Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKIP want to ban the Niqaab and Burkha:Is this an example of Islamophobia? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    It seems people didn't have a problem with the beliefs system of Muslims up until 10 years ago. Muslims didn't start anything, all terrorism occurs because of western actions.
    That's a terrible generilization. Admittedley Western acions had a part in it, but you cannot say that without intolerant Religion and mind bendingly stupid doctrine the Terrorism that has occuredm, would have occured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    That's a terrible generilization. Admittedley Western acions had a part in it, but you cannot say that without intolerant Religion and mind bendingly stupid doctrine the Terrorism that has occuredm, would have occured.
    There has to be a specific cause to conjure that intolerance. People do not just read a book, misinterpret it and then attack people for no reason. There has to be an underlying problem in the world that would justify for them to take their life (as others).

(Original post by CombineHarvester)
    I've not seen one person endorse the camouflage law on TSR. Also, this law affects the UK and has an impact on freedom of clothing domestically so obviously will attract more attention. It's the same reason why you don't hear much about the other laws in the Caribbean such as it being illegal to commit homosexual acts even in private.

People *****ed when france did the same thing despite it not affecting the uk.:rolleyes:

So obviously it's deeper rooted than just 'it doesn't affect the uk'

What france does doesn't affect the UK either yet there was outrage with their moves on the burka and niqaab.

It's a sense of religious entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Your house?
    Ahaha, probably.

Indeed, technically speaking, but I fail to see what common ancestry an Ethiopian jew has with a Russian Jew, or a Yemenite jew has with a polish one.

Nothing at all. Well.... there is the whole creation myth if you buy into that

but other than that

Nothing.

But technically since it's purely matrilineal (in the strictest sensE) it can be considered a race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    No, no, no.
    Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

What I mean to say is this.

If something offends youu, too bad, deal with it. If it dosn't harm you, then you have no right to stop it, or take any sort of legal action about it.
    Excellent thanks for the clarification, I am ill an misinterpreting things left right and centre today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    People *****ed when france did the same thing despite it not affecting the uk.:rolleyes:

So obviously it's deeper rooted than just 'it doesn't affect the uk'

What france does doesn't affect the UK either yet there was outrage with their moves on the burka and niqaab.

It's a sense of religious entitlement.
    France is our closest European neighbour (apart from Ireland depending on where you are) and is a member of the EU. It also has a similar population, economy and a significant Muslim population. It's far cry from a camouflage law in the Caribbean which few people would find interest in.

ReputationRep:
    There has to be a specific cause to conjure that intolerance. People do not just read a book, misinterpret it and then attack people for no reason. There has to be an underlying problem in the world that would justify for them to take their life (as others).
    Pah, you have too much faith in humanity. They only need a percieved reason. Not a real one.

Their book tells them that Person B is bad. Person B says something they don't agrre with. Person B should die, God says so.

It can be as simple as that. Just look at the Dutch Cartoonist and his images of Muhhamed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Excellent thanks for the clarification, I am ill an misinterpreting things left right and centre today
    Thats ok, reading it back I didn't really write t in a way that made sense :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I agree with public buildings such as airports. But I really don't think it's the government's business what people wear in the streets and in private establishments. I think privately owned restaurants and shops should be able to set their own policies on it without government interference either way.
    yeah but cant shops get into trouble for asking people to remove it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    yeah but cant shops get into trouble for asking people to remove it?
    Currently that is probably true. But I don't think it should be. I think wishing to be able to see your customers faces is a reasonable request for security reasons.

(Original post by CombineHarvester)
    France is our closest European neighbour (apart from Ireland depending on where you are) and is a member of the EU. It also has a similar population, economy and a significant Muslim population. It's far cry from a camouflage law in the Caribbean which few people would find interest in.

Alright then.

Switzerland, minaret ban.

I can go on if you would like. You and I both know this goes beyond the freedom to wear any specific clothing and rather into the religion category and the only reason anybody cares is because it's Islam and hey...what fun is religion if we can't be oversensitive asses?

Rest assured that is burberry caps were to be banned nobody in england would so much as twitch.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think for public places, such as airports, it makes perfect sense :dontknow:. In private places the government shouldn't have a say one way or the other.

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't UKIP et al help to liberate the hundreds of women trapped in Prostitution in their countries instead? I think that is more of a dangerous and sad situation than a woman covering herself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    if you find it "tempting" to rape women or do whatever to them because they wear short skirts it is you who has the problem
    If you find it offensive or weird that a woman fully covers her body, then "it is you who has the problem"

I worked in the Middle East (Qatar specifically) and women there cover everything, and I got used to it, so should you

btw, most rape incidents happen because of what women wear, it was on survey a few years ago

Plus, if a man doesn't get tempted by a woman who reveals half of her body, then something is wrong with him, he is either gay or his balls have been chopped off

btw, "tempting" doesn't necessary mean or equal rape

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Alright then.

I can go on if you would like. You and I both know this goes beyond the freedom to wear any specific clothing and rather into the religion category and the only reason anybody cares is because it's Islam and hey...what fun is religion if we can't be oversensitive asses?

Rest assured that is burberry caps were to be banned nobody in england would so much as twitch.
    Again, EU. It's more to do with freedom of religion rather than solely being about Islam. If it happened with other religions there'd still be a lot of exposure. I'd say Burberry would create a massive uproar and receive support from the fashion industry and lobby to change it. It could quite easily become a global story let alone a national one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Media student)
    If you find it offensive or weird that a woman fully covers her body, then "it is you who has the problem"

I worked in the Middle East (Qatar specifically) and women there cover everything, and I got used to it, so should you

btw, most rape incidents happen because of what women wear, it was on survey a few years ago

Plus, if a man doesn't get tempted by a woman who reveals half of her body, then something is wrong with him, he is either gay or his balls have been chopped off

btw, "tempting" doesn't necessary mean or equal rape
    no, if you have desires which you feel you cant control because of a womans way of dressing its you who has a lack of self control. it says a lot about religious followers if one half are forced to dress completely from head to toe in order to stop the other half from abusing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Alright then.

I would be ****** off and probably instantly start trying to wear one.

The reason I don't get uppity about camo etc is that it isn't my country.

ReputationRep:
    islamophobia is a retarded concept.
    a phobia is an irrational fear. what most people are referring to saying "islamophobia" is a rational dislike.

ReputationRep:
    "this is incompatible with Britain’s values of freedom"

LOL pots and kettles...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.