Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I have a lot of trust in the Muslim people. They're not as sexually expedient as they are here hence sexual deviancy doesn't occur (at least no where near to the levels here).

Great, you're not a Muslim so...
    You're right, I'm not a Muslim. I therefore don't subscribe to the argument that a women defined as being 'chaste' is something to be revered above any other aspect of her identity. I also find the concept of this fantasy ideal woman being respected by males solely on the basis of her covering her hair and even her face as representing a desire to erase evidence of a woman's presence from existence in the public sphere.

ReputationRep:
    The Burka is not actually mentioned in the Quran so its hardly an attack on Islam. Its more an attack on the way of life of some Muslims.

Is it discriminating against youth to only allow under 16's into a stationary store if they are accompanied by an adult, yes but its allowed and is the rule in my local stationary store to combat thieves. I used to resent being labelled a thief but the rule is in place for the security of the store and store keeper.

The law he is recommending does not hate on the culture of some muslims it is simply security and logically based. How would you feel if your a levels were taught by somebody wearing a burka?

ReputationRep:
    Let's have a referendum on the issue, and I bet it would be banned.
    Good ol'democracy

ReputationRep:
    No one has any right to tell any other person what they can or can't wear.

ReputationRep:
    So they wish to force people to stop wearing what they please in the name of freedom.... :rolleyes:

Sweet irony :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invocation)
    No one has any right to tell any other person what they can or can't wear.
    Can I wear an SS uniform?
    A swastika maybe?

Glad you support my right to wear it no matter how many people it makes uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    A swastika maybe?

Of course you can idiot. Even Prince Harry did,t he only reason he got in trouble was because he was a Prince :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinsforever)
    Wearing a burqa and wearing a balaclava are two very different things so yes people might tell you something because a burqa is used for religious reasons whereas a balaclava isnt!
    So since it's done in the name of religion it's allowed?

ReputationRep:
    I HAVE THE RIGHT TO WEAR WHATEVER I WANT!

Therefore I choose to wear nothing and walk through a public park... Hang on why am I now on the sex offenders register :O.

Silly people, freedom is not free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiGBaDBoO)

Therefore I choose to wear nothing and walk through a public park... Hang on why am I now on the sex offenders register :O.
    Because you exposed your penis, to a young child. Which is child abuse. Explain how this is a legitimate comparison to the burkha?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Of course you can idiot. Even Prince Harry did,t he only reason he got in trouble was because he was a Prince
    Firstly, by insulting someone you just discredit your own argument
    Secondly, I was specifically referring to him and his comfort if I was wearing it. A number of people would be very uncomfortable with me wearing it, and I would probably get beaten up quite quickly.

My point is, the veil makes people uncomfortable, and the same rule should be applied. Don't wear the damn thing.

ReputationRep:

Silly people, freedom is not free.
    you do have the right to wear nothing, however not infront of minors

ReputationRep:
    A swastika maybe?

Glad you support my right to wear it no matter how many people it makes uncomfortable.
    You don't need my permission to carry on looking like a tool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    You're right, I'm not a Muslim. I therefore don't subscribe to the argument that a women defined as being 'chaste' is something to be revered above any other aspect of her identity. I also find the concept of this fantasy ideal woman being respected by males solely on the basis of her covering her hair and even her face as representing a desire to erase evidence of a woman's presence from existence in the public sphere.
    No you're too superficial to see beyond my quote hence making hasty conclusions. Not all women in Islamic countries cover their hair, probably in Saudi Arabia and Iran, but with the latter, transsexualism is also permissible for some bizarre reason. Women throughout the Middle East more or less choose what to wear, their governments are ardently anti Islamist and seek to secularize state whatever way possible as seen in Egypt and the Al Azhar trying to ban the Burqa and the following outcry solely from women.

ReputationRep:
    Im undecided on the issue.
    In my opinion we should follow france on the issue (for once) and ban the from public places (this excludes headscarves and only includes the burkha) - my reasons would be the "hidden identity" angle.
    But as for the religion angle, I hink its pretty disgusting but if they wanna wear it, they can - thats democrocy for you : )

And on a side note - **** ukip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    you do have the right to wear nothing, however not infront of minors
    Just like the Burka shouldn't be worn in public places.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, by insulting someone you just discredit your own argument
    Actually i think calling you a **** only adds to my argument.

Secondly, I was specifically referring to him and his comfort if I was wearing it. A number of people would be very uncomfortable with me wearing it, and I would probably get beaten up quite quickly.
    And? Nobody has a right to not be offended and those who do primitively attack should be locked up.

My point is, the veil makes people uncomfortable, and the same rule should be applied. Don't wear the damn thing.

Who gives a **** if you find it uncomfortable? Not me, i am uncomfortable around white nationalists but that doesn't mean they should be banned. As much as i would love it if they were.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see burkha causing psychological damage to minors?

ReputationRep:

LOLWUT. How can you even make the comparison you absolute imbecile. That is possibly the worst argumment against the Burkha i have ever come across. :laugh:

"I CANT SHOW KIDS MY **** SO MUZLIMZ SHUDNT WEAR DA BURKHA LOLOLOLOLO!!!1!!1!"

Go back to your cave. :ta:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    "but this is incompatible with Britain’s values of freedom and democracy."

Yes, Lord Pearson you are correct. Banning the Burkah is incompatible with Britain's values of freedom and democracy. :yy:
    Very much this.

Last I checked, British democracy was historically about deregulation and self-determination. When did people start deciding that they had the right to determine which clothes people should wear?

The Burqa is a personal choice. Those who wear it have a fundamental right to do so, as it is an expression of their religious beliefs and discrimination against it breaches the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on at least two counts [right to hold religious beliefs, right to freedom of expression]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.