Turn on thread page Beta

Death in the family... affecting uni work. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My uncle passed away in Iran earlier this week, i heard about it on Tuesday.
    I had two Cw's due on Friday and did not manage to make the deadline, firstly i wasn't expecting the death to put me off my work so much and secondly the work was bloody hard. I was silly and didnt hand in any work on friday so it means that all my work will now be capped at 40%.
    I was wondering is it to late to tell the university about the death, the thing is i didnt do this earlier because, it didnt effect me physical such as me having to go home ect.
    If i was to put in an appeal would i need to provide proof of death, because i cant.

ReputationRep:
    It's best to put in a request ahead of deadlines, but they might be sympathetic if you put one in quickly. It might seem just like an excuse though, sorry to say.

Usually a death certificate is required but if you explain the circumstances then they might not need one, how did you hear about it? Does whoever told you have any evidence?

Phone a school secretary maybe, and ask what the policy is?

ReputationRep:
    They might give you mitigating circumstances if you can provide some evidence.

I don't know though, universities are really harsh about deadlines. I missed a deadline in second year because I was taken into hospital the day before and I was let out after the deadline had passed on the day, and even with a medical note I still had trouble getting an extension.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly my condolences, recently had to go through the same thing: it still upsets me. Secondly it depends on uni policy, most insist on being informed prior to the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LOCI)
    My uncle passed away in Iran earlier this week, i heard about it on Tuesday.
    I had two Cw's due on Friday and did not manage to make the deadline, firstly i wasn't expecting the death to put me off my work so much and secondly the work was bloody hard. I was silly and didnt hand in any work on friday so it means that all my work will now be capped at 40%.
    I was wondering is it to late to tell the university about the death, the thing is i didnt do this earlier because, it didnt effect me physical such as me having to go home ect.
    If i was to put in an appeal would i need to provide proof of death, because i cant.
    Claim Extenuating Circumstances.. your uni should have forms for it. go to the help desk or the office of your department and ask for such a form..

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)
    Firstly my condolences, recently had to go through the same thing: it still upsets me. Secondly it depends on uni policy, most insist on being informed prior to the deadline.
    And some are even as harsh as to classify only 'immediate' family.

ReputationRep:
    talk to the uni, if you tell them before the deadline and are generally a good student, then they should.....

ReputationRep:
    I think the best idea would be to let the university know, don't just suffer in silence If they have any heart then they should understand. It would have been a good idea to tell them earlier, but it's obviously affected you so it's understandable to not want to talk about it straight away. But yeah, talk to the university and see what they say, I hope it all works out for you and god bless your uncle
    xx

ReputationRep:
    *affecting.

ReputationRep:
    You usually need to tell them before the deadline and could well be asked to provide evidence so they know it's not just an excuse. Even then some departments are not particularly sympathetic. I had an unexpected death in my immediate family a few days before an essay deadline (worth 40% of my grade for that class) and I was given a three day extension, basically over the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about your bereavement, Loci.Bereavement can affect people in many different ways. Have you experienced the loss of someone close before? If not, then you will not know what to expect in terms of reactions.Whether the death was sudden or expected can also have a bearing on how we react. Even if you were not particularly close to someone in the family, does not not mean that a death will not have an impact upon you as an uncle will be a close relative of one of your parents, so there are wider implications, need for support perhaps etc. It is not unusual to carry on immediately as if all is OK-it is a way of allowing ourselves to carry on and possibly keep ourselves safe, but it can mean that we cannot concentrate. When the numbness wears off, you may feel tearful, angry etc. It may seem unreal, particularly as you are not travelling to the funeral.
    Your uni will have a student support department to support you in these circumstances.Ask for an appointment as a matter of urgency first. You may not need counselling from them, but they can usually help in arranging for later deadlines for work when students are experiencing personal problems. Also, write or speak to your personal tutor and the lecturer concerned as soon as possible and explain that you tried to complete the work but did not expect your uncle's death to affect you as much as it has, that you had difficulty thinking straight and ask for more help with the module that you were finding hard anyway. It would be unusual to obtain a death certificate in this country as soon as this, let alone from abroad.I did not have to provide a death certificate when I had a similar situation.The last thing that they will want is for a student to bomb on grades because of personal problems.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities don't accept retrospective pleas for mitigating circumstances. You should have done it before the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your help.
    The problem i have is that last years grades were not that good either, i failed two modules last year and only managed to pass one during re-sits, meaning that in the semester coming up ill have a extra module to takle on top of the other three.
    This all means that i have a bad rep with the university, if they see a good student fail suddenly because of a outside problem then they will be given more time ect, but to a student who does badly or just about passes then its inevitable for them to think is it the death or the laziness kicking in.
    I try my hardest when it comes to my course and well last year was and i didnt want to progress but was convince by my father that my dissertation will boast my marks so i continued.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Most universities don't accept retrospective pleas for mitigating circumstances. You should have done it before the deadline.
    And i think this is true for my uni. I will go in tomorrow and beg that they suspend my course OR even allow me to start the year again, i dont see why not they earn this years money and next years without it hurting them to much.

ReputationRep:
    You were already under pressure because of needing to deal with issues from last year and family pressure and the death of your uncle is not the only issue you are having to deal with, but part of an accumulation of pressure. Student counselling services would help you to look at the best options for you and would provide you with the necessary emotional support at present. They may well act as your advocate with the powers that be.It is far better to go through student services usually than just talking to a subject tutor. It may be a good idea to see the GP as well, as the authorities would take notice of the doctor if you are emotionally vulnerable and need a break.Hope that things work out OK.

ReputationRep:
    NOT very helpful after the event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camelid)
    NOT very helpful after the event.
    Neither is applying for mitigating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Neither is applying for mitigating circumstances.
    :no:
    It is worth asking for support and time to complete work-the worst they can say is "No", whereas your response leads to no improvement in a situation and could make a bad situation worse.I have known LOCI's uni to be helpful in a number of cases.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.