Turn on thread page Beta

UKIP want to ban the Niqaab and Burkha:Is this an example of Islamophobia? watch

ReputationRep:
    How about we just ban all type of clothing and walk around in public places strip naked. ******* ridiculous.

(Original post by crazylemon)
    Why ban it in public places? I see no need. I also don't see why I can't pop down to my local jobcentre or CAB in a balaclava if I choose personally.
    Banks are not public buildings.

I see no need either, but realistically balaclava isn't allowed either, nor are motorcycle helmets. For security purposes. Theoretically, what they're partially basing it on is: "Is it not only a matter of time before some extremist imbecile either from the BNP or Islamist sections of society dresses up in a burqa and goes mental in a gvt building?"

I say burkha and niqaab are fair game if motorcycle helments and balaclava's are....after all supposedly they're not 'required' by the religion as we're so often told.....:rolleyes:
    If they are then there are other issues of oppression which it would be subject to....but hey nobody wants to go there so seeing as it's not 'required' I don't see the issue with banning it in the same way other coverings are.

I know a bank is not a public building, but AFAIK banks aren't allowed to kick women in burkhas out as a security risk under 'equality' regulations..... they're allowed to ban motorcycle helmets though.........if you bother reading the OP the new (admittedly much poorer and dumber and just generally worse) leader of UKIP says he wants to give private properties the choice of whether or not to allow burkhas and niqaabs on their premises.... fair game if you ask me...especially seeing as...again....they're not 'required' by religion and it's a 'choice':rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireph)
    if you read around Islam you'll find a reason for the Burka is so that men aren't too tempted and "forced" to rape women (which would of course be the womens fault for dressing provacativly).
    No it isn't.

The reason Muslim women wear Burkas is the same reason western women don't walk around naked in public. Except Muslims have a different idea of what needs to be covered and what doesn't.

(Original post by ajtiesto)
    UKIP are just as bad as the BNP. They come out with all the crap about not being a racist/facist group, but deep down they know damn well what they're doing. What right have they got to tell someone what not to wear. Freedom and democracy is about choices, you'll be taking it away if the burkha is banned. Why would you want to see their face in a public place, the women wears it for a reason because thats what she believes in. This is another case of islamphobia and taking away someones rights.

Maybe we should all go around in the nude from now on, i'm sure UKIP won't mind that.

Camouflage is banned in many places in the carribean.... no fuss being made about that.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    No it isn't.

The reason Muslim women wear Burkas is the same reason western women don't walk around naked in public. Except Muslims have a different idea of what needs to be covered and what doesn't.
    I take it "by a different idea" you mean that the believe that the whole female body is so alluring that it has to be concealed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    I see no need either, but realistically balaclava isn't allowed either, nor are motorcycle helmets. For security purposes.
    Surely if a bank was suspicious that women in Burkas were coming to rob them, a female member of staff could simply ask the women to remove the face covering just for her to see?

It's just like how in a passport photo you can't cover your face, but then a Burka-wearing woman is going to request that only female airport security people look at her passport.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, no it is not an example of Islamophobia, what a stupid claim.
    Secondly, the veil (the face mask) which they want to ban, is not part of Islam, thus the argument of freedom of religion doesn't hold.
    Thirdly, they are seeking a one rule for all approach. I am not allowed to cover up my face with a balaclava or helmet, so why should they do it with a veil?
    Fourthly, you must remember that is veil/burqa or whatever name you wish to give it, is a tool of oppression. Many dedicated and observant Muslims detest the burqa because they disagree with the oppression.
    Fifthly, Turkey hates it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    No, it is an example of giving women equal status in society. These garments are, in my opinion, demeaning and are not a required part of being a muslim.
    So its demeaning to let women wear what they want to

But not demeaning to tell them what they cant wear, which incidentally won't apply to men

ReputationRep:
    'Islamophobia' doesn't exist, and never has existed. Phobias are psychiatric terms to describe anxiety disorders characterised by extreme and irrational fear of simple things or social situations. No-one has ever been diagnosed with this particular phobia, because it does not exist in the way arachnophobia does.
    To want to ban the Niqaab or Burkha because they inhibit everyday communication and security and are not required for religious reasons is perfectly justified and nothing to do with 'fear' of Islam (which is not so irrational when you think about the amount of atrocities committed in the name of such a violent cult, which, to date since 9/11 has committed 14,687 terrorist attacks). It is no different for me to walk around the shops and streets in a balaclava than it is for me to wear a Burkha, but I wouldn't because I respect the fact that 1.) there is no need, 2.) I am not religiously required to do so, 3.) it would scare and intimidate people and 4.) it will make it difficult for ordinary people to communicate effectively with me when my whole face is covered. This dress is only for women who's husbands are paranoid and possessive, or otherwise women who do not wish to integrate with the rest of society and feel the need to reinforce this through a physical barrier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    I see no need either, but realistically balaclava isn't allowed either, nor are motorcycle helmets. For security purposes. Theoretically, what they're partially basing it on is: "Is it not only a matter of time before some extremist imbecile either from the BNP or Islamist sections of society dresses up in a burqa and goes mental in a gvt building?"

I say burkha and niqaab are fair game if motorcycle helments and balaclava's are....after all supposedly they're not 'required' by the religion as we're so often told.....:rolleyes:
    If they are then there are other issues of oppression which it would be subject to....but hey nobody wants to go there so seeing as it's not 'required' I don't see the issue with banning it in the same way other coverings are.

I know a bank is not a public building, but AFAIK banks aren't allowed to kick women in burkhas out as a security risk under 'equality' regulations..... they're allowed to ban motorcycle helmets though.........if you bother reading the OP the new (admittedly much poorer and dumber and just generally worse) leader of UKIP says he wants to give private properties the choice of whether or not to allow burkhas and niqaabs on their premises.... fair game if you ask me...especially seeing as...again....they're not 'required' by religion and it's a 'choice':rolleyes:
    Yes fine, allow private buildings to decide to ban it from the premises, but not government buildings just because, I doubt that CAB is a mojor security risk.

(Original post by Psyk)
    I think it should depend on the public place as to whether or not they are allowed. I don't think anything should be banned without a good reason. I can understand them being banned in relatively high risk place such as airports, train stations and the like.

I suppose banks aren't public buildings, but obviously it's a place where it's quite important for security reasons that everyone who goes in can be identified. As such I'm sure a lot of banks would choose to not allow them.
    So let banks decide whether they want to allow the burka or not, that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireph)
    I take it "by a different idea" you mean that the believe that the whole female body is so alluring that it has to be concealed?
    It's not necessarily about whether it's "alluring" or not.

Even if I was in a room full of straight men, there are still certain body parts I'd want to keep covered, even though I know I'm not alluring at all to them.

Or for example, there isn't much which is alluring about a woman's ankles. But once upon a time in England, women would always be keeping them covered by wearing long skirts that went right down to the floor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    the veil (the face mask) which they want to ban, is not part of Islam
    I think many Muslims will tell you that it is an Islamic requirement.

Maybe it isn't required in mainstream Islam - but these people aren't following mainstream Islam, they're following a variant form of it which requires women to cover their faces.

If a woman believes that God has commanded her to cover her face, you can't really go and tell her "No, you don't believe that!" Her religion is her own, and she's the one who decides what is a part of her religion and what isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    So let banks decide whether they want to allow the burka or not, that's it.
    I pretty much agree with the views you've presented in this thread. Ugh, there's just not one party I'd want to vote for. It's so ridiculous because I feel like a lot of us are told off for being apathetic or not making a difference. I do actually have an interest in politics because it encompasses so much [I want to pursue it!], but I'm still disillusioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Grouping all 1.5 billion Muslims as one collective group is a great idea.
    They're all the same intolerant people who have no respect for anyone else but demand the ultimate respect for themselves.
    To criticise any other religion is perfectly acceptable but as soon as you criticise Islam you suddenly become a 'racist' even though they aren't a race, or 'Islamophobic' which is a non-existant mental condition.
    They're already above criticism, what else do they want?:mad:

ReputationRep:
    IF you are going to "ban" women from covering their whole body, then I expect the same for women who wear miniskirts and minitops, because I find that offensive and tempting

Also am going to start a "ban rampage" just let me think of more things we could ban too!

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    Surely if a bank was suspicious that women in Burkas were coming to rob them, a female member of staff could simply ask the women to remove the face covering just for her to see?

It's just like how in a passport photo you can't cover your face, but then a Burka-wearing woman is going to request that only female airport security people look at her passport.

Oh cause it's much better to force everyone else to accommodate for the irrelevant outdated barbaric concepts of some (I don't feel like debating this.... they are outdated and irrelevant... if you don't like that go ahead and neg be but I'm really not in the mood to point out the problem with it)?

FYI in canada a law was passed allowing women to vote without taking off a burkha.....so identification really can be a problem.

If i founded a new religion where I would have to cut myself every 10 minutes in order to show my devotion to 'god' and be humble.... I'm sure everyone would be completely ok with me and my adepts walking around openly cutting ourselves every 10 minutes, right?

"It's not the same" you're going to say...but it is.....it really is....if nothing else then at least because it's pretty much directly opposed to the values and views of the society I am in......

It's all about private choice.....businesses should be allowed to choose not to be accommodating.......they shouldn't be forced to submit themselves as they are now....

As for public buildings, like I said... I'll found a new religion whereby you're required to carry a fake ceremonial gun which looks realistic and wear a black balaclava wherever you go... let's see how accomodating everyone is then.:rolleyes:

Yes, it's taken to the extreme as an example, but it is valid....

(Original post by Renner)
    If I wore a balaclava down the street I would get funny looks from people and probably asked to remove it by the police, the veil should be no different.
    this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chimaira)
    They're already above criticism, what else do they want?
    Your house?

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling nice so I won't just dismiss your views as idiotic and leave it at that.

(Original post by Chimaira)
    They're all the same intolerant people who have no respect for anyone else but demand the ultimate respect for themselves.
    If you ever talk to British Muslims, you'll see the majority are pretty cool. Some even, get this, are funny and interesting and like the country they're living in and have a thoroughly good time being good citizens and generally being quite :yy:.

To criticise any other religion is perfectly acceptable but as soon as you criticise Islam you suddenly become a 'racist' even though they aren't a race, or 'Islamophobic' which is a non-existant mental condition.
    They're already above criticism, what else do they want?:mad:
    I didn't suggest that criticizing Islam was wrong. Only you can't generalize every Muslim as having the same belief and comparing the Muslims who come from the slums of a third world country as the same as someone who lives in Norf London eating Chicken Cottage and generally being a swell guy is frankly stupid.

ReputationRep:
    No it's just seasonal racism.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.