Turn on thread page Beta

Judging the universities by the types of people...help :( watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Well basically i'm having a hard time trying to decide which uni to go to, but what ive heard about the people that go there/stereotypes is really effecting my decision. I can't really help it, I just keep being put off by the unis (e.g. oxford brookes and what ive heard about the people that go there, 'rah-rah' types etc)

Does anyone else find that the stereotypes that you hear about that university put you off from going? Any tips on how I can stop this being the main factor of my decision?
    I know they are just stereotypes and i'm being fairly judgemental, but I can't really help it

Have you tried visiting some of these universities? To see if these generalisations have any weight?

ReputationRep:
    Well, think about the number of people who go to such universities. Then think about statistically significant numbers. Then remember what an idiot you were for thinking everyone at a university will fit a stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been to all the open days for each one, and although it helps, I just keep reading reviews about the unis saying about the people that go there, and it doesn't really help

ReputationRep:
    You'll get 'Toffs' at any half decent uni you go to. You'll find every stereotype at uni. Not everyone fits into a certain group its impossible. Even places like Cambridge, Durham , all have the commoners like myself haha. Plus its always good to mix with different types of people thats all part of the university experience.

ReputationRep:
    All students are *******, so if you base it on that logic, you won't be going anywhere.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.