Turn on thread page Beta

UKIP want to ban the Niqaab and Burkha:Is this an example of Islamophobia? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    quite a few, actually :\ and the rest wont get reported by the news because they dont want to risk offending muslims
    How do you know about these crimes which haven't been reported?

(Original post by CombineHarvester)
    That's because the thread was asking if this should be expanded to the UK. Make a similar thread about camouflage and whether the ban should be extended to the UK and see what the response is.

Nobody will care.....least not as much as on this thread:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    Whether words exist is not open to conjecture. And a phobia is, by definition, an irrational fear. :facepalm2:
    My point is that it's a perfectly rational fear, when you look at what Islam is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Nobody will care.....least not as much as on this thread:rolleyes:
    Oh, on the contrary I think it would spark a lot of interest - especially amongst those who are regulars to the Fashion and Beauty thread who would show a greater interest in the banning of Burberry than the burqa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    So a women who was born here yet chooses to wear a burka should go to her own country?
    Of course, it isn't fair on the woman that she would be expected to stop wearing the burka, but the creators of this situation are her parents, not the country enforcing the rules. Parents bringing up children away from their cultural or ethnic country of origin should strive to bring up the children in a way compatible with with the country they move to. If they cannot do this, then they should stay where they are. I would not bring up my children to drink alcohol conspicuously in a country where alcohol was illegal, if I chose to move to one, and I would not bring up children to go out with their faces uncovered in a country where it was forbidden. If you make your bed, then you must lie on it. I would choose not to move to these countries because I do not want to have to put up with their culture. If people come over here, belonging to another culture, and expect everything to be just fine, then they are having unrealistic expectations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    The bnp having two MEPS is hardly that great either. Its just the media hyped it up.
    The EU Parliament is useless anyways. It's the Council that does the moving and shaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawQueen)
    The reason rape counts are low in Muslim countries is because it's acceptable or it goes under the radar because a woman is property to her husband/man and is meant to serve him. In UK marital rape wasn't a crime until 1991 and so I think marital rape would happen quite often in Muslim countries like it used to go under the radar here.

I say this for any country that claims its rape count is low.
    wtf you on about!!!:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    My point is that it's a perfectly rational fear, when you look at what Islam is.
    My point was that you mislabelled (Islamo)phobia, whether the fear you pertain to is rationally sound is abstract from what i said.

ReputationRep:
    Too right, good on his Lordship. The Burkhah is imcompatible with the equality of women in society.

The burkha has nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with fear, indimidation and opression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    No, they're not asking for it. People should be free to act as they wish without fear of violence or otherwise.
    well same goes for wearing burkha, either ban both or leave both

if you find burkha offensive or a problem for you then same goes for me with regards to mini clothes, if you're going to open the door for these kinda issues, then you got a long way to go my friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Too right, good on his Lordship. The Burkhah is imcompatible with the equality of women in society.

The burkha has nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with fear, indimidation and opression.
    The equality of women in society is to give them the CHOICE to wear what they want

ReputationRep:
    and who the **** are you to make rules and laws whether this thing is compatible or incompatible?? Who do you think you are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    Of course, it isn't fair on the woman that she would be expected to stop wearing the burka, but the creators of this situation are her parents, not the country enforcing the rules. Parents bringing up children away from their cultural or ethnic country of origin should strive to bring up the children in a way compatible with with the country they move to. If they cannot do this, then they should stay where they are. I would not bring up my children to drink alcohol conspicuously in a country where alcohol was illegal, if I chose to move to one, and I would not bring up children to go out with their faces uncovered in a country where it was forbidden. If you make your bed, then you must lie on it. I would choose not to move to these countries because I do not want to have to put up with their culture. If people come over here, belonging to another culture, and expect everything to be just fine, then they are having unrealistic expectations.
    what about Muslim converts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Media student)
    women who wear miniskirts and minitops arent really dressing are they? more like asking for it

and I wonder why rape crimes in the Muslim countries (where they impose burkhs) is very low if any, I guess its a one solution for the rape problem in this country
    Think about what it takes for a woman to report a rape in 'Muslim' countries. Think about the stigma she would go through. Think about how the phenomenon of forced sex in marriage is not considered 'rape' or a criminal act. This may just explain the figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    The EU Parliament is useless anyways. It's the Council that does the moving and shaking.
    and its the parliament which sets the budget to allow the council to "move and shake" :jebus:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    My point was that you mislabelled (Islamo)phobia, whether the fear you pertain to is rationally sound is abstract from what i said.
    :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    Think about what it takes for a woman to report a rape in 'Muslim' countries. Think about the stigma she would go through. Think about how the phenomenon of forced sex in marriage is not considered 'rape' or a criminal act. This may just explain the figures.

EDIT: just read you post again and realised how stupid I was

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    No country in the world follow Islamic law
    Cop out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    Cop out.
    what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    They have more MEPs than any other party, not really that small.
    It's funny how an anti-eu party has so many MEPs? xd

Anyway, wrote a blog on this subject (http://thingeh.hattix.co.uk/?p=43) if you wish for elaborated views, but I'd say this is very much an example of Islamaphobia.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.