Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why is British Society so pessimistic about everything? watch

ReputationRep:
    Whether it be on the current economic climate, immigration, jobs, cars, girls, cats, frogs etc.
    We seem to have a pessimistic view on everything.

And it surprises me how when hundreds of thousands people have died in Haiti some people have the nerve to say "They gonna come immigrate to the UK or "More Aid money wasted outside instead in our country",
    I mean like the wtf

ReputationRep:
    Retards exist in every country. But you're confusing pessimism with just general ****ishness, I do quite like our generally sceptical ways.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't generalise like that, I'm not like that at all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well OP that is lame for someone to say that. But I totally agree, we're so cynical about everything.
    We're so sarcastic about things! Going to other countries I've noticed how we British stress out about the littlest things, and take the piss out of people for being truthful etc.
    All we want at the end of the day is a suntan and a drink in the pub.

ReputationRep:
    Because there's not much to be optimistic about tbf.
    & unfortunately, cynicism is often synonymous with wisdom.

ReputationRep:
    It's part of the national psyche and built into the genetic fabric of all Brits. They are a naturally sceptical and cynical people and in many ways that's a good thing.

Plus of course, most Brits realise that the country is in the soup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darknessbehold)
    Whether it be on the current economic climate, immigration, jobs, cars, girls, cats, frogs etc.

And it surprises me how when hundreds of thousands people have died in Haiti some people have the nerve to say "They gonna come immigrate to the UK or "More Aid money wasted outside instead in our country",
    I mean like the wtf

Happy People remain quite, but the sad people come online and moan so that makes the happy people on the internet think everyone is sad

ReputationRep:
    I love the fact that we are cynical, pessimistic and sarcastic. It something to be proud about. No where else, could you find such realism than in Britain.
    I am never happy about anything, even the little things in life piss me off, and I am 18. I am glad.

ReputationRep:
    I blame the media, especially the Daily Mail.

ReputationRep:
    because lifes a *****

ReputationRep:
    I sort of love hate the pessimism but its turned me depressed - i am overpessimistic

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to be optimistic with Britiain in its current state. Us Brits are just realistic, and we're not really deluded by blinding patriotism, we call things how they are and react accordingly.

I think that's a great thing to have actually, because the moment people believe there's nothing wrong and everything's perfect is when they're just limiting the progression and improvement of a country. By finding the flaws in even the best of things means we can all continue to strive to reach greater feats and do even better things.

ReputationRep:
    I do not think most people in this country on average are less happy or less optimistic than people in other countries. It's just the social convention here to complain about stuff. Really, I don't know how many times I've moaned about stuff here that I really couldn't give a **** about just because I was trying to make conversation.

EDIT: What the hell is wrong with this thread?

ReputationRep:
    because life is **** an pretending otherwise is childish and naieve

ReputationRep:
    We have very good reason to be pessimistic about most of these things.
    Pessimism is a very good thing sometimes though - sugar coating things, telling yourself everything is fine and generally ignoring problems is a recipe for disaster when applied on a national level. The government has been doing exactly this for the last decade and look where it's got us - knee deep in debt and a broken society.

ReputationRep:
    It's our charm. The only downside is that it means generally our psyche is very conservative, for me that is a downside for some it's a benefit.

ReputationRep:
    It's fun to be pessimistic about everything
    Although I'm an optimist so I don't know why I'm saying that haha :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Meta-cynicism.

I believe that nowadays most of us are more apathetic than cynical.

ReputationRep:
    I think of myself as an optimist. I have a roof over my head, drinking water that won't kill me, free healthcare, education, a decent life expectancy and friends and family. What's not to like?

"They gonna come immigrate to the UK or "More Aid money wasted outside instead in our country",
    I mean like the wtf
    Anyone who thinks this way is a moron. If we continue to allow other people to live in poverty then they are obviously going to go elsewhere for a better life, namely for the things I mentioned above, which isn't so common in Haiti, sadly, but we have it over here.

But obviously I am in the minority.

ReputationRep:
    Brits seem to be very apathetic. I also think that the stereo-typical manic-depressive Brit is somewhat rare now; Morrissey, lead-singer of the The Smiths epitomized that trait; he summed up within his music the Thatcher years, for example.

There is something very seductive about men like Morrissey; same with James Dean; he had that gloomy seriousness about him.

Having spent 6 years doing bar work; young girls and guys are nowhere near as pessimistic as they were in the 80s, but they are much more apathetic.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.