Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Me and my ex broke up about 6 weeks ago after going out for 2 years. A couple of weeks after the break-up, we met up for a drink and ended up kissing each other. Later the same evening she started crying and said she couldn't go through it all again and so we left it.

We didn't see each other over the christmas holidays. When we got back to uni, I asked to speak to her about "us". She said she just wanted to be single, hang-out with her friends, focus on her work etc and couldn't face the prospect of getting back in to a relationship. However, 2 days later we were out with mutual friends and she spent the whole evening talking to a guy who was a friend of a friend - I'm not sure if anything happened between them. When we were out a week later, she spent the whole evening with this guy again, pulled him in front of me and everyone else and ended up leaving with him. Speaking to a friend, it turned out she'd gone out for drinks with this guy during the previous week. It's so out of character for her to do something like this, but I can accept she's moving on and this is how she's dealing with it.

Problem is, when speaking to her before the incident with this new guy, we'd agreed to meet up for a chat. I assumed that because of what had happened with this guy she wouldn't want to meet up again, not sure I really want to either - however I got a text off her late last night asking if I wanted to meet for a "catch-up" today.

Can someone explain/guess what she's doing/thinking and what I should do? I still have a lot of feelings for her, but am also ready to move on if needs be. We have a lot of mutual friends so I also don't want things to become awkward between us.

Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    *My ex and I*

I think that she's moving on and you should leave her be.

ReputationRep:
    She's trying to show you how good she is at moving on and how cool she is with the entire situation.

If you think you'll benefit from meeting up, whether that's staying friends, finding closure or winning her back, then do it. If you're agreeing to the meet up because you want to pretend to be cool and moved on then don't bother, what are you going to achieve.

If you really want to beat her at her own game, turn up with her friend, or her sister and say you are on the way out for dinner!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.