Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people SO SHALLOW? watch

Announcements

Recently I underwent a jaw op, anyway I lost A LOT of weight, and since then I have been unable to recover the weight I have lost - due to stress and a very active alcohol infused based lifestyle. If not partying I have been studying like mad.

Anyway, I dont particularly like being skinny, 9 stone 10 at 6 ft = not good. I was 11 pre operation, but my dress sense is very good. All of my clothing are designer, and most of them are "fitted". But yeah, I'm skinny and you can still see it.

So I was speaking to a girl today, out of nowhere she starts having a dig at me,calling me a bag of bones, how my style is **** and all this ****. On our previous meeting she was having another dig at me by sarcastically making a remark about my imperfections by using someone else as an example, i.e. I have a very bad hooked nose.

For the most part I brush these comments off, but I am starting to see how people are so shallow generally, if it isn't me they are criticising, they end up critising someone else. Just recently on facebook, a couple of mates ended up taking the piss out of curvy women - setting up pro size 10 groups and all this ****. And I just cant see the point in it, cos they themselves dont look like supermodels.

Irony with the first girl (that criticised me) above her eyes are crossed, and she is a bit pudgy and if I really wanted to I could have ripped her hard about her appearance but I chose not too.

Why don't people just accept people are, accept the fact that if they choose to be a certain way then be it, and instead of critcising them, encourage them to do something that can help them improve say their weight or whatever? Rather then bashing them?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't know why people are like this. Our society is so obsessed with our outward appearances.

Although I have noticed that often the most critical of people tend to be very insecure and having a dig at other people is their way of dealing with it.

ReputationRep:
    You generalise with the term 'people', as if you mean everyone. Are you shallow too then?

ReputationRep:
    I think this appears to support your argument - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1150635

(Original post by Skadoosh)
    You generalise with the term 'people', as if you mean everyone. Are you shallow too then?
    I used the term 'people' because I have met a **** load of people like this. Only difference to now and before, is if anything gives **** to me about any imperfection I have, I give them the same **** back. Or I make witty remarks such as:

"You know, if I were perfect, I would be a supermodel right now"

Needless to say, it annoys me, because I just find it so immature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently I underwent a jaw op, anyway I lost A LOT of weight, and since then I have been unable to recover the weight I have lost - due to stress and a very active alcohol infused based lifestyle. If not partying I have been studying like mad.

Anyway, I dont particularly like being skinny, 9 stone 10 at 6 ft = not good. I was 11 pre operation, but my dress sense is very good. All of my clothing are designer, and most of them are "fitted". But yeah, I'm skinny and you can still see it.

So I was speaking to a girl today, out of nowhere she starts having a dig at me,calling me a bag of bones, how my style is **** and all this ****. On our previous meeting she was having another dig at me by sarcastically making a remark about my imperfections by using someone else as an example, i.e. I have a very bad hooked nose.

For the most part I brush these comments off, but I am starting to see how people are so shallow generally, if it isn't me they are criticising, they end up critising someone else. Just recently on facebook, a couple of mates ended up taking the piss out of curvy women - setting up pro size 10 groups and all this ****. And I just cant see the point in it, cos they themselves dont look like supermodels.

Irony with the first girl (that criticised me) above her eyes are crossed, and she is a bit pudgy and if I really wanted to I could have ripped her hard about her appearance but I chose not too.

Why don't people just accept people are, accept the fact that if they choose to be a certain way then be it, and instead of critcising them, encourage them to do something that can help them improve say their weight or whatever? Rather then bashing them?
    Its called bitter jealousy. They see you as more attractive and as a result of their own insecurity rip it out of you.

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like a knob end. Just delete her from your life.

ReputationRep:
    Because you're ugly.

ReputationRep:
    You make a point that your clothes are designer therefore you are also shallow.

Everyone is shallow to some extent as we all prefer looking at something we believe is pretty than something we believe is the most despicable looking object ever created. The way we look ourselves has no bearing on our ability to judge prettiness in others, just opens ourselves up to attacks from others really.

(Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    She sounds like a knob end. Just delete her from your life.
    She is alright aside from her shallowness, always making an effort to talk to me on facebook etc. Good to talk too on other matters, but yes, tonight I will be going out with friends - I was thinking of inviting her a long but then she did that. So didn't want her to be saying **** like that with my friends around - who are normally pretty positive people and are more interested in having a good time more then anything.

I do that with everyone that is a bit of a knob end. Just dont invite them out.

(Original post by meskell)
    You make a point that your clothes are designer therefore you are also shallow.

Everyone is shallow to some extent as we all prefer looking at something we believe is pretty than something we believe is the most despicable looking object ever created. The way we look ourselves has no bearing on our ability to judge prettiness in others, just opens ourselves up to attacks from others really.
    Yes indeed I am shallow to a degree. But the difference between me and her, is I dont go around bashing people because I can. With that example, yeah I am out of shape I was trying to point out, that I do try and do the best that I can with my body shape...you'll find designer clothing (the right one) is more tailored for people that are out of shape.

Also, if say someone is extremely overweight, instead what I would do if say they wanted my opinion, I would help them achieve their goal. I also understand that getting a good body is bloody hard work, because at one point when I hit 11 stones I was training hard. So only because someone is out of shape does not neccessary mean they don't want to change it....For example as in my case, I just don't have much time. Lastly, I don't discriminate with my friends with accordance to how they look, some of the more interesting people in my life are not "models".

That is a much more maturer way of looking at it.

ReputationRep:
    everyone is shallow OP im sure you are too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Because you're ugly.
    you so ugly that you have to hide your ugly face

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it! It sucks that some people can be soooo shallow.
    I partly blame the media, they make such a big deal out of apperance 'too fat', 'too thin', 'too tall', 'too short' It's all a load of cack.
    Of-couse apperance is important, but only to an extent.
    I believe that as long as your beautuful on the inside, it shines on the outside.

The girl is obviously insecure and maybe a tad jealous.
    Don't worrry, there ARE genuinely nice people out there who don't judge you for your looks but for who your are!

ReputationRep:
    Easier to criticise someone else than themselves :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simisanerd)
    Tell me about it! It sucks that some people can be soooo shallow.
    I partly blame the media, they make such a big deal out of apperance 'too fat', 'too thin', 'too tall', 'too short' It's all a load of cack.
    Of-couse apperance is important, but only to an extent.
    I believe that as long as your beautuful on the inside, it shines on the outside.

The girl is obviously insecure and maybe a tad jealous.
    Don't worrry, there ARE genuinely nice people out there who don't judge you for your looks but for who your are!
    Have you ever thought one person is more attractive than the other? (To say anything less than 'yes' here would be a lie) then you are also shallow.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever thought one person is more attractive than the other? (To say anything less than 'yes' here would be a lie) then you are also shallow.
    Yes, of course i am. I'm human, It's in human nature to be shallow.
    But some people over do it, i may think someone is prettier then the other person. But i wouldn't SAY it as it would hurt the 'less attractive' persons feelings. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simisanerd)
    Yes, of course i am. I'm human, It's in human nature to be shallow.
    But some people over do it, i may think someone is prettier then the other person. But i wouldn't SAY it as it would hurt the 'less attractive' persons feelings. :yes:
    That isn't being shallow though, that is being something along the lines of mean/nasty/ignorant etc. The shallow part is the judgement not letting the other know that they have been judged and deemed unworthy.

ReputationRep:
    That isn't being shallow though, that is being something along the lines of mean/nasty/ignorant etc. The shallow part is the judgement not letting the other know that they have been judged and deemed unworthy.
    Well everyone IS shallow, it's true, everyone judges people, but that shallowness is balanced out by the persons reaction to their judement. If they act on their judgment and say something 'mean/nasty/ignorant' then it just makes them seem more 'shallow' whereas if the person doesn't say anything and is nice to them despite their judement then it balances it out. That's what i think anywayy...
    Shallow is a very vague word i guess.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=you'll find designer clothing (the right one) is more tailored for people that are out of shape.

.[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sure if I am understanding you correctly here but are you saying designer clothing is designed for people who are out of shape/have bad figures?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2012
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.