparents, whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missbrowneyes)
    I definitely disagree with that, because you have to admit that the race of the person involved would not come into play at all if the person happened to have mixed parentage and appear white, like with some people.
    With the case of the half black half 'indigenous american', no one would say he/she belonged to another race if just by chance he/she appeared 'indigenous american', whatever genes he/she had.
    You can't insist that a person's claim to a specific race is tied to their genes, because as you've shown its more about skin colour, irrespective of what genes they have - essentially we would not be having this argument if Ashley Cole was white, but with a black mother/black grandparents, whatever.
    I don't think your reply really addresses any of my points. I'm saying that an ingenous british "race" exists, I haven't said that you could tell whether a person is part of this race purely based on what colour they are (although in many cases their colour obviously will mark them out as not possibly being able to be part of it). Perhaps most other people tend to define race on aesthetic terms rather than genetic ones, but I personally don't. In that respect I agree with you, and I've already said in this thread that I agree that Ashley Cole wouldn't have been questioned if he was a white-skinned non-ethnic-Britain - I don't agree with the BNP on many things, including their decision to actually confront Ashley in this way, but from your post I get the feeling that you think I do.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your reply really addresses any of my points. I'm saying that an ingenous british "race" exists, I haven't said that you could tell whether a person is part of this race purely based on what colour they are (although in many cases their colour obviously will mark them out as not possibly being able to be part of it). Perhaps most other people tend to define race on aesthetic terms rather than genetic ones, but I personally don't. In that respect I agree with you, and I've already said in this thread that I agree that Ashley Cole wouldn't have been questioned if he was a white-skinned non-ethnic-Britain - I don't agree with the BNP on many things, including their decision to actually confront Ashley in this way, but from your post I get the feeling that you think I do.
    The whole idea of my reply was to point out that there are exceptions to your clear cut ideas of who does or doesnt fit the profile of an indigenous person, as far as people who have mixed heritage are concerned..im really not saying or implying anything at all about the BNP in this instance, that was you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missbrowneyes)
    The whole idea of my reply was to point out that there are exceptions to your clear cut ideas of who does or doesnt fit the profile of an indigenous person, as far as people who have mixed heritage are concerned..im really not saying or implying anything at all about the BNP in this instance, that was you.
    There may be aesthetic exceptions perceived by some people (which are actually incorrect), but I don't understand how there can be gentic exceptions?

ReputationRep:
    There may be aesthetic exceptions perceived by some people (which are actually incorrect), but I don't understand how there can be gentic exceptions?
    Surely if you have ancestry tracing back to one race, you share the DNA of that race, and that makes the argument that 'you are not British because you are black and distinct from the gene pool of the indigenous British race/people' invalid.
    I think its safe to say we aren't going to agree on this, though,so I might as well stop here.:dontknow:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.