Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people SO SHALLOW? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    All those who are replying that being shallow is just 'human nature', please refer me to the research that purportedly proves this.

ReputationRep:
    But, tall skinny guys are just lovely :love: But looks are only part of it. I'd be lying if I said you didn't have to find someone physically attractive to fancy them, but you also need to like their personality. If you only have one and not the other then you're either a f*** buddy or just a good friend. Anyway, don't worry about it. Also, studying like mad *high five*

This is all coming from an admittedly rather shallow person. Think my sig proves that.

ReputationRep:
    I think in life people just like to look at things that look good and appealing. I think it's wrong though that people would deliberately treat someone worse just because they don't like their appearance. This society is obsessed with external beauty though I mean just look at the majority of adverts you see on tv - makeup, beauty creams, how to look younger, hair etc. You hear about all of these researchers trying to find out why a lot of teenagers have low self esteem when the answer is already there and very obvious! There is a pressure on people to look attractive and this is why teenagers (or even older people) can develop low self esteem because such emphasis and importance is placed on external looks.

Don't let it affect you though. You just have to accept it and rise above it!

Plus, a lot of human beings can be mean. Unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently I underwent a jaw op, anyway I lost A LOT of weight, and since then I have been unable to recover the weight I have lost - due to stress and a very active alcohol infused based lifestyle. If not partying I have been studying like mad.

Anyway, I dont particularly like being skinny, 9 stone 10 at 6 ft = not good. I was 11 pre operation, but my dress sense is very good. All of my clothing are designer, and most of them are "fitted". But yeah, I'm skinny and you can still see it.

So I was speaking to a girl today, out of nowhere she starts having a dig at me,calling me a bag of bones, how my style is **** and all this ****. On our previous meeting she was having another dig at me by sarcastically making a remark about my imperfections by using someone else as an example, i.e. I have a very bad hooked nose.

For the most part I brush these comments off, but I am starting to see how people are so shallow generally, if it isn't me they are criticising, they end up critising someone else. Just recently on facebook, a couple of mates ended up taking the piss out of curvy women - setting up pro size 10 groups and all this ****. And I just cant see the point in it, cos they themselves dont look like supermodels.

Irony with the first girl (that criticised me) above her eyes are crossed, and she is a bit pudgy and if I really wanted to I could have ripped her hard about her appearance but I chose not too.

Why don't people just accept people are, accept the fact that if they choose to be a certain way then be it, and instead of critcising them, encourage them to do something that can help them improve say their weight or whatever? Rather then bashing them?
    Welcome to planet Earth. This is just one of the cruel things that happen here.

ReputationRep:
    Recently I underwent a jaw op, anyway I lost A LOT of weight, and since then I have been unable to recover the weight I have lost - due to stress and a very active alcohol infused based lifestyle. If not partying I have been studying like mad.

Anyway, I dont particularly like being skinny, 9 stone 10 at 6 ft = not good. I was 11 pre operation, but my dress sense is very good. All of my clothing are designer, and most of them are "fitted". But yeah, I'm skinny and you can still see it.

So I was speaking to a girl today, out of nowhere she starts having a dig at me,calling me a bag of bones, how my style is **** and all this ****. On our previous meeting she was having another dig at me by sarcastically making a remark about my imperfections by using someone else as an example, i.e. I have a very bad hooked nose.

For the most part I brush these comments off, but I am starting to see how people are so shallow generally, if it isn't me they are criticising, they end up critising someone else. Just recently on facebook, a couple of mates ended up taking the piss out of curvy women - setting up pro size 10 groups and all this ****. And I just cant see the point in it, cos they themselves dont look like supermodels.

Irony with the first girl (that criticised me) above her eyes are crossed, and she is a bit pudgy and if I really wanted to I could have ripped her hard about her appearance but I chose not too.

Why don't people just accept people are, accept the fact that if they choose to be a certain way then be it, and instead of critcising them, encourage them to do something that can help them improve say their weight or whatever? Rather then bashing them?
    ikrr.

ReputationRep:

This is what is known as a "**** test". She was testing you. You failed by the sound of it...

I also find it hilariously ironic how you're harping on about other people are shallow, but go on about how your style is great and you have such wonderful designer clothes... hypocrite much?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2012
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.