Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKIP want to ban the Niqaab and Burkha:Is this an example of Islamophobia? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You're considered a danger to the security of everyone, for example, in a bank if you walk in with a motorbike helmet on, or a balaclava... why should you be allowed to wear a burkha?

I mean I get it, tolerance for people's religious beliefs. But does that then mean I can invent my own belief and be allowed to get round the law (or even get the law changed) just for me and my fellow believers. Its possible to be too tolerant of other people's beliefs and actions, just need to find that balance.

There's also a line, I believe, between covering your head and covering your face. Its the covering of everything but the eyes that is the issue.

No its not islamophobia, imo.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see it as persecution of Islam at all. It's just a valid security consideration. I think it's logical that this takes priority over tolerance of others' beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Currently that is probably true. But I don't think it should be. I think wishing to be able to see your customers faces is a reasonable request for security reasons.
    I think the goverment should just say "its their place, their rules, dont like it dont go in there" and the owners shouldnt get any kind of legal/ social trouble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrChem)
    You're considered a danger to the security of everyone, for example, in a bank if you walk in with a motorbike helmet on, or a balaclava... why should you be allowed to wear a burkha?

I mean I get it, tolerance for people's religious beliefs. But does that then mean I can invent my own belief and be allowed to get round the law (or even get the law changed) just for me and my fellow believers. Its possible to be too tolerant of other people's beliefs and actions, just need to find that balance.

There's also a line, I believe, between covering your head and covering your face. Its the covering of everything but the eyes that is the issue.

No its not islamophobia, imo.
    You always use the aiport, bank and shop examples. Such a ****.

(Original post by crazylemon)
    I would be ****** off and probably instantly start trying to wear one.

The reason I don't get uppity about camo etc is that it isn't my country.

Again - why care aabout france then?

ReputationRep:
    Covering your face is not compulsory as a woman in Islam, although some women do choose to do so.
    It is that woman's choice how she dresses.
    Its ridiculous how people automatically assume she must be oppressed, the purpose of covering is to make her feel protected and safe.
    If she does not want to cover her face, she doesn't have to!
    The idea of it being against British values of freedom is ludicrous..
    So a woman made to dress in a way which expoilts her sexuality is not oppression too?
    Yet, everyone will say that it is her choice, when it could easily be due to pressure she is under..
    In each case, there is scope for being pressured into it, yet for the majority, it is their choice..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Currently that is probably true. But I don't think it should be. I think wishing to be able to see your customers faces is a reasonable request for security reasons.
    To the best of my knowledge, it's perfectly legal to require people to uncover their faces on your own premises, including business premises. Certainly my university requires it, and as far as I know there's never been any problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Again - why care aabout france then?
    I don't, frenchies can do what they like.

I don't, frenchies can do what they like.

Most people on this thread *****ed about france though when it did the same....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    no, if you have desires which you feel you cant control because of a womans way of dressing its you who has a lack of self control. it says a lot about religious followers if one half are forced to dress completely from head to toe in order to stop the other half from abusing them.
    women who wear miniskirts and minitops arent really dressing are they? more like asking for it

and I wonder why rape crimes in the Muslim countries (where they impose burkhs) is very low if any, I guess its a one solution for the rape problem in this country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Pointless. Let other country govern themselves, sort the UK out first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidrah)
    Covering your face is not compulsory as a woman in Islam, although some women do choose to do so.
    It is that woman's choice how she dresses.
    Its ridiculous how people automatically assume she must be oppressed, the purpose of covering is to make her feel protected and safe.
    If she does not want to cover her face, she doesn't have to!
    The idea of it being against British values of freedom is ludicrous..
    So a woman made to dress in a way which expoilts her sexuality is not oppression too?
    Yet, everyone will say that it is her choice, when it could easily be due to pressure she is under..
    In each case, there is scope for being pressured into it, yet for the majority, it is their choice..
    This ^

Pointless. Let other country govern themselves, sort the UK out first.

Agreed....just saying those who ***** on every simmilar thread about very specifically just the burkha and niqaab and say it is incomparable to motorcycle helmets or balaclavas should also ***** bout camo in the carribean too....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Media student)
    women who wear miniskirts and minitops arent really dressing are they? more like asking for it

and I wonder why rape crimes in the Muslim countries (where they impose burkhs) is very low if any, I guess its a one solution for the rape problem in this country
    no theyre not asking for it :rofl2: a man has no right to rape/grope a woman because she is wearing revealing clothes.

it could be anything, say oh i dont know, the death penalty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    I've given my thoughts on banning the Niqaabd and Burka before, so I won't repeat myself, however I'd like to say something about "Islamophobia".

Guess what people, it doesn't exist :teehee:

I'm serious. Islamophobia doesn't exist anymore than "Christianophobia" or "Atheistophobia" exist. It's just another buzzword invented by the government/media to try to discredit anything which remotely opposes the dogmas of Islam. If being "Islamophobic" means that I'm afraid of Islam, or that I dislike/hate Islam, then I'm proud to be Islamophobic, because it means I hate a completely barbaric and oppressive doctrine of lies. And I'd do exactly the same thing for Christianity.
    Whether words exist is not open to conjecture. And a phobia is, by definition, an irrational fear. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    That's because the thread was asking if this should be expanded to the UK. Make a similar thread about camouflage and whether the ban should be extended to the UK and see what the response is.

ReputationRep:

The reason rape counts are low in Muslim countries is because it's acceptable or it goes under the radar because a woman is property to her husband/man and is meant to serve him. In UK marital rape wasn't a crime until 1991 and so I think marital rape would happen quite often in Muslim countries like it used to go under the radar here.

I say this for any country that claims its rape count is low.

ReputationRep:
    People who say it isnt required by Islam to wear the burqa are correct but that isnt the point. A lot of things that are part of religion arent required by any scriptures but they are still part of the religion. This ban is preventing choice not providing it. Also, everyone talks about how it is for security purposes but how many reports are there of Muslims wearing burqas committing crimes? Also, those who say I could just create a religion today saying "wear balaclavas all the time" or something equivalent, dont understand religion. It isnt made up to make people uncomfortable or to disturb the peace, it may make people uncomfortable but that isnt the purpose. So it wouldnt be the same, the purposes are for religious reasons. Also, these religions are thousands of years old so they are not the same as someone on TSR making one up to suit them. They were not founded to suit someones life, they were founded to give people guidance on how to live their life and burqas are an interpretation of that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinsforever)
    People who say it isnt required by Islam to wear the burqa are correct but that isnt the point. A lot of things that are part of religion arent required by any scriptures but they are still part of the religion. This ban is preventing choice not providing it. Also, everyone talks about how it is for security purposes but how many reports are there of Muslims wearing burqas committing crimes? Also, those who say I could just create a religion today saying "wear balaclavas all the time" or something equivalent, dont understand religion. It isnt made up to make people uncomfortable or to disturb the peace, it may make people uncomfortable but that isnt the purpose. So it wouldnt be the same, the purposes are for religious reasons. Also, these religions are thousands of years old so they are not the same as someone on TSR making one up to suit them. They were not founded to suit someones life, they were founded to give people guidance on how to live their life and burqas are an interpretation of that!
    quite a few, actually :\ and the rest wont get reported by the news because they dont want to risk offending muslims

ReputationRep:

No, they're not asking for it. People should be free to act as they wish without fear of violence or otherwise.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.