Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My favourite pair of socks are ones my dad got me ages ago from Turkey. They are really thick, knitted and AMAZING!! Sadly I have worn them so much they have seen much better days. I would love to try and find a new pair similar but am not going to Turkey anytime soon, nor do I know anyone who will be.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a hardcore knitted pair of socks?

These are basically the same as the ones I have but are a different colour

Alternatively I could try and knit a pair- there are lots of patterns for socks but I have never knitted before- if anyone has ever knitted a pair of socks- how difficult is it for a beginner?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    topshop have knitted socks like that... they're not online, but i've definitely seen them in the oxford st store

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    My favourite pair of socks are ones my dad got me ages ago from Turkey. They are really thick, knitted and AMAZING!! Sadly I have worn them so much they have seen much better days. I would love to try and find a new pair similar but am not going to Turkey anytime soon, nor do I know anyone who will be.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a hardcore knitted pair of socks?

These are basically the same as the ones I have but are a different colour

Alternatively I could try and knit a pair- there are lots of patterns for socks but I have never knitted before- if anyone has ever knitted a pair of socks- how difficult is it for a beginner?

Thanks
    I would advise you not to start off by knitting socks: they are usually knit in the round on quite thin double pointed needles, and this takes a while to get used to. The socks in the photo would also need you to know how to do stranded knitting and/or intarsia, which is something it would be wise to have a bit of experience before trying. It's definitely not impossible for you to learn how to make these, but I would say that replicating these socks would be a bit ambitious for a first project.

ReputationRep:
    Jack Wills [link] have quite a few pairs (especially in the sale), too.

ReputationRep:
    Topshop had some last time I checked.

And knitting a pair like that with pattern sounds like a bad idea, they'll end up really odd looking unless you're a master with a pair of needles , knitting is so much harder than it looks XD

ReputationRep:
    Knitting socks is actually pretty easy, but it's hard to learn just from looking at a pattern. If you know anyone who can knit then get them to teach you, or failing that see if there's any how-tos on youtube.

And if you learn to knit then you never have to buy anyone presents ever again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.