Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKIP want to ban the Niqaab and Burkha:Is this an example of Islamophobia? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    You should be able to say 'no black people' on entry to your house, you are racist but it is your property so do whatever the **** you want with it. Ban postmen and all people called clive who are 5'8 from your property if you want.
    Of course I should be able to - however, only a racist peron would want to!
    As a non-racist person, I wouldn't ban black people from my house, because it would just cause unnecessary problems between me and black people.

Similarly, assuming that UKIP (and owners of buildings etc.) don't harbour some kind of irrational prejudice against Muslim women wearing Burkas, the sensible thing to do would surely be not to ban them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    look, jews are an ethnicity, MUSLIMS ARE NOT. its that simple. the definition of ethnicity is a group that comes from a small region and are genetically similar, muslims arent this. stop degrading the word because you feel like playing the victim.
    You do realise there are black Jews right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    people like you give muslims a bad name. do you know that?

say what you want, then stick by it even when you are clearly wrong.

for the last time:

ISLAM IS NOT A ******* RACE.
    You clearly live up to your hatred and racism. It's funny you didn't tell me what that responsibility Muslims have to take? I would like to see you go up to an African and tell him your way of life and beliefs are barbaric and see if you get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Jews do not share a common ancestry or biological distinction
    http://judaism.about.com/od/abcsofju...eingjewish.htm
    from another site "The Jewish ethnicity, nationality, and religion are strongly interrelated" thats what makes them an ethnicity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yroo)
    I don't understand how simply wearing what you choose is categorised as a 'special liberty'
    To be allowed o cover your face for no other reason then a book you told you too when any-one else must have thier face uncovered is a special liberty.

Too openly discriminate against people because your religion tells you too, then claim you're being discriminated agains when you can't pracice your irrational hatred, thats a special liberty.

To set up your own lttle Kangeroo courts because a book told you that you should live only by it's laws, thats a special liberty. Anything that a citizen without the excuse of religion cannot do, but a citizen who claims religion as their motive can do, thats is a special liberty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    hahaha, yeah

Idk, it bothers me that everyone kicks up a fuss over the supposedly 'secular' burka and niqaab but when they go to the carribean and they're told they aren't allowed camouflage everyone is ok with it.

People keep saying how the religion doesn't force the burka or niqaab....fine... in that case they're subject to the same as a motorcycle helmet or balaclava would be.

or, in the case of some countries they're subject to the same that camouflage is in the carribean.

TSR is a bt too hippocritical for my liking.
    The camouflage bit - mainly cause I don't live in the Caribbean :p:
    Religion never deserves special dispensation within law. I agree same laws in that respect, but more of the attitude I think balaclavas and bike helmets should be allowed :p:

TSR- where hypocrisy is a central tenant :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Um....

You forget about the whole actual 'jewishness' being technically only passed down through the mother, don't you?
    Indeed, technically speaking, but I fail to see what common ancestry an Ethiopian jew has with a Russian Jew, or a Yemenite jew has with a polish one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Of course I should be able to - however, only a racist peron would want to!
    As a non-racist person, I wouldn't ban black people from my house, because it would just cause unnecessary problems between me and black people.

Similarly, assuming that UKIP (and owners of buildings etc.) don't harbour some kind of irrational prejudice against Muslim women wearing Burkas, the sensible thing to do would surely be not to ban them.
    Which is my point... let people decide. If subway decides no burkas then they just lost a ******** of customers but up to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I agree with you - however, here's the problem.

If I said that "from now on, no black people are allowed in my house", I'd be accused of racism. But it's my choice to allow whom I want into my house, isn't it?
    Thats discriminating on the basis of something hereditary.
    The burka is a choice - and you can discriminate against a choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I don't get what you are saying, you ban discriminations by banning the thing which is offending. If people found black or white people offensive you should ban them?

My point is there should be no need to cite religion as an excuse. They want to wear it so let them ******* wear it who cares why?
    No, no, no.
    Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

What I mean to say is this.

If something offends youu, too bad, deal with it. If it dosn't harm you, then you have no right to stop it, or take any sort of legal action about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    hahaha, yeah

Idk, it bothers me that everyone kicks up a fuss over the supposedly 'secular' burka and niqaab but when they go to the carribean and they're told they aren't allowed camouflage everyone is ok with it.

People keep saying how the religion doesn't force the burka or niqaab....fine... in that case they're subject to the same as a motorcycle helmet or balaclava would be.

or, in the case of some countries they're subject to the same that camouflage is in the carribean.

TSR is a bt too hippocritical for my liking.
    I've not seen one person endorse the camouflage law on TSR. Also, this law affects the UK and has an impact on freedom of clothing domestically so obviously will attract more attention. It's the same reason why you don't hear much about the other laws in the Caribbean such as it being illegal to commit homosexual acts even in private.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    from another site "The Jewish ethnicity, nationality, and religion are strongly interrelated" thats what makes them an ethnicity
    Sure.

(Original post by Diaz89)
    say what you want, then stick by it even when you are clearly wrong.

for the last time:

ISLAM IS NOT A ******* RACE.
    You clearly live up to your hatred and racism. It's funny you didn't tell me what that responsibility Muslims have to take? I would like to see you go up to an African and tell him your way of life and beliefs are barbaric and see if you get away with it.[/QUOTE]
    yes, you caught me out...I hate islam. (shock!)
    but, seeing as its not a race Its not racism. (it just isnt)

If muslims stopped playing the racism card they would be forced to actually think about why it is that people disagree with their belief system;thats what I meant by responsibility.

african is a race...terrible example. but, if i saw one and i thought they they were acting in a barbaric way..id tell them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Your house?
    hahahahah

ReputationRep:
    Well tbh, I doubt I'm allowed to go into banks or airports wearing a balaclava, to teach kids whilst wearing a mask. If it's deemed unacceptable for me to do so due to security or any other reasons, then religion, or in fact a culture associated with religious countries, should not give you a magic card to be special. Religion has no place in rulemaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    You clearly live up to your hatred and racism. It's funny you didn't tell me what that responsibility Muslims have to take? I would like to see you go up to an African and tell him your way of life and beliefs are barbaric and see if you get away with it.
    yes, you caught me out...I hate islam. (shock!)
    but, seeing as its not a race Its not racism. (it just isnt)
    As I stated before, you say half the things you say to Muslims and apply it to a black man you'll see what their response will be.

If muslims stopped playing the racism card they would be forced to actually think about why it is that people disagree with their belief system;thats what I meant by responsibility.
    It seems people didn't have a problem with the beliefs system of Muslims up until 10 years ago. Muslims didn't start anything, all terrorism occurs because of western actions.

african is a race...terrible example. but, if i saw one and i thought they they were acting in a barbaric way..id tell them.
    No not acting, tell them their culture or beliefs are barbaric.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like an excellent idea to me. Especially in public places - sorry I don't care if it's your 'religion' to wear a ridiculous outfit - can I go to a government office wearing a chimpanzee outfit, and through airport security? WHY NOT ITS MY RELIGION!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    To be allowed o cover your face for no other reason then a book you told you too when any-one else must have thier face uncovered is a special liberty.

Too openly discriminate against people because your religion tells you too, then claim you're being discriminated agains when you can't pracice your irrational hatred, thats a special liberty.

To set up your own lttle Kangeroo courts because a book told you that you should live only by it's laws, thats a special liberty. Anything that a citizen without the excuse of religion cannot do, but a citizen who claims religion as their motive can do, thats is a special liberty.
    And this accounts for every Muslim? And also, if covering your face because a 'book tells you too' isn't legislated against, how on earth is it a special liberty only granted to muslims?

Nearly every single post on this forum makes me feel sick, any threat a burka poses in my opinion is a mere projection of people's prejudices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireph)
    Thats discriminating on the basis of something hereditary.
    The burka is a choice - and you can discriminate against a choice
    I can discriminate against whatever I like. It's my property, I have every right not to allow black people on it.
    But because I'm not racist, I wouldn't make up such rules, because I know they'd only cause unnecessary problems.

Similarly, if UKIP (and owners of buildings) are not irrationally prejudiced against Burka-wearers, even though they have the right to ban them from their building, it'd be sensible not to. They'd just be losing their own customers, and causing unnecessary tension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    Sounds like an excellent idea to me. Especially in public places - sorry I don't care if it's your 'religion' to wear a ridiculous outfit.
    didn't realise aesthetics were a part of this debate, or is this another rejection of anything that's different or 'threatening'?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.